DCS 2.5 Ryzen 1700 @ 3.84ghz and VR - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #21
grammaton_feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
CPU usage highly depends on the airframe and mission too. A simple aircraft in an empty mission is a totally different thing than an A10-C or Ka-50 together with 40-50 others in MP with lots of stuff going on.

Your results may differ a lot if you make different measurements with different airframes in different scenarios. Anything else is actually also not worth doing it as we wanna know the full scope of it and not just 1 snapshot of 1 specific measurement in a sea of variables.

Yeah, thats 10x more work, I know.
I find the Mig 21 and A/C with lots of analog dials drag down performance compared to the modern glass cockpits.

I could really do with a 1080ti for 3d rendering anyway. Birthday coming early march so maybe a good excuse?
grammaton_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #22
BitMaster
Veteran

Yes, the Mig21 is also a beast.

Some just stress less, some more. To my bad is prefer those that need more, like the choppers.

1080Ti is a drop of water on the hot VR Stone. Years need to go by for this to ripe to a standard we would describe as sufficient I guess.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz@60Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #23
grammaton_feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
Yes, the Mig21 is also a beast.

Some just stress less, some more. To my bad is prefer those that need more, like the choppers.

1080Ti is a drop of water on the hot VR Stone. Years need to go by for this to ripe to a standard we would describe as sufficient I guess.
It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't running ancient code. Single core flight sims? Really? I have 8 cores and 16 threads! Or how about that grossly inefficient DX11 API? Vulkan or DX12 could release a whole lot of graphics power locked away in these GPUs.

And how about VRWorks for Nvidia users? Eve Valkyrie and Raw Data used to stutter at higher graphic settings on my 1070... when the respective devs added VR works I could max out those games in VR... insane level of detail on a 1070 with no frame drops. So a 1070 is technically capable of running DCS World smoothly in VR if ancient code wasn't dragging down performance. Forced to buy a 1080ti to try and compensate for ancient code. Not good.
grammaton_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #24
Spectre1986

I year later and I did a different, much better test just now;

First I reset my 8086K to stock. I ran DCS in VR testing in the A-10C quick start - hard mission. I used Oculus Tray Tool to turn off ASW. I enabled the TGP then gunned the trucks and AAA at the first waypoint in one pass. Then I killed all four vehicles at the second waypoint, also in one, very low, gun pass. All keeping an eye on the FPS the entire time. After a few of these benchmark runs I was not satisfied with my performance, rarely dipping to 40FPS, even 35FPS once with smoke, explosions, fire, gunfire, units spawning, voiceover triggers, etc at my current settings.

Note: Multiplayer is MUCH more demanding on the CPU than this.

Next I overclocked my CPU to 4.7Ghz, all cores, and ran the same test a few times. MIN 45FPS, AVERAGE 75, going up to 90FPS every now and then (again, with ASW off).

Finally I overclocked to 5.2Ghz and ran the same test a few times. Almost solid 90FPS, going down to 75FPS every now and then.

This is with an i7-8086K, 32GB DDR4@3.7Ghz, and a 1080 founders. Task manager shows one core jumping up to 75-80%, and one sticking around 40%. All others are idle.

*The max GPU utilization climbs with clock rate*

DCS does need better optimization. I would probably be getting 90FPS all the time if all my cores were utilized and it wouldn't take 4.7Ghz to feed the 1080 fast enough for it to max out.

2D performance does not reflect VR performance. I'm no expert but I've read that every object costs the CPU double in DCS VR. The engine doesn't just render the same object from two different angles, it creates two different objects.

I've read that flight sims are especially hard to multithread and I believe it. The best multithreaded flight sims are the worst flight sims (FSX, P3D) and the poorly threaded ones are the best (DCS, X-Plane 11). Hopefully someone figures it out or Vulkan does more than the experts expect it will.
Spectre1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 05:35 AM   #25
etherbattx

difficult multi threading is not specifically a flight sim issue.

it’s difficult anytime you need low latency, interactive feedback.

yes flight sims fall into this category, but so do many other types of interactive software (including most games).
etherbattx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8700k, htc vive, ryzen 1700