[MERGED] DirectX 11/12, OpenGL, VulkanAPI Discussion - Page 20 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #191
Headwarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
If you want to host a "big" server for DCS, with say 64 Pilots, you do need a considerable amount of UPLOAD and a good WAN connection in general. Normal household connections do not suffice this requirement.

In order to make that still happen, people rent a server in a DataCentre where bandwidth and good overall connection quality is granted, usually 1Gbit or better UPLOAD + DOWNLOAD.

The downside is the price, the better the hardware your rent, the more bandwidth/traffic-volume you book, the more expensive it gets. On top of the hardware, electricity and connection costs you will be charged a monthly fee for using a prop. OS like MS Windows. The price I paid for 1 server was iirc 110€ for a Linux based server and around 135€ for the same machine with a Windows Server OS. aFter 12 month, you paid 300€ just for Windows...OK ?

So, if we had a Linux capable DCS dedicated server module, anybody or any Group of Pilots could save some big cash over the year if we wouldnt have to go with a MS driven server.

The downside is, less people and pilots know Linux good enough to set up a gameserver on it, but its nothing you cannot learn in a week or two with some help. I wouldnt be afraid.

That's what "gameserver in a DC" means
When you live in a city where 1Gb up/down is the standard and hear it's not normal

J/k.. I could have 10Gbit up/down for a few hundred USD a month.. so if any server admins are looking for rental space.. *cough*
Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 4.9ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds
Headwarp is offline   Reply With Quote