Good fit for a mud mover?

Auger

Fairly new to the DCS world but I'm finding I enjoy mud moving and SEAD missions over dogfighting. My favorite planes so far are the A10A, SU25T and the A-4E-C. I really enjoy flying the A-4 but not many servers have it.

I'm wanting to get a plane with a HF cockpit, but I think the A10C may be a bit to advanced at this time.

Would the F-5 be a good fit for someone who likes to primarily move mud with a little A2A on the side?

Thanks

If you like to drop bombs with fixed sights... as far as mud moving goes, it's just like A-4 but with pointy nose.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The only real mud mover is the A-10C. It's not as complicated as you might think. You don't have to know everything about it in the first flight. There are good training missions and you will have fun with it quite soon after your first few flights. The F-5E isn't really fun to fly in the A/G role.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I agree. The A-10C is a mud mover through and through and has the most interesting mission types. You'd already be familiar with it though, if you already fly the A-10A.

The Viggen might fit the profile of what you want.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

as far as mud moving goes, it's just like A-4 but with pointy nose.

:thumbup: If you want a "mud mover" with similar A-G capabilities to the A-4, but supersonic and with A-A radar, the F-5 is your plane.

Edited by Kongamato

I think the F-5 is a fantastic mud mover, a mini Thud :). I use it for strikes and interdictions, larger scale targets like buildings - oil refineries, factories, bridges, rail yards, communication towers, warehouses, trains, supply columns. Never single units, not really cut out for that, but is good practice though, hitting a single unit with a pair of mk82's.

t3aEwT6.jpg

- Some snakeeye practice.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

The F-5 can carry a decent bomb or rocket load, but compared to anything but WW2 planes and the A-4, it's very manual and very basic. Personally I don't enjoy it a ton, you have to be very exact or your bombs will not land on target.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

If you can afford it, the F/A-18C is going to give you the most bang for the buck. Even in it's unfinished state it has more capability than most other modules. It is easy to learn, and hard to master. Perfect for investing a lot of time as more features are added.

If your budget doesn't allow for that and you want to move mud and perform SEAD, I recommend the A-10C, Harrier, or Viggen.

The F-5E is amazing, and worth owning if you have the resources to afford it in your library, but it is extremely limited compared to other modules in the ground attack area. It is marginally better than a P-51 or F-86 with regards to delivery of rockets and bombs because it can carry more.

If you already like the A-10A, the "C" will add all the icing onto that cake that you are currently missing (fully clickable cockpit, and all the fun precision guided munitions). You can very quickly learn how to bomb, shoot mavericks, and use the targeting pod without having to dive deep into the systems.

The Harrier is also a good option. While it is not fully complete yet, it is complete enough to pound the ground with a similar load out to the A-10C, and it is a decent within visual range dog-fighter that can defend itself. It is a gamble on how long it will take to mature to completion, but I see people flying and enjoying it every day despite the rough edges. If I wasn't addicted to the Tomcat, I would still be flying the Harrier along with all the other modules depending on my mood.

The Viggen is unique and awesome! It is a striker that is best suited for a fast (edge of Mach) nap of the earth approach/attack. It can also carry 4 mavericks and a couple heat seekers to make things interesting. The last patch introduced a bug that can cause the game to crash when you try to use the Viggen. So if you decide to get it, be prepared to wait until the next patch cycle to use it.

Let's not overlook the M-2000C. It's dumb bomb load is comparable to the F-5, but has a much better radar and can carry SARH missiles in addition to the heaters.

not to mention is still more accurate with dumb bombs because of CCIP & CRRP delivery modes.

hell even the F14 Tomcat has pretty good mud moving capabilities given its main role of "Fleet defender" itl even come with Precision strike capability due to being able to self designate laser guided muntions with lantirn pod.

Though all in all the most versatile platform even for A/G is the Hornet right now..

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The F-5 won't be too different from the A-4 considering fixed sights that require depression tables. Its payload is much smaller, though.

Honestly, I find the F-5 to be more of a theory trainer than anything else. Rudder coordination for graduating up to something like the Tomcat, or playing with bombing physics using the fixed sights.

Surely the right solution is the Viggen. Completely different to the A10 for how it delivers, but still a brilliant strike aircraft.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thanks for the input.

Considering how much enjoyment I get out of the A10A, I decided to put some effort in to learning the A10C. Just something about the Hawg that always puts a smile on my face.

Thanks for the input.

Considering how much enjoyment I get out of the A10A, I decided to put some effort in to learning the A10C. Just something about the Hawg that always puts a smile on my face.

I'm sure you made the right decision. :)

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Thanks for the input.

It´s your choice, of course, but it´s a limited plane since it has zero A-A capabilities. At the end, even prefering one role over others, I think is way more funny to fly a plane that can perform several roles. It adds variety to the simulation. Usually, people gets tired of making always the same kind of task.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank to those recommending the F5.

Decided to get both the A10C and the F5. Haven't started studying the A10C yet, but I've been working with the F5. What a blast! Love me some GBU12 laser guided bombs. Zoom and BOOM! Good fun.

I'm on the bottom rung when it comes to A2A though. I've got a long way to go till I learn how to dogfight a Mig29 and stand any chance.

the f-5's greatest strength is its very small spot size, so you will find yourself having better luck against people than the ai in the wvr arena. work on setting up engagements such that you can avoid the bvr fight and you'll be in a good spot.

the dogfight is the leastmost of methods for killing people, don't overemphasize it. put your effort into thinking about how to avoid it.

Honestly, the F-5E does come into its own in the ground attack role. I'll usually opt for it over the A-10 since I can scoot in fast, unload bombs or rockets, then scoot right out dumping flares. The only time I'll pick the A-10 is if a very very fine degree of accuracy is required in the form of Mavericks or LGBs.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!