I hate having to modify the default.lua joystick file after every update. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
98abaile

Default I hate having to modify the default.lua joystick file after every update.

As the update says, I have to modify the default.lua file in "E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick" after it gets overwritten every update.

I want to add these lines:
Code:
{    down = iCommandPlaneGearUp,                            up = iCommandPlaneGearDown,                                                                                                            name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle - 2Pswitch'),                                category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = SMS_commands.MasterArmSw,        up = SMS_commands.MasterArmSw,        cockpit_device_id = devices.SMS,    value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Master Arm Switch - 2Pswitch'),    category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Master Arm Panel')}},
{    down = gear_commands.HookHandle,        up = gear_commands.HookHandle,        cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,        value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,                            name = _('Arresting Hook Handle - 2P switch'),                            category = {_('Special For Joystick'),_('Right Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_EXTERIOR_LIGTHS_EXT,    up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_EXTERIOR_LIGTHS_EXT,    cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS,    value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,            name = _('Exterior Lights Switch - 2Pswitch'),                category = {_('Special For Joystick'),_('Throttle Grip'), _('HOTAS')}},
Can I create a diff file in my saved games and how do I do that (actually it doesn't matter if it'll work or not, how do I create a diff.lua? everything on google is gobbledygook)?

EDIT:
Guys, mod managers are not the solution since the modded file will overwrite the latest official file and remove any official updates to the file.

Last edited by 98abaile; 06-11-2019 at 03:37 PM.
98abaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98abaile View Post
As the update says, I have to modify the default.lua file in "E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick" after it gets overwritten every update.
You should look into using a Mod Manager for this modifications, I use OvGME:

... and it makes it easy to disable all my Mods prior to a DCS update, and then re-enable them afterwards.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
zhukov032186

I think you're supposed to make modifications in the ''saved games'' user folder, specifically so they don't get overwritten. Anything you put in the main game directory will get blitzed every update.

As for the file just copy the one from the game directory to saved games and modify it there. You shouldn't have to change it again after that unless the change something in it.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
98abaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
You should look into using a Mod Manager for this modifications, I use OvGME:

... and it makes it easy to disable all my Mods prior to a DCS update, and then re-enable them afterwards.
The problem with that is that if they update the default file, you lose any of the new bindings when you put your modded one back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
I think you're supposed to make modifications in the ''saved games'' user folder, specifically so they don't get overwritten. Anything you put in the main game directory will get blitzed every update.

As for the file just copy the one from the game directory to saved games and modify it there. You shouldn't have to change it again after that unless the change something in it.
I've already tried that, it didn't work. I know it's supposed to, but it didn't.
98abaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
The problem with that is that if they update the default file, you lose any of the new bindings when you put your modded one back.

You are correct .. the Mod Managers manage whole files, they cant change just part of a file
Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #6
zhukov032186

Quote:

I've already tried that, it didn't work. I know it's supposed to, but it didn't.
Ah. I've noticed on a few odds and ends it doesn't seem to take via the saved games stuff, but I'm not sure what the criteria is there.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
JoeyJoJoJunior

You could write a simple batch script. This

Code:
echo { down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle - 2Pswitch'),category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}}, >> "E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick\default.lua"
should work. Simply appends each line to the file. Just have to duplicate that general idea for each line. Put that in a .bat file and run it. Might wanna make a backup and test it just in case.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
JG14_Smil

Send a message via MSN to JG14_Smil

the over-written file goes into a backup folder on each update. Just move it back.
JG14_Smil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
Malexx

Why u are not just using RSMapper?
Works just fine.
Malexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malexx View Post
Why u are not just using RSMapper?
Works just fine.
The 4 lines he uses, are for adding new joystick commands to the game, I doubt that a simple mapper utility can do that.