Goodbye Asus - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
Infiltrator

Default Goodbye Asus

I've bought Asus mobos and cards for as long as I can remember, but having just learnt about their budget VRMs on premium boards, well, no one likes to be ripped off and Asus has just lost me as a loyal customer. I'm both shocked and disappointed.

I looks like I'll be going for a Gigabyte Z390 board this time round. I don't expect I'll buy another Asus card either because they've left a bad taste in my mouth merely from their audacity.
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Chassis|1000W EVGA SuperNOVA G3|Windows 10 Pro 64Bit|i7 5820K 3.3Ghz@4.1|Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme|Asus X99 Deluxe|Asus Strix GTX 1080| 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600Mhz|Alienware 34 AW3418W Display|Track IR 4 Pro|Logitech 7.1 G930|Samsung Evo 960 NVMe 512GB SSD|Slaw RX Viper Pedals| Thrustmaster Warthog
Infiltrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:49 PM   #2
Mr_sukebe

Strong words.
Do you have a link backing up that statement?
Old 02-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #3
etherbattx

the vrms can’t be that bad... asus boards are one of the most popular boards for overclocking
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
BitMaster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiltrator View Post
I've bought Asus mobos and cards for as long as I can remember, but having just learnt about their budget VRMs on premium boards, well, no one likes to be ripped off and Asus has just lost me as a loyal customer. I'm both shocked and disappointed.

I looks like I'll be going for a Gigabyte Z390 board this time round. I don't expect I'll buy another Asus card either because they've left a bad taste in my mouth merely from their audacity.

Well, that is not the technical truth. Asus has clearly stated why they went this approch on 9th gen CPU.

There is a good article on HardOCP that explains why they did it this way.

True, at first it sounds like a rip-off but after reading the technical reasons why, i think it makes sense.

last page from that review, here's the link: https://www.hardocp.com/article/2019...board_review/7
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz@60Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine

Last edited by BitMaster; 02-05-2019 at 06:03 PM.
BitMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Infiltrator

'Hardware Unboxed' had to buy an Asus ROG Maximus Hero XL board because Asus wouldn't send them one to review. That in my mind says it all. Quote:"Twin 8 Phase is marketed BS". I hear the VRM temps get high too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=6lAE3PgWoRc
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Chassis|1000W EVGA SuperNOVA G3|Windows 10 Pro 64Bit|i7 5820K 3.3Ghz@4.1|Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme|Asus X99 Deluxe|Asus Strix GTX 1080| 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600Mhz|Alienware 34 AW3418W Display|Track IR 4 Pro|Logitech 7.1 G930|Samsung Evo 960 NVMe 512GB SSD|Slaw RX Viper Pedals| Thrustmaster Warthog
Old 02-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #6
Sn8ke_iis

I'm not sure why people buy into all this negative hype from amateur electrical engineers. I've yet to see one person explain to me why the components that ASUS have chosen as a cost saving measure will actually make their CPU run slower. I'm not seeing it. You have to test it yourself. None of those guys have actually done OC comparisons with the same chip from board to board to actually show lower clock speeds or benchmarks.

I'm don't even understand this stuff well enough to explain it, I just know if you keep VRM cool it goes faster and the OC is more stable. The benchmarks show it. How many phases it is, who makes the components, what grade they are? I have no idea how that stuff works on a detailed technical level other than it regulates the voltage going to the CPU which is implied in the term. I just put the voltage on adaptive in the bios and it works like a charm.

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" Panel | SoundblasterX G6 DAC | Sennheiser PC 363D headphones | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/center extension, MFDs | Vipergear IPC | Buddyfox UFC | Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Trim Wheel | MFG Pedals | Playseat Flightseat | Monstertech HOTAS mount | Gametrix Jetseat
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:44 AM   #7
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8ke_iis View Post
I'm not sure why people buy into all this negative hype from amateur electrical engineers. I've yet to see one person explain to me why the components that ASUS have chosen as a cost saving measure will actually make their CPU run slower. I'm not seeing it. You have to test it yourself. None of those guys have actually done OC comparisons with the same chip from board to board to actually show lower clock speeds or benchmarks.

I'm don't even understand this stuff well enough to explain it, I just know if you keep VRM cool it goes faster and the OC is more stable. The benchmarks show it. How many phases it is, who makes the components, what grade they are? I have no idea how that stuff works on a detailed technical level other than it regulates the voltage going to the CPU which is implied in the term. I just put the voltage on adaptive in the bios and it works like a charm.

It won't and the higher VRM temps actually don't really mean much of anything since VRM can handle very high temps with no negative effect. I think what DID upset a lot of people was the seemingly deceptive marketing by ASUS... I for one also changed to a different brand because I also felt the marketing was deceptive and the board was overpriced for what you got.

See buildzoid video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO-vYjJN-I

~Moo
StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:26 AM   #8
Sn8ke_iis

That's the amateur electrical engineer I was referring to. I've already seen it. That's how I know they are cost saving measures. I'm not an electrical engineer but I take classes with them from time to time at a major research university. That guy is not as knowledgeable as he thinks he is and is very self taught.

All this stuff is overpriced. I payed at least several hundred dollars for the ASUS brand name. You are also paying for customer service the ability to RMA, resale value, etc. The cost of the components is just a small part of the deal.

It's your money, do what you want, I just don't understand why people actually buy into all this marketing hype for motherboards and then regurgitate it. That's one of the few components where there is real competition between manufacturers. You need to be more skeptical. He might have some kind of conflict of interest or endorsement deal. I watch gamer's nexus all the time. A deep dive from buildzoid still doesn't demonstrate why it makes the least bit of difference in real world usage. A test by Steve would. With manufacturers deviating from the specs for baseclocks on the Z390 chipset, etc you have to do real world tests with lots of motherboards and chips to see any actual difference.

Again, do people actually understand all the gimmicky marketing about phases? If you buy a gaming/OC motherboard from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock, EVGA... you'll be fine. Buy one you think looks cool, is compatible on partspicker or configurators for the chipset, etc. and fits the colors you had in mind for your build and case. You have to assume all those manufacturers have paid shills that lurk on overclock forums.

Pit:
Samsung Q6FN 65" Panel | SoundblasterX G6 DAC | Sennheiser PC 363D headphones | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/center extension, MFDs | Vipergear IPC | Buddyfox UFC | Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Trim Wheel | MFG Pedals | Playseat Flightseat | Monstertech HOTAS mount | Gametrix Jetseat

Last edited by Sn8ke_iis; 02-06-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Sn8ke_iis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Seb71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn8ke_iis View Post
That's the amateur electrical engineer I was referring to. I've already seen it. That's how I know they are cost saving measures. I'm not an electrical engineer but I take classes with them from time to time at a major research university. That guy is not as knowledgeable as he thinks he is and is very self taught.
Well, that does not sound good, either.
Seb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
Infiltrator

I'd describe myself as an Asus fanboy", but as soon as any company starts using inferior designs to cut costs and boost profits I quickly fall out of love with them. It's corporate greed pure and simple. I'm by no means an expert on motherboards, I just see through the BS and it's as clear as day the Asus board is inferior to the competitors whilst Asus have had the audacity to charge more for their inferior product. Asus clearly believed that their name would have sold their customers this 4 phase VRM BS.

Asus will lose a lot of business from this stunt. It's insulting people's intelligence. Whilst many hardcore Asus fans will out aside this VRM issue, the fact stands that the Asus board is harder to overclock and the board generates more heat. Where Asus have attempted to make more money I'm sure they're now all too aware this stunt has cost them dearly. Their reputation would have taken a massive hit over this.

I've been an Asus fan for years. I've love the aesthetics of their designs and their ability to stay a cut above the competition, so I'm astounded why they'd do something like this. We PC enthusiasts are anal about technology and specs so WTF was Asus thinking? Maybe Asus are trying to recoop the cost of being sued by the American Federal Trade Commission.