How bad is the Warthog stick and throttle? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #41
Aurelius

Not trying to dissuade any Warthog owners, ... I know many, many guys love their Hog sticks, but I tried out the entire HOTAS twice and came away mostly enjoying the throttle but disliking the stick. When I first got the stick and unboxed it, I could not believe that it could not reach into the corners of an X-Y plot. This is because of the circular opening at the top of the gimbal. That means that an unmodded Warthog stick cannot apply, say, full right aileron and full forward pitch at the same time (to luff a plane, ... say, in combat). I was completely dumbfounded and remain so today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warthog Stick Base 2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	221283  

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti - VKB Kosmosima SCE - Custom CH Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

If you have a chance, give Calculus or Differential Equations a try!

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Last edited by Aurelius; 11-17-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:26 AM   #42
toutenglisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Not trying to dissuade any Warthog owners, ... I know many, many guys love their Hog sticks, but I tried out the entire HOTAS twice and came away mostly enjoying the throttle but disliking the stick. When I first got the stick and unboxed it, I could not believe that it could not reach into the corners of an X-Y plot. This is because of the circular opening at the top of the gimbal. That means that an unmodded Warthog stick cannot apply, say, full right aileron and full forward pitch at the same time (to luff a plane, ... say, in combat). I was completely dumbfounded and remain so today.
Aurelius what you said is wrong : the part you show is decorative round plate - the real opening of top of gimbal is inside of that and is a square with round shape on the corners (of radius of stick shaft).

The movement limits of warthog is a square see it in pictures joined (limit right, limit down and limit down/right)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WH-1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	221297   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH-2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	221298   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH-3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	221299  

Old 11-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #43
TOYKILLA

Yep,its Square.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2019, 08:18 PM   #44
Aurelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by toutenglisse View Post
Aurelius what you said is wrong : the part you show is decorative round plate - the real opening of top of gimbal is inside of that and is a square with round shape on the corners (of radius of stick shaft).

The movement limits of warthog is a square see it in pictures joined (limit right, limit down and limit down/right)
Unless Thrustmaster has updated the gimbal opening since 2015 (when I purchased my Warthogs), I cannot replicate what you display in Windows Game Controller properties. My two Warthog sticks definitely will not go into any of the four corners of an X-Y plot (it is not because of the silver round plate either, it is because, below that, the opening is a square but with rounded corners. (that is what I was attempting to circle in the picture))

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti - VKB Kosmosima SCE - Custom CH Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Reverb

If you have a chance, give Calculus or Differential Equations a try!

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Last edited by Aurelius; 11-18-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:49 AM   #45
TOYKILLA

I got mine from the beginning and have SN.620

BtW. On your Picture it is Square also.

Last edited by TOYKILLA; 11-19-2019 at 06:10 AM.
TOYKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #46
parxuk

Well 10 days in and I am loving my new Warthog stick and throttle. So much better than my Saitek X52 and lots of buttons to configure.

I do find the spring very heavy, but am going to try and get used to it.

I am thinking of getting a Wheel stand pro to mount it all on. Anybody else got one and can offer any thoughts. I'm looking at the pro deluxe version which has separate mounts for stick and throttle.

Going to have to get that deltasim slew upgrade mod though. The default is truly as bad as everyone says and I cant believe they haven't changed the design in all the years they have been making them.

Its looking like nearly a 3 month wait for the slew sensor. Can anybody please suggest some good curves to use with it in the meantime, so that its slightly less sensitive and a bit more usable?

Thanks in advance
Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Aorus GTX1080Ti, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S, Windows 10 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf.
parxuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #47
Glow

Good thing about Warthog HOTAS, is the software that come with it - TARGET, and actually is for free.

This is just beyond me, why so many Warthog user completely ignoring it. You can make amazing things with it. If you fly competitive mp using TARGET scripts could be consider cheating

The bad is to spend so much cash on it, and not to learn how to use TARGET.

T.1600 can use TARGET too.
Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #48
TOYKILLA

I also don't need Target. DCS include all settings you neet for the Warthog

Old 11-24-2019, 01:36 PM   #49
VpR81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow View Post
Good thing about Warthog HOTAS, is the software that come with it - TARGET, and actually is for free.

This is just beyond me, why so many Warthog user completely ignoring it. You can make amazing things with it. If you fly competitive mp using TARGET scripts could be consider cheating

The bad is to spend so much cash on it, and not to learn how to use TARGET.

T.1600 can use TARGET too.
Totally agree on that. Used the hog for a long time before trying out TARGET and don't ever wanna miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYKILLA View Post
I also don't need Target. DCS include all settings you neet for the Warthog
For the Hornet not realy. DCS provides a few Joystick special commands that make the switches on the WH TQS a 2 position switch, such as APU ON/OFF. With Target you can bind every position of the switches with commands of your choice and not only the "joystick special" commands. For example, i use the EAC switch for Master ARM ON in one position and OFF for the other position. Impossible with DCS' ingame keybinds. Pinky Switch has 3 commands with TARGET, with DCS only 2 are possible. DCS includes a lot of settings for the WH, but without TARGET you can't use the Warthogs full potential. Try it out and you'll be surprised. TARGET almost doubles the possible keybinds on the WH's throttle without using a toggle.

The only drawback with TARGET (well, in fact it's a windows issue) is, that it morphes your controls into one virtual controller and windows does only allow 8 axis per controller. WH Hotas plus Pedals are 10 and you'll have to exclude the paddles from your TARGET profile. But since you only binding key commands in TARGET while axis are still set in DCS, it doesen't make much of a difference...

Modules: F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C-Viper | Combined Arms | FC3 | NTTR | Persian Gulf
Wishlist: F-15E Strike Eagle | Panavia Tornado | MiG-31 "Foxhound" | F-117A Nighthawk

Last edited by VpR81; 11-24-2019 at 05:09 PM.
VpR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 06:44 AM   #50
BlacleyCole

all true about the tm wh distractions but it still 100% better thjan saitek product i ever owned including the x56

i tied the wheel stand and its light weight and mobile but it isnt the best option imo especiallyfor a center mounted stick

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Last edited by BlacleyCole; 11-29-2019 at 12:28 AM.
BlacleyCole is online now   Reply With Quote