Variants of exisiting/upcoming modules.

Harlikwin

So, thinking about the F16 mav loadout thread. And the upcoming F14A.

As we know, we have the early 2000's versions of the F18 and F16C. However those versions aren't always hugely upgraded compared to previous versions, i.e. a block40 F16 or earlier blocks of the hornet. The main things being avionics upgrades. Would there be interest in a system to "disable" certain features on the later blocks (HMD's for example) to more or less model earlier. I realize it wouldn't be perfect but it could be an easy way to get "older" versions into the game. I realize it wouldn't "full fidelity" or whatnot, but there are alot of people that are interested in the 80's or 90's variants of these planes for "historical" missions. Also, Dev wise I'm wondering how much additional effort "earlier" variants would need, in the case of the F14A vs B its clearly some additional effort, but its clearly not 100%, but maybe ~20% to do a reasonably close variant.

Discuss.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yes! For example, as far as I know, back in 2007 in the F-16s you had to choose between a JHMCS helmet or a regular one with support for night vision. As it is in the F-18 right now you can use night vision even though you have JHMCS which is not realistic AFAIK. That's just one example of something that's easy to do but increases realism and balancing.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Hmmm, disabling avionics is one thing, disabling some antennas on the model is another.

Yeah, but I'm talking a 80-90% fidelity approach to get more planes in the game. I don't look at the external model when I'm flying it. Also from an additional actual development standpoint stuff like that strikes me as fairly easy to do. Probably the hardest "might" be dealing with thrust/performance changes for the various F16 engines but I don't know how the actual FM coding works, it might be as changing the thrust value.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I wouldn't mind this, in both directions. So disabling features to simulate an older variant or enabling extra features to simulate possibly a new/different variant (like allowing carrying weapons not specifically usable by a certain module).

The only thing is that whatever is module not accurate should be clearly labeled to avoid confusion. They'd be options you have to toggle on.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

+1 I quite like this idea - I'm on board with variant authenticity, not for just time period but also for exports.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I wouldn't mind this, in both directions. So disabling features to simulate an older variant or enabling extra features to simulate possibly a new/different variant (like allowing carrying weapons not specifically usable by a certain module).

The only thing is that whatever is module not accurate should be clearly labeled to avoid confusion. They'd be options you have to toggle on.

Yup, thats exactly what I'm thinking. With some sort of full ED support.

The current F18 which is lot20 IIRC, means you could probably fairly realistically go back to a lot 16 (1993 era) hornet (APG65 radar prior to that would be a big change).

Well I kind of do this already (if I am bringing AIM-9M's and Sparrow's the JHMCS stays off) but yeah might be interesting, perhaps as an option for scenario makers to use to make planes functionally period correct?

I do it for certain scenarios I build as my interest is more the 80's and 90's. I'd just like some formal ED support so you could setup a 90's era server or whatnot, and limit loadouts and functionality to that era. Or as the other guy suggested nation specific variants.

Of course with the caveat that those variants wouldn't be 100% right.