GPU or CPU?

Thanks, but that thread just discusses hardware.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Sigh) i would like to see this question answered as well . Just got some unexpected results from an Oculus debug optimisation . Funny how you can stumble across really significant info , but getting a straight answer to a simple question ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

My guess is the settings mostly work on your GPU, while the battlefield (amount of units, how many AI, how many instructions, etc) works on your CPU (& RAM), this is basically just calculating (CPU) while the former is rendering (GPU).

At least, that's what my own logic tells me. ;)

The modules use DLLs developed by the module maker. They can do everything in there.
Yeah, but while it's good to spread out the load it might not matter much to us when we choose CPU. Because there might be 30 threads but 60 % of the work could still be done on one of those threads. In that particular case a 2 core CPU would be enough because the performance on that main thread is what's critical. The other core can easily keep up even if it runs all the 29 other threads and some background processes all by itself.

Long story short, good single thread performance is still more important than getting a CPU with lots of cores.

Hopefully one day..... it will be mostly GPU.

Any half decent CPU will do the job well.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Not that bad after all

Well after some more testing and UNCHECKING my Vsync I can say this:

My FPS are in the 50's (X4 MSAA , X4 aniso, all setting on HIGH, VIS range ultra no CIV traffic)

on extremely dense areas or lots of air trafiic going on they can drop to high 20's

Only thing still present are the occasional BLACK FLICKERS here and there which I don't know where they come from or what are they all about.

SB11

CPU: intel Core i7 9700K ~ 3.6 GHZ , nVidia RTX2060 SUPER, 32GB 3300 Mhz RAM, DELL 24" LED. Windows 10

Well after some more testing and UNCHECKING my Vsync I can say this:

My FPS are in the 50's (X4 MSAA , X4 aniso, all setting on HIGH, VIS range ultra no CIV traffic)

on extremely dense areas or lots of air trafiic going on they can drop to high 20's

Only thing still present are the occasional BLACK FLICKERS here and there which I don't know where they come from or what are they all about.

SB11

I would check to see what difference you see when changing graphics to high instead of ultra.

Shadows are the biggest hit - try lowering them.

For best performance your System drive should be a SSD NVM M.2 (even with 32 gb RAM DCS, or probably the Windows system, still writes to continuously to the page file.)

Your DCS Drive should be an SSD as DCS writes (only a small amount) to this drive - and turn off the track file)

And finally, make sure DCS is running on more than one core - since the second last Beta update mine now randomly starts with either 1 or all selected.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243170

In VR - which requires more grunt than normal, I get a steady 30 to 45 FPS with no stutters and no flickers on busy MP servers on all maps in all areas - and my pc is nearly 3 years old!

One big but - for VR I’ve found the sweet spot for my CPU is 4ghz. Lower than this and even with all the above my frame rates are halved.

Edited by JimmyWA

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller

• 1 month later...

About 7 pages back silentbob, I advised a gpu rather than a cpu, so after 16 pages of good and bad advice I can set you straight. I was told a GPU upgrade with my 7+ year old 3770K, I would not notice any difference.

Sitting on the runway on the free flight Huey Persian gulf map

Overclocked GTX 970, everything on low, no eye candy, PD of 1.2, 2xAA I was getting 22 FPS.

Stock 2080 everything on high, PD of 1.5, 16xAA, 4xMSAA 2xSSAA, visib range ultra, I am getting 45 FPS.

So to answer you opening question, a GPU

Edited by Bearskin

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

Stock 2080 everything on high, PD of 1.5, 16xAA, 4xMSAA 2xSSAA, visib range ultra, I am getting 45 FPS.

So to answer you opening question, a GPU

I agree, same here. With i9 9900k and my old 1080 (with Rift S) around 20s, when I put the same system with the 2080ti the story totally changed. So yes, GPU. (or both) :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb