Building a new rig, any advice?

Dear fellows,

after years of silently following this wonderful Forum, I am posting my first message in here hoping to receive some valuable advice on my next rig.

The current situation is as follows: PC is gone for good (the reason is a story for another day..), and I am left with my monitor (VK278Q, 60Hz, 1920 x 1080), a 500 Gb Samsung Pro SSD, the Saitek X52Pro Hotas + MFG Crosswind, and a genuine will to come back flying asap.

My current wish list is

i7 8700K

MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DD4-3200 CL16 Quad Kit

Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2

2x 500Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 2280 NVMe

1200 Watt Corsair Professional HX1200i 80+ Platinum

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition

Win10 Home

GPU: and here is the conundrum ..

1) any advice on the GPU? I am looking to a GTX 1080 or a 1070 Ti, but may settle for something less performing until the Volta is out. This GPU would only serve me to cure my addiction until later in the year (Volta+VR), given my current monitor characteristics. I will keep playing on my current monitor (see above), and I will only join the VR bandwagon on its second generation (I've tried the current one: fantastic, but not my cup as it is now). I will probably not need a 1080 Ti (also given the sudden surge in price), as the monitor won't be up to it anyway. A 1080 or a 1070 Ti will allow me to save 200-300 Eur, which will eventually go towards the Warthog (about time to upgrade my hotas, although the X52 has served me flawlessly for more than 7 years).

I pushed the budget on components that are expected to stay with me for a longer time (PSU, Case, RAM, M2 ssd's)

2) Is this RAM ( channels and freq.) a good choice? Amount is fine, I want to get it and be done for the next few years (me hopes..)

3) My MoBo-RAM combination: anyone has experience with these two together?

4) PSU power overkill? The reasoning was to future proof towards dual GPU / VR / additional toys drawing from it; plus, price difference from 1000W is minimal)

5) Any other advice on possible choices?

Rig will be also used for video editing (amateur-level, nothing major) and professional math/engineering sw for heavy-ish simulations.

Thanks in advance guys!

Gab

Edited by gabgio
Forgot to add the case

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

Nice looking rig, I am envious. I hope to do a new build later in the year.

GPU - IF you are not going VR until the next gen vid card is out, I am sure the 1070 would do just fine. If you were going to go VR beforehand, I would encourage at least a 1080 or 1080 Ti for best possible performance.

I have been a fan of Corsair memory for about as long as I have been building my rigs, I have had great success with their Dominator series.

PSU - yeah probably a little overkill, but that is a good quality you have picked. Never hurts having too much, certainly can having too little. I have run a Corsair HX 1000 for almost 5 years with no issues.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hey dburne,thanks for the quick reaction!

As you, I would hold for longer, if I had a machine to work with. I have been holding for the past few months, enough is enough biggrin.gif! After all, the only things I am planning to add later this year (or early next year, let's see what comes out) are the GPU and a VR set.

Cheers mate!

4) 1200w psu is for a quad SLI config. 1000w for Triple SLI. The level of efficiency of the psu is chosen in function of the total wattage draw by your pc. Bronze for one video card, gold for two, ...

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Make sure the PSU will fit in the case. I once bought a 1200 Watt PSU and had to get the hacksaw out:doh:

Also check out if that cooler is going to be good enough. I have a custom loop and I prefer the bespoke path. It has 360 rad and a D5 vario with dualbay resevoir and a XSPC block, keeping my 8600k @60C under load @5.2Ghz Well worth considering for such a nice rig, it does not look as though your skimping on any of the components

Also the 1080Ti will be more future proof than the 1080 though the 1080 is an amazing card :thumbup:

PS welcome to the forums :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demon_, Cibit, thanks for the input.

@Demon_ Yes, I have used several PSU calculators with an OC i7 8700K to 5.0, dual GPUs 1080 Ti (again, future proof is the keyword here), and all bells and whistles, and there seem to be a consensus that a 1000W would be the wise choice. Since the price difference is minimal, I went one step higher.

@Cibit Thanks! And yes, 1080Ti would be the way to go, but given my current monitor, I will directly go with the Volta (or equivalent AMD alternative, if that happens!) and VR later, and save the money for the moment. I was even thinking to get smt lower (eg non-Ti 1070). It's all about compromises, given the fact I choose the wrong career, money-wise smartass.gif

I'll check for size specs before pulling the trigger, good thinking! ... and, holy S$$$t! 5.2 GHz?? Stable? I may save some money on my apartment heating biggrin.gif

Edited by gabgio
Typo

Your PSU is fine if you plan on SLI.

the target consumption under load is 50%, my rig + 2 Poseidons use 550-700W depending on load and OC.

If you buy a 750 or 800w PSU and come along with 2 cards you are screwed, it will heat up, spin the fan like mad and be dead too soon.

Pick a Seasonic Prime Titanium, best you can buy as of today, but your HX is ok too, tho I would then pick an AXi like I have to be able to measure the watts and OCP settings etc...

GPU, well, if you live in the states, even a 1070 is hard to get under 500$, rather 600 !!!!

You may wanna keep what you have if possible and wait for those prices to come down from stellar regions.

If you buy a 1070 for 600 you might as well get a 1080 or Ti, its not that much more then.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

4) 1200w psu is for a quad SLI config. 1000w for Triple SLI. The level of efficiency of the psu is chosen in function of the total wattage draw by your pc. Bronze for one video card, gold for two, ...

that full nonsense !!!!!!!!!!!

4 x 250w nominal load without ANY oc will already tilt the system, there also is a CPU, board, RAM, drives, fans, etc etc.

for 4 Ti's you need 1500W or more if you plan to OC them all + CPU.

Given that his 8700k can easily pull 150+Watts, mine does, plus 2 x 280W, plus all the rest.

Do the math and stop people talkingt into too small PSU's. I changed 3 of those last month,

all friends, all tried to cut corners and didnt listen, they all learned the lesson, at least part of it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

After Intels recent screw up and they still released coffee lake .... I would go AMD

my PC spec

8700k @ 4.9Ghz

Z370 Gigabyte aorus Ultra gaming

32G corsair vengence @ 3866Mhz

Zotac 1080TI AMP

nzxt Kraken x62 cooler (great)

1TB samsung 961 polaris m.2

1TB samsung 850 SSD

2TB WD black

1TB WD black

Corsair 850W PSU

Corsair osidian 750D airflow (if you use mechanical HD's do NOT buy this case)

1. Buy the best you can

2. I did a lot of number crunching and it work out best bang for buck with the 3866Mhz RAM (for me)

3. Unknown

4. Tis a very big power supply, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

If you aren't going SLI, and I don't know why anyone would, you will be fine with an 850W PSU...and as for GPU with your monitor you would be fine to get your 60 frames with a 900 series...I wouldn't get anything better if it means spending more money.

I'd also suggest to wait for the new Ryzens coming this quarter before you make up your mind, both to gauge their performance and see Intel's response. I'm gettin 4Ghz out of my 1700x and I'm a noob overclocker, I expect it won't be hard to get some pretty competitive performance out of AMD's Ryzen 2s.

I have the Kraken X62 and not sure I would get it again, if only because it required me to purchase a USB splitter to put in my case. There are other perfectly good coolers out there.

Thank you all for the inputs! A few points:

@ BitMaster I could not find the Seasonic at 1200W, only 1000W (and more expensive than my current choice). Any pointers? The AXi is nice, but it's a full 100€ more (+40% compared to the HXi).

Looking at your signature, we seem to live close by, depending on what you mean with SW Germany. I'm around Munich. On the classic online shops, the 1080 Ti comes and goes, but it's never below 820-840 €. The 1080 is 600-650€. The 1070 Ti 550-600€, and the 1070 the same (!), although a couple of stores still sell for 50 less.

Mala tempura currunt for RAM and GPUs :(

@Johnny_Rico Your MoBo looks interesting (similar characteristics of my choice, if not for the integrated WiFi, which I need, as the bloody router is on the other side of the apartment; and I prefer built-in WiFi rather than having a PCI or a USB --God forbids!-- occupied for it).

As for the Intel security threat, I am not that concerned, and I strongly suspect the 8700K, when OC at its best potential, will stay ahead for some time even after the introduction of the Ryzen 2 (at least for what concerns DCS). Plus, the price of the 8700K has nicely 'dropped' during the last days in my shop of choice.

Out of curiosity: why do you say the Obsidian and mechanical HDDs do not match? Vibrations? I see you have two in your system. I am not planning for one, but just in case..

Last, the 3866Mhz RAM set goes for +20% the price of the 3200 set right now.. I am all for marginal gains, but this is quite a step, I am not so sure of the benefits. Perhaps you bought it sometime ago, with lower prices? Now the 3200 kit goes for 400€, the 3866 one goes for 480-500€, at least in here.

@smallberries: exactly! I will keep my monitor at the moment, and I also suspect that a 900 would do for the time being. As or the Ryzen.. well, yes, but there is always something new just behind the corner (don't I know it, I've been postponing this new rig for way too long :doh: ). And I think the 8700K will fight the good fight for a long time to come..

Edited by gabgio
Typos

8700K based system was bought and assembled in Nov 2017

Vibrations from the HD are a problem, the case without them is totally silent

you cant hear a thing from it, with the HD's got a a bit of annoying vibration noise

Going to try a bungee mod to hold the mech 3.5" drives instead of caddies

similar to this

4313388167_793cb1f715.jpg

4314120702_e323b976d8.jpg

11553400.jpg

With the RAM I calced out the speed x quantity / price, for various 32G types, 3866 was a best value, I just did the Math

I build a lot of systems per year, now is the worst time to buy / build, if you

can afford to wait a month or two prices wont be so high

I had no choice my former mobo crapped itself

But all that shaking can't be good for the bits.

Yes, I'm joking. :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I've always been partial to Win Pro as opposed to Home. I don't think there's a huge price difference is there? Off the top of my head, I don't know what the differences are. Back in the days, there were some pronounced differences.

If you have to shave off some money, you could always start with 16GB (just don't fill up the banks, obviously) and you can easily upgrade it later.

If you decide to get the 8700K CPU, I can't recommend delid'ing it more. Check out RockitCool's delid tool. It takes 45 min, it's simple, and works like a charm. Some protection from thermal/heat throttling of CPU if you decide to overclock it.

Also, 2X NVMe might to an overkill, no? I would go with 512GB NVMe, and a 1TB SSD. You can keep mission critical things like Windows and DCS on the NVMe and keep other things on the SSD.

Also, I would recommend one 2TB or so hard drive. I use it to backup the NVMe and for keeping non-essential downloads (Nvidia updates, steam updates, etc.). It keeps the SSDs and NVMes cleaner, and you can quickly back things up.

I would add Acronis backup software to the mix. You can get a family 3Pack for almost nothing these days. I can't tell you how many times Acronis has saved my ass. Good luck and have fun!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

A psu should run in the range of his high efficiency, the top of the dome. Around 20% to 75% load for the HXi. Still at 90% over 75% load. At 75% load (900w) he will generate 89w of heat. High end psu can run higher than average psu.

195F3FB9B0D5496DA4DA261DAB431EA4.ashx?w=625

The recommended psu (by NVIDIA) for a 1080Ti is 600w (with a i7 3.2Ghz). 850w for SLI. With a high end CPU (8700K) or a high overclock video card, expect something little bigger...https://seasonic.com/wattage-calculator

Yes, that's the point: it may not be in the higher efficiency band for the next months, but it will stay there once I'll get the i7 OC'ed and the Volta/AMD equivalent.

Cheers!

I've always been partial to Win Pro as opposed to Home. I don't think there's a huge price difference is there? Off the top of my head, I don't know what the differences are. Back in the days, there were some pronounced differences.

The additional features are not very useful to me, I am a Linux user. Win10 will only be used for gaming and a couple of software's that have not yet made their way to the other side of the moon

If you have to shave off some money, you could always start with 16GB (just don't fill up the banks, obviously) and you can easily upgrade it later.

True that!

If you decide to get the 8700K CPU, I can't recommend delid'ing it more. Check out RockitCool's delid tool. It takes 45 min, it's simple, and works like a charm. Some protection from thermal/heat throttling of CPU if you decide to overclock it.

Noted! Is that really so simple? I am known to be quite destructive when doing something practical with my bare hands.. :D

Also, 2X NVMe might to an overkill, no? I would go with 512GB NVMe, and a 1TB SSD. You can keep mission critical things like Windows and DCS on the NVMe and keep other things on the SSD. Also, I would recommend one 2TB or so hard drive. I use it to backup the NVMe and for keeping non-essential downloads (Nvidia updates, steam updates, etc.). It keeps the SSDs and NVMes cleaner, and you can quickly back things up. I would add Acronis backup software to the mix. You can get a family 3Pack for almost nothing these days. I can't tell you how many times Acronis has saved my ass.

Not really: Win10 + Some heavy profession-related sw on one, DCS (and other gaming-related stuff) on the other. The lightning fast R/W speed is too good to pass! I have an SSD for processing/temp storing data related to the sw, and external HDD back-ups. I use Unison from Linux for sync'ing and backup, no need of corporate sw for that ;) I am the classic control freak, I refuse to let a sw decide what, when and how when it comes to my data :D

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks! Can't wait!

