Brunner Force Feedback Joystick Base

Mozart

Just received my CLS-E yesterday. I have a Warthog stick mounted. Tried to follow the Brunner install guide for DCS but having no joy getting any FFB effects.

1. Plugged in CLS-E with Warthog stick.

2. Installed CLS2SIM software 4.26.3.

3. Ran the Brunner DCS plugin installer.

4. Started DCS Open Beta, made sure FFB effects were checked in settings and started a flight.

5. Alt-tabbed, started CLS2SIM, made sure DCS settings were checked and tried to connect to the CLS-E. Got the green box that it was connected, but nothing to the right in the 127.0.0.1 box.

6. Went back to DCS. Stick works great, trim hat moves the stick, buttons all register, just no FFB effects.

Latest version of Open Beta, latest CLS2SIM software, latest Win10 updates. Windows and CLS2SIM installed on the C: drive. DCS installed on drive E:.

Any ideas? Do I need to copy the Brunner scripts to anywhere but the default folders?

Also, when I run CLS2SIM, after I hit connect, I can't make any changes in the software. It won't let me 'stop' or go into settings. I also haven't figured out how to make my own custom profiles.

In case anyone wants to activate force trim and can´t get it to work - set the desired buttons in CSLW2Sim (Hardware Trim) for "Release Elev/Ail" and "Reset Elev/Ail" for trimmer and trimmer reset. At first I tried with the "Release / Reset Collective" option and kept wondering why it wouldn´t work.

The CLS-E is a fantastic stick for helicopter flying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Just received my CLS-E yesterday. I have a Warthog stick mounted. Tried to follow the Brunner install guide for DCS but having no joy getting any FFB effects.

1. Plugged in CLS-E with Warthog stick.

2. Installed CLS2SIM software 4.26.3.

3. Ran the Brunner DCS plugin installer.

4. Started DCS Open Beta, made sure FFB effects were checked in settings and started a flight.

5. Alt-tabbed, started CLS2SIM, made sure DCS settings were checked and tried to connect to the CLS-E. Got the green box that it was connected, but nothing to the right in the 127.0.0.1 box.

6. Went back to DCS. Stick works great, trim hat moves the stick, buttons all register, just no FFB effects.

Latest version of Open Beta, latest CLS2SIM software, latest Win10 updates. Windows and CLS2SIM installed on the C: drive. DCS installed on drive E:.

Any ideas? Do I need to copy the Brunner scripts to anywhere but the default folders?

Also, when I run CLS2SIM, after I hit connect, I can't make any changes in the software. It won't let me 'stop' or go into settings. I also haven't figured out how to make my own custom profiles.

I can´t see anything wrong at first glance.

Once the base is connected you should be able to enter the profile manager and adjust your settings or create new profiles. Have you selected the correct profile for DCS? Basically, you should be able to switch between profiles even when DCS is running. Has CLS2Sim found you DCS installation? I had to install the release branch for this to would work (as I´m usually on the OB), but maybe that´s fixed now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Fixed! I had the CLS-E plugged in to a USB HUB (that powers most of my simulator peripherals). Once I plugged it directly into the PC, problem solved.

I'm loving the hardware trim, both with the 4-way hat and the trim release, but I haven't been able to feel any FFB effects from the simulator yet.

• 3 weeks later...

When you say “no FFB”. Does it mean that you have just a constant resistance (like spring-loaded joystick) and able to trim a zero force center, or you can feel that resistance becomes more noticeable when increasing your airspeed but only some effects are missing ? Because some people mentioned that they have something in terms of FFB with P51 or F-14. How is your overall experience of CLS-E so far? Do you enjoy it? Is it firmly enough around a center comparing to your previous spring loaded one?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I have a similar lack of FFB as the poster a few posts up, but I'm already plugged directly into the USB on the motherboard so that's not my issue. I think I've set it up correctly:

I have followed the Brunner instructions about uninstalling vJoy and reinstalling it with the latest version of CLS2Sim (4.26.3)

I have vJoy enabled with FFB enabled in the vJoy configurator.

I have FFB enabled in DCS

I can connect to DCS once I'm in flight, and I can use the force trim, and if I turn off hydraulics I can feel the control forces increase with airspeed.

I see the airspeed reported in the CLSS2Sim window

But no FFB. I should feel buffet at high-g, stall, gun firing etc no?

I'll ask the Brunner helpdesk but if any one has a quick answer from their own experience I'd appreciate the help.

It's already good to have trim working correctly, but I presume the FFB is create once it is set up correctly.

Seems like it would be difficult to get it mounted in close between the legs, if you cant use a decent size extension (~15-20cm?) to have it mounted below your seat with the extension passing through the seat cut out.

I just cant see being able to fit this box inside the seat cut out area unless you built a seat with this in mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ok where we at with this thing? Does the FFB work with DCS or not?

I'm also curious for an answer on this.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it works.

And it does depend on the module -- the F-14 is pretty neat with the CLS-E stick, with the shake effect and such.

The F/A-18 doesn't seem to have any significant FFB effects, but the physical trim and hydraulic-feel work fine from the CLS2Sim profile.

WOW....$2500aus for a joystick!!!!!!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Yes, it works.

And it does depend on the module -- the F-14 is pretty neat with the CLS-E stick, with the shake effect and such.

The F/A-18 doesn't seem to have any significant FFB effects, but the physical trim and hydraulic-feel work fine from the CLS2Sim profile.

Thanks a lot, that's good to know! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Heh, and as for just being a joystick...

It doesn't take long to browse through here, and see all of the neat things folks invest their time and resources in, like custom building cockpit controls to exacting detail, or recording hundreds of hours of tutorial videos to teach the community.

This sort of control system is conceptually similar to the "active intercept" controls from the X-35 JSF program, which is out commercially as the "active sidestick" in jets like the Gulfstream 500/600.

And conceptually, looking to the longer term future of civil and military aviation, the separation between remote piloting and software simulation is more just an issue of transporting CANbus data over some sort of wireless network.

Sure, what the heck, let's call it a joystick. :)

Heh, and as for just being a joystick...

It doesn't take long to browse through here, and see all of the neat things folks invest their time and resources in, like custom building cockpit controls to exacting detail, or recording hundreds of hours of tutorial videos to teach the community.

This sort of control system is conceptually similar to the "active intercept" controls from the X-35 JSF program, which is out commercially as the "active sidestick" in jets like the Gulfstream 500/600.

And conceptually, looking to the longer term future of civil and military aviation, the separation between remote piloting and software simulation is more just an issue of transporting CANbus data over some sort of wireless network.

Sure, what the heck, let's call it a joystick. :)

Check my sig...prob $2300 in throttle, stick and pedals combined.....but nearly $3000aus for a JOYSTICK!!!!

The web site lists it as €1249.00, which is about $2054 AUD.

Did I mention that you can control it with python scripts sending it network packets?

With an M36x2.0 fitting, and a cleverly designed linkage, it could probably be setup to operate a washing machine, or build up energy in a flywheel system, and mill grain. :D

The web site lists it as €1249.00, which is about $2054 AUD.

Did I mention that you can control it with python scripts sending it network packets?

With an M36x2.0 fitting, and a cleverly designed linkage, it could probably be setup to operate a washing machine, or build up energy in a flywheel system, and mill grain. :D

You forgot the cost of the grip and the shipping!

I had a chance to try one of these out in a simpit, and it is inferior to the MSFFB2. There was no stall buffet in the WW2 modules. There was also no dynamic change in force depending on airspeed. The best you get is a centering adjustment with trim.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I had a chance to try one of these out in a simpit, and it is inferior to the MSFFB2. There was no stall buffet in the WW2 modules. There was also no dynamic change in force depending on airspeed. The best you get is a centering adjustment with trim.

It definitely wasn't set up correctly then, the Brunner DCS plugin accepts airspeed information and provides control loading according to whatever force curves the user has got programmed.

With the warbirds I can feel the elevator start to bite on the takeoff run and lose their effectiveness when the aircraft stalls - which is a lot more realistic than a prepackaged buffet effect.

I specifically DON'T want to be feeling buffeting, guns firing or anything else that is a canned gaming effect transmitted through the stick.

I've got a Buttkicker and Simshaker for that sort of feedback.

The Brunner is expensive but I thought about the time and effort I'd need to put into keeping an out of production consumer grade FFB stick running and decided that the Brunner was the way to go.

I'm blown away with how good it is, but I have spent a lot of time setting the control loading software up.

When I'm feeling brave I'm going to get a quote for the Brunner pedals too...

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

This would be a must buy for me if they support DX FFB, still I’m quite interested in the technology.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

This would be a must buy for me if they support DX FFB, still I’m quite interested in the technology.

Yeah that would be a good fit if DX was supported natively.

Really curious to see how the lua plugin develops anyway.

Maybe in the future I could think of this beast

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽   🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png