DCS 2.5 Ryzen 1700 @ 3.84ghz and VR - Page 2 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
grammaton_feather
Junior Member
 
grammaton_feather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirusAM View Post
Problem is not Ryzen...it's DCS being single threaded....Ryzen are optimized for intensive multitasking applications... anyway
I don't have VR (well I tried and liked it, but preferred to wait until new technologies) but with 2.5 my R7-1700x is doing pretty well, always around the 100fps (my monitor is 144hz).
I know that 8th gen i7 are much more faster in single thread (and probably but of a lesser margin also in multithreading - but you should compare it with 7th gen Intel CPUs) but for me (I had a i7 7700 on another machine) the performance difference (not talking about VR) was not existant...so only theoretical...
Will see with Vulkan and 2nd gen Ryzen...

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A5010 utilizzando Tapatalk

Just read this...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-ryzen-2...cs-performance

Don't expect much boost from Ryzen 2 in April. Slightly higher clocks and 10% boost from 12nm.

DCS runs very well without VR on my 1700 but I ain't ever gonna go without HMD.
grammaton_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
exil
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton_feather View Post
Just read this...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-ryzen-2...cs-performance

Don't expect much boost from Ryzen 2 in April. Slightly higher clocks and 10% boost from 12nm.

DCS runs very well without VR on my 1700 but I ain't ever gonna go without HMD.
I have a 1600 (non X) "boostet" to 3.7GHZ. Together with a GTX 1080 it runs pretty decent with my Rift!
exil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #13
grammaton_feather
Junior Member
 
grammaton_feather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exil View Post
I have a 1600 (non X) "boostet" to 3.7GHZ. Together with a GTX 1080 it runs pretty decent with my Rift!
A friend a mine has an octopus rift and I tried DCS 2.0 Nevada with it on my old i5 2500k PC. ASW gave it a good boost.

Vive doesn't have that luxury. Reprojection Async is pish. Stops judder but does nothing else.
grammaton_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:06 AM   #14
FlyingTexan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton_feather View Post
Only ever owned Intel CPU's since the days of 386sx. Built my first AMD system last year... Ryzen 1700 @3.8ghz, 3466mhz ram. I'm having a hard emotional struggle living with 3.8ghz overclock. My old i5 2500k was clocked at 4.8ghz. I need ALL the FPS I can get because I run VR (HTC Vive doesn't have the benefit of ASW).

I'm really close to buying an 8700k and ditching the Ryzen. I'd keep the DDR4 which is rated at 4ghz and overclocks to 4.4 or 4.5 on Intel (stuck at 3566 on Ryzen).

Ryzen does well at screen res above 1080. Ryzen+ is coming eventually but rumour is that we'll be lucky to reach 4.3 or 4.4ghz with it.

I do 3d rendering so that was why I chose the Ryzen... however... My 3d rendering is ALL done on GPU via octane now so...

My GPU is a GTX 1070 overclocked +140 core and +500 Vram.

For flight sims and games I only run VR. Never play in 2d now.

Thoughts on VR + 8700k versus Ryzen?

Before you get upset do this and you'll see where your choke is. First off ditch the VR and set your resolution at 720 or 1080p and look at your FPS. That tells you how fast your cpu is capable of processing and sending the data to the GPU because at the lower resolutions you won't be GPU limited. So if you 100fps then your CPU can handle the data needed to achieve 100FPS.


Now crank the resolution up to 4k and do the same thing (use fraps). Look at your fps then. At that resolution you'll be GPU limited. Anything lower than 100FPS means that no matter the CPU you won't really be able to get anything above that number because the GPU is already handling the info the CPU is handling at it as fast as it can.


VR is so demanding that the GPU is what's bottlenecking you. Upping the CPU just means you're going to be sending information faster to the GPU. If the GPU is already dealing with that info as fast as it can you won't see any increase.


The 1700 at your specs is a great processor and has plenty to handle what you're throwing at in VR. Your GPU is a huge bottleneck. Changing from the Ryzen system to the Intel system is going to cost you a new processor and mobo. Just sell your 1070 and up it to a 1080ti.

Plus the game is largely single core dependent. Again at the higher resolutions it's all about the GPU because the CPU is already sending the data faster than the GPU can crunch it. There's zero point to go with the 8700k or anything for this. I just built a system with the 7600k which at 4k test show it's like a 1fps difference. Now if you do something that needs HT and more cores, like editing, then go for it but for gaming you need to take all that cash and put it into the GPU not the CPU.

Last edited by FlyingTexan; 02-21-2018 at 01:10 AM.
FlyingTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
grammaton_feather
Junior Member
 
grammaton_feather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTexan View Post
Before you get upset do this and you'll see where your choke is. First off ditch the VR and set your resolution at 720 or 1080p and look at your FPS. That tells you how fast your cpu is capable of processing and sending the data to the GPU because at the lower resolutions you won't be GPU limited. So if you 100fps then your CPU can handle the data needed to achieve 100FPS.


Now crank the resolution up to 4k and do the same thing (use fraps). Look at your fps then. At that resolution you'll be GPU limited. Anything lower than 100FPS means that no matter the CPU you won't really be able to get anything above that number because the GPU is already handling the info the CPU is handling at it as fast as it can.


VR is so demanding that the GPU is what's bottlenecking you. Upping the CPU just means you're going to be sending information faster to the GPU. If the GPU is already dealing with that info as fast as it can you won't see any increase.


The 1700 at your specs is a great processor and has plenty to handle what you're throwing at in VR. Your GPU is a huge bottleneck. Changing from the Ryzen system to the Intel system is going to cost you a new processor and mobo. Just sell your 1070 and up it to a 1080ti.

Plus the game is largely single core dependent. Again at the higher resolutions it's all about the GPU because the CPU is already sending the data faster than the GPU can crunch it. There's zero point to go with the 8700k or anything for this. I just built a system with the 7600k which at 4k test show it's like a 1fps difference. Now if you do something that needs HT and more cores, like editing, then go for it but for gaming you need to take all that cash and put it into the GPU not the CPU.
Thanks for input!

So I just followed your test... VR disabled...DCS 2.5 at 1080 res. Viggen cold start training mission. In-game FPS counter shows about 120 when I'm starting up the aircraft. When I start taxiing for takeoff the FPS drops to between 90 and 84. In the air it varies between 129 and 90 with some dips down to 84.

GPU is overclocked +140 +500mhz.

Cinebench scores 1700+

CPU is 3815. It has gone to 9ghz but can't get it 100% stable there.

I couldn't try your 4k test as my monitor is 1080!

Since doing the test I have increased the auto fan speed profile on GPU. Don't know if any thermal throttling was taking place. I will redo the test logging GPU temp.

It's a shame I can't get my system stable with 3600mhz ram since game FPS increases with infinity fabric speed. The timings at 3466 are 16 16 16 33 and were optimised via a ram timing calc. After setting the timings, windows booted faster and was visibly snappier and the cinebench score is consistent at 1700. Ram timings are "optimised-safe" so there might be extra headroom if I redo the timing calc with more extreme option.


Last edited by grammaton_feather; 02-21-2018 at 01:29 PM.
grammaton_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
FlyingTexan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 33
Default

To give you an idea the GTX 1080ti has about a 40% increase over the GTX 1070 at stock speeds. As you OC that jumps even more. Also check load factors and see if any CPU cores are hitting 100% or if the GPU is maxed. Test here have shown that there was very little gain past 3.5 ghz. I'm not sure how VR really utilizes things but from what I can tell the 1070 is your limiting issue.
FlyingTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #17
grammaton_feather
Junior Member
 
grammaton_feather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTexan View Post
To give you an idea the GTX 1080ti has about a 40% increase over the GTX 1070 at stock speeds. As you OC that jumps even more. Also check load factors and see if any CPU cores are hitting 100% or if the GPU is maxed. Test here have shown that there was very little gain past 3.5 ghz. I'm not sure how VR really utilizes things but from what I can tell the 1070 is your limiting issue.

I will log the CPU usage in 2.5 this evening. GPU usage hit 91% but average 80%. 1070 Overclocked. I guess I'm gonna have to go insane and buy a 1080ti.
grammaton_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #18
9./JG26_Brigg
Member
 
9./JG26_Brigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: scunthorpe
Posts: 616
Default

agreed the 1070 doesnt have enough horse power
9./JG26_Brigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #19
BitMaster
Veteran
 
BitMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SW-Germany
Posts: 5,497
Default

The 1080Ti by far doesnt even have enough horsepower to drive the few pixels we now have.

I wonder with what Über-GPU they wanna drive higher pixel count in VR.

My monster 2D rig is a lame duck in VR, so to say.

This VR makes you wanna cry for 10x the performance.

More pixels, more fps, more FOV, more TREES
__________________
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz@60Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #20
BitMaster
Veteran
 
BitMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SW-Germany
Posts: 5,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton_feather View Post
I will log the CPU usage in 2.5 this evening. GPU usage hit 91% but average 80%. 1070 Overclocked. I guess I'm gonna have to go insane and buy a 1080ti.
CPU usage highly depends on the airframe and mission too. A simple aircraft in an empty mission is a totally different thing than an A10-C or Ka-50 together with 40-50 others in MP with lots of stuff going on.

Your results may differ a lot if you make different measurements with different airframes in different scenarios. Anything else is actually also not worth doing it as we wanna know the full scope of it and not just 1 snapshot of 1 specific measurement in a sea of variables.

Yeah, thats 10x more work, I know.
__________________
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz@60Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
8700k, htc vive, ryzen 1700

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.