Edited by gabgio

Pro is geared more toward businesses and has better remote management stuff, most normal users not running a domain controller in their house are better off with home

BAD idea, trying to get even exactly the same RAM brand/model to work with another exact same set might be hard, better to buy 4 x 8G sticks that are matched exactly the same at the factory and sold as a single kit

I would add Acronis backup software to the mix. You can get a family 3Pack for almost nothing these days. I can't tell you how many times Acronis has saved my ass. Good luck and have fun!

Good idea, I have been using acronis for a decade or more now

I used to use the high end version of it to backups of about 600 PC's across 2 sites, great bit of software

Being able to to take backups of your OS while running windows is great

I use this software a lot .. any time I play the fun game of driver roulette with Nvidia stuff

Takes about 3 minutes to backup my entire 100G OS partition, I keep my OS and my doc/data seperate

I use simple scripts to backup my data to a RAID5 NAS I Have on my network

@gabgio, are you using backing up your OS partition ?

Edited by Johnny_Rico

Do the math:

CPU =130w

MoBo=60w

1080Ti=250w

RAM (2 modules)=6w

So, 450w+ for one card, 700w+ for SLI. With a 1000w psu, your at 45%+ or 70%+ system load.

Note the throttling at +4.8Ghz (cb Score). It cannot dissipate heat quickly enough.

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PL1gvNzE2Mjg5L29yaWdpbmFsLzAxLUNsb2NrLVJhdGUtdnMuLVBvd2VyLUNvbnN1bXB0aW9uLnBuZw==

Don't forget, DCS need less than 2 cores, he (8700K 6 cores) will never need 130w to run.

Edited by Demon_

Do the math:

CPU =130w

MoBo=60w

1080Ti=250w

RAM (2 modules)=6w

So, 450w+ for one card, 700w+ for SLI. With a 1000w psu, your at 45%+ or 70%+ system load.

FIG

Don't forget, DCS need less than 2 cores, he (8700K 6 cores) will never need 130w to run.

I understand your point, but a) I have no idea about power consumption of the Volta (but judging from the trends in the 10 series ( https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/compare/ ) I would bet on breaking the 300W wall, despite the recurrent 'more power efficient' statements.. ) b) an OC'ed i7 can spike that and beyond c) I am not only using this rig for DCS (I saw in this very forum screenshots of 4-cores usage, was I dreaming?), but also for some engineering software that makes heavy use of all cores (example: Matlab Image Processing Toolbox and Parallel Computing Toolbox, on top of my mind) d) additional toys drawing power, adding an overhead of 10/15% to that).

All in all, 1000W would probably be a good choice, I'd still have a slight preference for 1200W to stay in the 50% regime and prevent spike-related problems under prolonged heavy loads.

Cheers!

I understand your point, but a) I have no idea about power consumption of the Volta (but judging from the trends in the 10 series ( https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/compare/ ) I would bet on breaking the 300W wall, despite the recurrent 'more power efficient' statements.. ) b) an OC'ed i7 can spike that and beyond c) I am not only using this rig for DCS (I saw in this very forum screenshots of 4-cores usage, was I dreaming?), but also for some engineering software that makes heavy use of all cores (example: Matlab Image Processing Toolbox and Parallel Computing Toolbox, on top of my mind) d) additional toys drawing power, adding an overhead of 10/15% to that).

All in all, 1000W would probably be a good choice, I'd still have a slight preference for 1200W to stay in the 50% regime and prevent spike-related problems under prolonged heavy loads.

Cheers!

Good choice !

If you would ever need to troubleshoot that PC for any reason and need to run test-apps mwhich stress your PC, you do need all the rated power for every device.

2 cores is not true in RL. DCS itself uses only 2 cores, yes, but to run DCS you can see many more cores hard at work.

I have posted screenshots in this forum showing SIX real cores ( ProcessLasso ) at HARD work, without ANY other app open, no VR, no TiR, TS, SRS, Streaming...

Take a 1200w if you ever plan SLI. EVGA Ti's mare rated 280w each, non overclocked.

1000w is ok too, but the fan might spin up and it heats up when going 700w etc..

My fan didnt spin up in SLI and 600w +/- at 48.5C and 93-94% eff, as shown in Corsair Link.

@gabgio, are you using backing up your OS partition ?

Not in the past, but after a recent massive disaster caused by one of the latest updates for Windows10 on a friend's PC that took me two days to solve, I may start doing it. But again, I usually deactivate all automatic updates, and make one big round of updates (selected ones) every few months, taking care of saving the current status for roll backs. On Linux, I still have to experience a problem that required total reinstall (and even if were to happen, it wouldn't be a problem).

.. any time I play the fun game of driver roulette with Nvidia stuff

lol.gif

Edited by gabgio