Brunner Force Feedback Joystick Base

Mozart

Using the hardware trim to act as a recentering force?

Dang, and here I was getting all excited for FFB lol

@TacoGrease No not yet. It acts as a normal spring stick at the moment wihtout force feedback. Although I use the hardware trim which works like a charm.

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

Using the hardware trim to act as a recentering force?

Jep. Just as you would expect in a helicopter and some aircrafts.

Dang, and here I was getting all excited for FFB lol

Last thing we heard about this is a quote from someone working at Brunner that due to the increased interest from DCS users, they start (or started?) working DCS support.

Not sure if via a plugin (meaning generated FFB) or DirectInput FFB support (so it work in pretty much any software supporting that).

I suspect the former.

Heloguy can you tell me where you read that about the temp? Mine is more running at 40/50 degrees Celsius.

I really need an extension for center mount. I never read anything about keeping temp in check. It lowers force slightly automatically but that's not enough?

I looked around, but the only reference temp I could find was from their quick start manual on their website, which said keep ENVIRONMENTAL temp below 40 deg C. I take that as the room temp.

It may be worth asking their tech support.

Heloguy can you tell me where you read that about the temp? Mine is more running at 40/50 degrees Celsius.

I really need an extension for center mount. I never read anything about keeping temp in check. It lowers force slightly automatically but that's not enough?

713963937_ScreenShot2019-06-08at11_14_48AM.thumb.png.23257b3211b356db2cd949a849562231.png

Edited by heloguy

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Thanks mate. That was what I found as well. Yeah that is room temperature. I figure there are some safeguards in place. My profile is keeping node 1 at 32degrees celcius right now. I think it will work out.

Now you have me curious. I had abandoned the idea of using a “gooseneck” extension because of overheating and weight, but now I’d like to know what the max temp is I’ll send them an email.

I did dig up an old email I’d sent where I mentioned using it as a helicopter cyclic, and the tech support agent immediately mentioned NOT to use an extension due to possible overheating issues.

Of course, I still am, but again, it drove me to be cautious with the total weight of the extension and grip.

Kingpinda, would you mind sharing your profile for cls-2?

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Now you have me curious. I had abandoned the idea of using a “gooseneck” extension because of overheating and weight, but now I’d like to know what the max temp is I’ll send them an email.

I did dig up an old email I’d sent where I mentioned using it as a helicopter cyclic, and the tech support agent immediately mentioned NOT to use an extension due to possible overheating issues.

Of course, I still am, but again, it drove me to be cautious with the total weight of the extension and grip.

Kingpinda, would you mind sharing your profile for cls-2?

Hi there,

I just uploaded it to profile cloud beta. its the DCS helicopter test profile. actually when trimming the chopper alot you keeping changing the center and so the forces arent that great around center. which keeps temp down. i tested the profile dry first and holding prolonged at extremities without trimming gets the temp up rapidly but in normal flight this isnt the case. during the dry testing i did get it to 50 degrees or so but that wasnt realistic and would probably not occur while handling it in game. I just needed to get it strong enough that it wouldnt dip too much if trimmed quite away from center. the heft of the extension and stick would make it drop but i got it quite right now for my setup. if your setup is lighter you might want to decrease the hydraulics a bit or decrease the Force Curve. tell me how it works for you. if you would I'd like to test your profile as well.

Kingpinda, thanks, just DLed it. I uploaded my FW and helo profiles. Nothing too special with mine, just increased the forces a bit, and mapped the buttons for trim in each.

I think the problem I have is that I don't want to have to swap extension/grip setups when I switch between helos and fixed wing, so the overheating issue is bigger when not flying helos.

The gooseneck allows me to have the resting stick grip in a more comfortable place while resting my hand on my thigh, but I've adjusted to having it a bit further forward now.

I'll still mess around with it when I get a chance.

Hi there,

I just uploaded it to profile cloud beta. its the DCS helicopter test profile. actually when trimming the chopper alot you keeping changing the center and so the forces arent that great around center. which keeps temp down. i tested the profile dry first and holding prolonged at extremities without trimming gets the temp up rapidly but in normal flight this isnt the case. during the dry testing i did get it to 50 degrees or so but that wasnt realistic and would probably not occur while handling it in game. I just needed to get it strong enough that it wouldnt dip too much if trimmed quite away from center. the heft of the extension and stick would make it drop but i got it quite right now for my setup. if your setup is lighter you might want to decrease the hydraulics a bit or decrease the Force Curve. tell me how it works for you. if you would I'd like to test your profile as well.

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

I'm very curious about the Brunner stuff since this thread popped up. Big thanks to the early adopters. I'm still with my good old G940, hoping it will last a little longer, but i'm definitely interested in a big hardware upgrade sooner or later (if Brunner actually starts to support DCS the right way). It would be really cool of you, if you could compile all your knowledge together one day. DCS with FFB is such a must-have. I hope to read more info from you guys soon.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I'm very curious about the Brunner stuff since this thread popped up. Big thanks to the early adopters. I'm still with my good old G940, hoping it will last a little longer, but i'm definitely interested in a big hardware upgrade sooner or later (if Brunner actually starts to support DCS the right way). It would be really cool of you, if you could compile all your knowledge together one day. DCS with FFB is such a must-have. I hope to read more info from you guys soon.

We do too :) there may come a time when i need to ditch my extension when FFB gets properly implemented in DCS.

The base is perfect for a sidestick. for a center stick you either need a extension or seriously need to chop up your playseat and stuff. the base is big and supposed to recess in a desk or board.

without extension it would need to sit between your legs to be able to use properly for center stick. I really have to think that through to make it comfortable.

When i used the Logitech G940 i still flew behind my desk and the stick on top in front of the screen with the deadmans grip taped off. It didnt bother me then but now that i have build my own seat it will be harder to implement. I love flying helo with it though. and I know i will get it right someday :)

• 4 weeks later...
I think the newer version of the grip has more buttons. Before I bought it I had asked Brunner and they thought that the added buttons would not work, but that the all the others should work. I hope Brunner gets one of the grip when they go back in stock this Thursday. I don't know how important it is for them to quickly rework there software to make it compatible. I did reach out to there support people who had me try assign it to the older version of the grip in there software which didn't help. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me with follow up questions I had. My guess is that it will be awhile before it's functional based on what I've seen. In hind sight I should have waited.

I just received word from brunner that the "old" bases indeed had some incompatibility issues with virpils new sticks. I want to replace my Warthog with the mongoost50cm2 and remembered your story. So I asked if they got it working yet.

They said that I could use an old stick or send the Base back so they can upgrade the bases hardware. So its a hardware problem. Virpil sent a courier once to repair my device free of charge from Belarus. Waiting on a reply what costs if any I can expect for servicing my one month old brunner cls-e Base.

Sorry Kingpinda,

I've been traveling for the holiday and just saw this today. I did send my base out to be modified. The modification is relatively a simple one consisting of soldering a jumper wire across a resistor. I decided to have them do it more because I didn't want to disassemble and reassemble the base.

My modified base is due to ship today so I should have it back this week hopefully.

On another note of interest during this process I had offered to beta test there Forced Feedback software. When they notified me that my base was finished they also had a link to that software. I'm looking forward to testing both.

On another note of interest during this process I had offered to beta test there Forced Feedback software. When they notified me that my base was finished they also had a link to that software. I'm looking forward to testing both.

Very good! I'm very interested in this product, but only if it works as a DirectX FFB device.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Very good! I'm very interested in this product, but only if it works as a DirectX FFB device.

I should get a look at that when my base get's back. Let me know if there is anything you want me to test. I'm really only flying the F-18 now, and am green to it so I'll do my best.

Cool Jameslockridge.

Yeah received an email if I was experienced with soldering. So might do it myself. Do you know though if all buttons will work on the mongoost50cm2?

Hmm I think I'm going to ask them as.well to beta test the Ffb. I hear the tomcat has been getting regular Ffb updates. Also the p51 has Ffb Implemented I think.

Cool Jameslockridge.

Yeah received an email if I was experienced with soldering. So might do it myself. Do you know though if all buttons will work on the mongoost50cm2?

Hmm I think I'm going to ask them as.well to beta test the Ffb. I hear the tomcat has been getting regular Ffb updates. Also the p51 has Ffb Implemented I think.

I'm pretty sure all the buttons will work. You should ask about the beta software, I've been working with Stephan and he seem very nice and helpful. I'm hoping the base arrives this week.

I'm pretty sure all the buttons will work. You should ask about the beta software, I've been working with Stephan and he seem very nice and helpful. I'm hoping the base arrives this week.

Let me know how it feels! I just missed preorder window for the mongoost50cm2. Brunner told me that all buttons will work with the new Base. Although they didn't answer.me if the analog brake pedal would devolve into a digital button. Not a deal breaker but would be cool if the pedal would be analog.

Edit: the beta Ffb has gone public and if we Download the latest version of cls2sim then it's in. Just stick shaking and load scaling with speed for now though.

At least with the unmodified base, the analogue brake worked as a button.

They might have changed that, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Yeah I am expecting that but it would be an awsome surprise if they made it an axis.

BTW i just flew the P51-D with FFB!!! that has been ages with my old logitech G940. And now finally again with the Brunner :) Dont be an idiot like me though and follow the instructions to the letter and then spending an hour cranking up the FFB to 100 percent and noticing nothing. only to realize that i might have to turn on FFB in DCS itself lol.

You can feel the wheels hitting the deck. it will shake with buffet/stall. so you know when you are at the limit of your flight envelope. Still experimenting with the forces on the surfaces to have the stick be stiffer though at higher speeds. The last one is not FFB but the software reads out the speed and sets the springs stiffer or looser accordingly.

But all in all this beta FFB is great progress!

I wrote another email to them and the repsonse i got suggested that it is currently already compatible with the cm2 version of the stick, no mention of any complications.

So after reading this i placed my order and now i´m really looking forward to try it out. Time to put the good old g940 to rest.

Add to this that the changelog for v4.23.3 of their software lists (initial basic) DCS support.

Edited by upupandaway

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

So this works with DCS now?

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

So, I was real excited to hear about the new beta version of the software, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I can only guess it has something to do with the Windows 10/vJoy issue that the installer mentions, as I have Windows 10 Home. Curiously, though, when I look at the version, it says 1803, not 1903.

I've attached a pic of the error I'm getting.

FYSA, the picture was after I had disconnected the software from the stick, and closed DCS, the error log remained. I followed the install and setup directions to the letter.

75425326_DCSFFBError.JPG.8a99704e90de70acb4b5a6a8628d667c.JPG

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Hmm I recall having some blocking messages as well but they dissapeared. Have you chosen the correct grip in the profile and have you enabled Ffb in dcs itself?

It's not working 100 percent with me though

The hardware trim buttons don't persist In the profile but they do work. But I can't remove them anymore. So I have to deal with trim reset on my Warthog weapon selection button.

Have you cycled power on the device?

Edited by kingpinda

Questions

I have some questions about the Brunner base (as a G940 owner):

1. Is there a "standard" center spring mode?

2. How is Windows handling the device, will i be able to play games like Elite Dangerous with it?

3. Are the forces strong enough to hold the stick in place?

4. How is the beta working with DCS atm?

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules