Which Headset?

SilentGun

But VR is still in the space that for the next 6 yesrs, I'm guessing, each new generation will have major advances making the former series seem very lacking.

I totally agree, which is why I don't think the $5k like the Xtal headsets are really practical unless you are just gonna toss another stack of hundies on the fire...

I recently had to go back to my CV1 when my Reverb broke. That was a rude reminder of how "bad" VR was 2 years ago (even though we thought it was great).

I've called the reverb the first gen2 headset in terms of resolution/ppd. And I think next year we will likely see some others, frankly I was surprised we didn't see that this year. I'm keeping high hopes for Acer and especially Samsung to knock it out of the park next year. And if not then I'm sure HP/Occulus/HTC/Valve will in 2021.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I totally agree, which is why I don't think the $5k like the Xtal headsets are really practical unless you are just gonna toss another stack of hundies on the fire...

I recently had to go back to my CV1 when my Reverb broke. That was a rude reminder of how "bad" VR was 2 years ago (even though we thought it was great).

I've called the reverb the first gen2 headset in terms of resolution/ppd. And I think next year we will likely see some others, frankly I was surprised we didn't see that this year. I'm keeping high hopes for Acer and especially Samsung to knock it out of the park next year. And if not then I'm sure HP/Occulus/HTC/Valve will in 2021.

I hope your right about Oculus , but i fear their major development efforts will be focused on the Quest . Which , to be fair , is an impressive accomplishment , both on its own merits and what it will do for the whole VR ecosystem .

But I'd rather see a CV2 for DCS .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I hope your right about Oculus , but i fear their major development efforts will be focused on the Quest . Which , to be fair , is an impressive accomplishment , both on its own merits and what it will do for the whole VR ecosystem .

But I'd rather see a CV2 for DCS .

I think we will see only one HMD next time around from Oculus, and I expect more companies to follow this format.

And it will be a standalone, but with something akin to a thunderbolt connection that will allow for it to take a direct fed display data as well.

It could then for instance just use it's own internal processing for tracking data, and all it would need to pass down the cable would be vectors and not a video feed.

The onboard battery could help alleviate the power issues that plague VR HMD's even.

I don't see any of these things as a bad thing, and it would make a standalone work as well as a tethered without the latency issues you now get using quest and wifi streaming or Oculus Link.

I don't consider any of this to be a bad thing, or a negative towards PC-VR.

But I also expect there to be at least two years before we see another HMD coming out of Oculus.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

+1 on this. I was expecting horror based on stories but was a minimial problem.

Same with a lot of people claiming there are problems with AMD cards and VR because of their drivers, yet no one has ever tried a AMD card and especially not with VR lmao. Also never had any real issue with WMR.

I think we will see only one HMD next time around from Oculus, and I expect more companies to follow this format.

And it will be a standalone, but with something akin to a thunderbolt connection that will allow for it to take a direct fed display data as well.

It could then for instance just use it's own internal processing for tracking data, and all it would need to pass down the cable would be vectors and not a video feed.

The onboard battery could help alleviate the power issues that plague VR HMD's even.

I don't see any of these things as a bad thing, and it would make a standalone work as well as a tethered without the latency issues you now get using quest and wifi streaming or Oculus Link.

But I also expect there to be at least two years before we see another HMD coming out of Oculus.

You might be right in the long run, but I think high res tethered VR will have a spot for a while. But eventually it might go the way you say.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Same with a lot of people claiming there are problems with AMD cards and VR because of their drivers, yet no one has ever tried a AMD card and especially not with VR lmao. Also never had any real issue with WMR.

You running an AMD card?

• 1 month later...

It's interesting, there seems hardly any discussion of the HTC Vive Pro. That's what I'm currently running and it seems to work well. Have had 0 issues and the resolution seems good, but I don't have anything else to compare to. As I said earlier in this thread, I'm tempted to get the Reverb if its resolution and clarity is better. But many here imply that its a very finicky HMD to set up and not crap out.

One question, if I do go to the Reverb - can I use my HTC base stations or do I need to get HP specific ones?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

It's interesting, there seems hardly any discussion of the HTC Vive Pro. That's what I'm currently running and it seems to work well. Have had 0 issues and the resolution seems good, but I don't have anything else to compare to. As I said earlier in this thread, I'm tempted to get the Reverb if its resolution and clarity is better. But many here imply that its a very finicky HMD to set up and not crap out.

One question, if I do go to the Reverb - can I use my HTC base stations or do I need to get HP specific ones?

Reverb dont use base stations. It uses inside out tracking. You can not play in darknes because the tracking need some light level to work properly.

Installing Reverb with WMR: Its more to it. But its not hard and do not need rocket scientists to manage.

I followed Thods guide for Reverb on vr4dcs.com and the setup itself took less then an hour.

Because the good guide and the excellent software for tuning the settings( fpsVR from Steam)

It only took me another two hours until I had managed the settings to get the perfect combo of smooth gaming and good visuals( its a matter of personal choise, of course).

In total, comming from oculus rift cv1( still have them), I know that tuning to find even acceptable settings for DCS an take many hours. I think the extra 30minutes of install is worth the easy tuning and the excellent result.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Reverb dont use base stations. It uses inside out tracking. You can not play in darknes because the tracking need some light level to work properly.

Installing Reverb with WMR: Its more to it. But its not hard and do not need rocket scientists to manage.

I followed Thods guide for Reverb on vr4dcs.com and the setup itself took less then an hour.

Because the good guide and the excellent software for tuning the settings( fpsVR from Steam)

It only took me another two hours until I had managed the settings to get the perfect combo of smooth gaming and good visuals( its a matter of personal choise, of course).

In total, comming from oculus rift cv1( still have them), I know that tuning to find even acceptable settings for DCS an take many hours. I think the extra 30minutes of install is worth the easy tuning and the excellent result.

Holy shizza, that's a lot of setup time. So much for windows plug-n-play :(

But great info, thank you.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Holy shizza, that's a lot of setup time. So much for windows plug-n-play :(

But great info, thank you.

I dont see the smiley that I thought I would see behind that comment ?

I got oculus rift CV1 around three years ago.

Despite being a single software setup I think it took me 2 hours just installing and connecting the parts( stuck software when it came to sensors).

After install, it took me at least two seeks before i thought the settings where good enough for gaming without feeling the need to tweek more.

At the time I had the fastest GPU there was( except Titan).

Reinstalled oculus recently after upgrading computer. The software install went flawless but it took time to get good settings on the Rift. The reason is it easily stutters and ghosts and you dont sant to leave all settings at minimum if you got the best CPU and GPU there is. So optimum settings is not found yet and if I would like to play dcs with the Rift I have some hours in front of me.

With Reverb, only slightly more installing, then really quick to find settings due to thuds guide and the magnific fpsVR software. Total time spent maybe 1/4. :-)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I think the only choices for "normal" money are:

Rift S (Poor audio design, tied to Oculus (Facebook), inside-out tracking in low light?)

Reverb (Resolution requires a top system spec, WMR problematic for some)

Index (Pricey, if you want 2 tracking boxes and hand controllers -otherwise not really)

As it turned out my system still wasn't beefy enough for DCS in the Index. But very pleased with the quality of the hardware, easy to use with Steam VR integration, switchable screen refresh on the fly (up to 144Hz), and really accurate tracking (even in poor lighting with one sensor box), and adjustable IPD (which I needed with IPD 60). It also has very good integrated audio. I've got no complaints with the Index and now just looking forward to having a more powerful system to squeeze more out of it.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

For the consumer market I agree. (and overall, I really like it) There will be higher end tethered headsets for professional settings for awhile though.

I'm seriously considering a Quest right now to replace my CV1. From what I'm reading, it will still be a bump up in quality using Link from the CV1, somewhere between the CV1 and RiftS.

But given how much I enjoy some other games (Beatsaber!) being able to go full wireless, AND take it with me, I'm willing to take a small hit in quality compared to the Rift S to get that mobility.

For the consumer market I agree. (and overall, I really like it) There will be higher end tethered headsets for professional settings for awhile though.

I'm seriously considering a Quest right now to replace my CV1. From what I'm reading, it will still be a bump up in quality using Link from the CV1, somewhere between the CV1 and RiftS.

But given how much I enjoy some other games (Beatsaber!) being able to go full wireless, AND take it with me, I'm willing to take a small hit in quality compared to the Rift S to get that mobility.

I find the quality of the image with a Linked Quest to be on par with the Rift S. Actually Quest has a little higher native resolution. I can fly in DCS with my Quest and get pretty darn close to the performance I get with the Rift S, maybe just a tad less but not enough to say no to using it - at least I would not hesitate to use it if my Rift S was not available for any reason.

Some say the SDE is a little more prevalent in the Quest, I think it probably is a little but not near like CV1. Quest with Link would be a nice step up from CV1. Games that are darker, like Vader Immortal, look better to me in Quest with Link. Plus it can also be played stand alone with Quest games made for that. I have been meaning to have a go with Elite Dangerous with the Quest and Link, but have not re-installed it yet on this newer PC. I would imagine it would look pretty darn good.

One last thing to keep in mind, Quest with Link is still very much in early beta. Currently the mic does not work with it yet. And it is quite finnicky on the USB 3 cable one uses and what it is plugged into. I am using the official Oculus Link cable and it works great for me, but I also have it plugged into my front panel USB C port and that hub has no other USB devices on it.

Considering how early in beta it is though, it does a pretty darn good job. I spent a full day flying in DCS with it when I was checking it out, and it did great for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think the only choices for "normal" money are:

Rift S (Poor audio design, tied to Oculus (Facebook), inside-out tracking in low light?)

Reverb (Resolution requires a top system spec, WMR problematic for some)

Index (Pricey, if you want 2 tracking boxes and hand controllers -otherwise not really)

As it turned out my system still wasn't beefy enough for DCS in the Index. But very pleased with the quality of the hardware, easy to use with Steam VR integration, switchable screen refresh on the fly (up to 144Hz), and really accurate tracking (even in poor lighting with one sensor box), and adjustable IPD (which I needed with IPD 60). It also has very good integrated audio. I've got no complaints with the Index and now just looking forward to having a more powerful system to squeeze more out of it.

What sort of min system specs does the Index require? It looks interesting.

I find the quality of the image with a Linked Quest to be on par with the Rift S. Actually Quest has a little higher native resolution. I can fly in DCS with my Quest and get pretty darn close to the performance I get with the Rift S, maybe just a tad less but not enough to say no to using it - at least I would not hesitate to use it if my Rift S was not available for any reason.

Some say the SDE is a little more prevalent in the Quest, I think it probably is a little but not near like CV1. Quest with Link would be a nice step up from CV1. Games that are darker, like Vader Immortal, look better to me in Quest with Link. Plus it can also be played stand alone with Quest games made for that. I have been meaning to have a go with Elite Dangerous with the Quest and Link, but have not re-installed it yet on this newer PC. I would imagine it would look pretty darn good.

One last thing to keep in mind, Quest with Link is still very much in early beta. Currently the mic does not work with it yet. And it is quite finnicky on the USB 3 cable one uses and what it is plugged into. I am using the official Oculus Link cable and it works great for me, but I also have it plugged into my front panel USB C port and that hub has no other USB devices on it.

Considering how early in beta it is though, it does a pretty darn good job. I spent a full day flying in DCS with it when I was checking it out, and it did great for me.

That's a pretty awesome recommendation, thank you! My dad has a RiftS, so I've gotten to fly with it a couple times (enough that I now see what I'm missing with my CV1) really hoping to just be able to see the screen in the F-16, those DDI's are almost impossible to see in the CV1, Hornets I don't even need to zoom to see....

Oculus Rift S also has the best "sweet spot" thanks to the lenses. In many headsets as your eyes deviate from the centre of the lens you get a blurry image, which means you cannot look around with your eyes very much, and instead have to use your head to look and keep your eyes pointed forward - basically the opposite of a TrackIR.

With a good set of lenses like on the Oculus Rift S you can use your eyes to look around and glance at things, which is a little bit more natural.

I found with WMR (granted I had a crappy Dell Visor) I was constantly adjusting the headset on my head to keep that sweet spot of the lenses directly in front of my eyes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

I have just changed from the Vive Pro to the Reverb. Its a lot clearer and is just excellent. I can rest assured that I have now seen VR as it was meant to be.

I always found the Vive Pro a fraction not clear enough. The Reverb was the headset I was looking for. I plugged mine in and was using it in 5 mins. Having already installed the 2 easy software installations. Tweaking it for desired frame rate will take as long as required for personal satisfaction. The reverb definitely needs some top end hardware to run it at its full potential but even toned down a bit it still looks better than the vive pro. It is easy to use, connect headset to cable, WMR window opens automatically, click on WMR for steam shortcut, Steam VR opens. Start game, done.

I wouldn't listen to the constant reverb downrampers and nitpickers, if visual quality is what you are after the reverb is stunning.

Edited by Mathius_001

i9-9900KS, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080Ti, 55" QLED, HP Reverb

I've spotted teh Vive Cosmos is down in price (on Amazon UK at least) to about the same price as the Reverb.

Is that enought to make it a viable alternative to the Reverb ?

Based on everything I have read, I would go Reverb instead.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have just changed from the Vive Pro to the Reverb. Its a lot clearer and is just excellent. I can rest assured that I have now seen VR as it was meant to be.

I always found the Vive Pro a fraction not clear enough. The Reverb was the headset I was looking for. I plugged mine in and was using it in 5 mins. Having already installed the 2 easy software installations. Tweaking it for desired frame rate will take as long as required for personal satisfaction. The reverb definitely needs some top end hardware to run it at its full potential but even toned down a bit it still looks better than the vive pro. It is easy to use, connect headset to cable, WMR window opens automatically, click on WMR for steam shortcut, Steam VR opens. Start game, done.

I wouldn't listen to the constant reverb downrampers and nitpickers, if visual quality is what you are after the reverb is stunning.

Excellent, Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. The Vive Pro is good, but I haven't looked through any other goggles to compare. I too found it OK but not stunning in terms of clarity and just wondered if that was the way they all were without paying the $7k price tag for the stupid expensive ones.

A related question about the headsets that do the inside out tracking vs the ones with base stations like the Vive: I've been wanting to dabble in some military FPS games if I can ever wrestle myself away from DCS (no luck so far). Is there any limitation on the self-contained tracking for room size VR rather than just a seated position like a flight sim?

A related question about the headsets that do the inside out tracking vs the ones with base stations like the Vive: I've been wanting to dabble in some military FPS games if I can ever wrestle myself away from DCS (no luck so far). Is there any limitation on the self-contained tracking for room size VR rather than just a seated position like a flight sim?

The limitation will be the length of the cables attached to the headset :-)

If you can somehow mount your computer on the ceiling so that it is in the center of a large room, you will get quite a large radius out of your headset potentially.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

The limitation will be the length of the cables attached to the headset :-)

If you can somehow mount your computer on the ceiling so that it is in the center of a large room, you will get quite a large radius out of your headset potentially.

But now that I think about it, you could put a PC or a Laptop in a backpack, and then the limit is the length the of the powercord or how long your laptop battery can last.

Doing a quick search on the internet (https://www.ecosia.org/ is amazing btw) I found someone that walked 170M away from the origin point using an Oculus headset haha!

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Excellent, Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. The Vive Pro is good, but I haven't looked through any other goggles to compare. I too found it OK but not stunning in terms of clarity and just wondered if that was the way they all were without paying the $7k price tag for the stupid expensive ones.

If you have a base station, you'll have spot on tracking which is better than inside-out-tracking. You also can play even if it's dark or have no discernible patterns on the wall which can confuse inside out units.

For example, when I had the Vive, I could throw the controller in the air and catch it with my HMD on. Because it was *that* accurate.

Vive Pro does not have the best resolution. Today, that's HP Reverb. But that comes with inside out tracking. Would it be good enough for FPS? Probably unless you are a competitive player. I would *think* that aiming w/o a weapon replica would make it uncomfortable for me.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

But now that I think about it, you could put a PC or a Laptop in a backpack, and then the limit is the length the of the powercord or how long your laptop battery can last.
The Reverb Pro comes with the cable for this:

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/vr-backpack.html

It isn't cheap though!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat