Distance limits for RSBN/PRMG

Bahger

I can't get the two green lights on the RSBN panel for Krymsk while sitting on the runway at Sochi. Distance is about 120 km. I can't get Krasnodar Central either. I'm wondering what the distance limits are for this nav system or even if they are line-of-sight. Before I try to fly this IFR exercise I would appreciate some intel on this, as perhaps I am doing something wrong (although I have studied xJohnxx's excellent tutorial video intently...) Many thanks.

Update: I flew the exercise and couldn't get Krymsk RSBN at all but I dialed in the NDB instead and then picked up Krasnodar Central, to which I turned directly after overflying the Krymsk NDB. I think the Krymsk RSBN must be out of service...

Edited by Bahger

I'm wondering what the distance limits are for this nav system or even if they are line-of-sight.

AFAIK, RSBN is a short range, UHF (1000 MHz), line-of-sight air navigation system.

I haven't checked DCS's range limits but a Russian source gives

• 500 km - the altitude of the aircraft 35 000 m;

• 380 km - the altitude of the aircraft 12 000 m;

• 250 km - at the height of the plane 5 000 m;

• 50 km - at the height of the plane of 250 m.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Just tested this, works fine for me from 230km away at 5,000m altitude.

Interesting. I couldn't get Krymsk at all in Ch. 28 but had no trouble with Krasnodar Central on Ch. 40 and that was further away. Odd. Thanks for testing.