RVV-AE Tips - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #21
FlankerMan

Reputation power: 1
FlankerMan is on a distinguished road

Okay, I think I've got it! I've been able to make several kills, some of them BVR, with the RVV-AE. Again, is there a way to tell how many chaff and flares I have left in the MiG-29S?
FlankerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #22
Alfa
Veteran

Reputation power: 89
Alfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to beholdAlfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerMan View Post
Okay, I think I've got it! I've been able to make several kills, some of them BVR, with the RVV-AE. Again, is there a way to tell how many chaff and flares I have left in the MiG-29S?
On the real aircraft there is a counter on the front panel(see attachement), but I don't know if this is currently working in the sim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MIG-29S_CM_counter.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	665.3 KB
ID:	176264  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #23
esb77

Reputation power: 7
esb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the roughesb77 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
How come the R-77 is so short-ranged? And, how come it's not as good as the AMRAAM? One last thing: I have a book that says the R-77 can go 80km, when the in-game encyclopedia says 50km, and the actual range is more like 25km. Why all the difference?
Range = distance listed in a book or on a wiki

is not a valid equation.

Range = mathematical expression incorporating: launch velocity, target velocity, difference in gravitational potential energy, atmospheric conditions etc.

Change any of the variables in the real equation for range and the resulting range changes.

Let's take an example:

Say you're flying at about 7500 m, and there's a target that's an F-15. You're at a nice 220 m/s, but what effect does the target's velocity have?

Say it's a foolish person that's been closing on you at max afterburner for quite a while trying to get above Mach 2, so they're adding about 500 m/s to the effective speed of your missile.

If your missile is in the air for 10 seconds, 500 m/s * 10 s = 5 km of effective range.

Supposing you can launch early enough so that the missile can fly 30 seconds, in that case the 500 m/s gives you 15 km worth of effective range.

Now take that target and turn it around so that it's flying away from you. Now the relative speed it's contributing to your missile is - 280 m/s.

Over 10 seconds that's 2.8 km less range, over 30 seconds that's 8.4 km less range.

So compared to the first scenario, there's up to a 23.4 km difference in effective range, just based on what direction the target is flying.

There is no single range. Range depends on a bunch of variables.

When looking at wikis or books the range figure is often the manufacture's listed figure, which is often a number optimized for selling as many missiles as possible.

Ranges at which missiles can hit in realistic situations are normally drastically shorter.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.
esb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #24
FlankerMan

A couple quick questions:

1-Would carrying 6 RVV-AEs, instead of 2 R-73s and 4 R-77s, be an okay loadout? Y'now, to get more bandits at BVR?

2-Is trying to engage 2 targets, as long as they're not competent fighters (like, say, UAVs, bombers, attack aircraft) be worth it?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #25
Ironhand
Veteran

Reputation power: 43
Ironhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to all

Quote:
A couple quick questions:

1-Would carrying 6 RVV-AEs, instead of 2 R-73s and 4 R-77s, be an okay loadout? Y'now, to get more bandits at BVR?...
Sure, if you can load them... As long as you never let a BVR fight transition into a close-range knife fight. Otherwise you'll wish you had those two R-73s.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 AM   #26
FlankerMan

Default 1,620km/h!!!

Not really related, but I just hit 1,620km/h in the MiG-29S! Of course, the canopy was off, no external stores were being carried (not even ammo, chaff, or flares), the landing gear, flaps, and airbrake were all retracted, the computer was yelling 'maximum speed' at me, and afterwards, either the engines turned off, or I ran out of fuel (which would also result in them turning off). Still, I think 1,620km/h counts! Do any of you agree?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #27
Ironhand
Veteran

Reputation power: 43
Ironhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to all

Quote:
How come the R-77 is so short-ranged?...I have a book that says the R-77 can go 80km, when the in-game encyclopedia says 50km, and the actual range is more like 25km. Why all the difference?
FWIW, the max kinematic range I've seen in the sim is around 82 km (track attached). The problem, of course, is that this range exceeds the radar's ability to provide a lock (on a DCS aircraft with enough speed to produce these ranges). So you won't be able to launch until around 60 km. And, at the speeds involved, the missile will have only traveled about 40 km before the kill. All of which illustrates just how "slippery" a term "range" is, when talking about missiles as others have indicated.

Quote:
Not really related, but I just hit 1,620km/h in the MiG-29S! Of course, the canopy was off, no external stores were being carried (not even ammo, chaff, or flares), the landing gear, flaps, and airbrake were all retracted, the computer was yelling 'maximum speed' at me, and afterwards, either the engines turned off, or I ran out of fuel (which would also result in them turning off). Still, I think 1,620km/h counts! Do any of you agree?
We talking IAS or TAS? I have to admit, that's pretty impressive, if we're talking IAS. Though there's still room to grow...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82km.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	176293   Click image for larger version

Name:	2620.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	176294   Click image for larger version

Name:	2150.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	521.1 KB
ID:	176295  

Attached Files
File Type: trk R-77 Range Test v F-14.trk (34.4 KB, 3 views)

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last edited by Ironhand; 01-17-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote