Datalink in MP = Instant CTD

BLUEmako

I recently purchased the F/A-18. When I try to turn the datalink on n multiplayer I get a freeze and CTD as soon as I hit the on button on the UFC.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I couldn't find any other threads...

DCS-modules-500x100.png

Ryzen 5 5600X, RTX 2070S, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Win 10 Pro

Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro Pedals, Track IR

Your system should certainly be able to handle it. Maybe try deleting fxo and metashaders2 from the Saved Games folder and running a cleanup and repair.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• ED Team

Hi BLUEmako

please try removing any unofficial mods ( if any)

run a cleanup and repair or verify for steam

retest, if you still get the crash please add your dcs log as a zip file here and we will look for clues.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I ran a repair. Still the same.

I removed all mods, ran cleanup and repair. Still the same.

I uninstalled DCS completely. Reinstalled vanilla DCS with F/A-18 as the only module installed. Still instant CTD in multiplayer when activating datalink. Happens in at least two servers.

The datalink works absolutely fine in single player. This is only occurring in multiplayer.

Some log files attached. Will try to capture another to make sure it's there.

BM

dcs.log.txt

dcs.log.old.txt

DCS-modules-500x100.png

Couple more log files after deleting fxo and metashaders directories and letting them rebuild.

And more confusion.

Crashes seem to be server specific. I was able to start datalink fine in one server but then when I went back into growling sidewinder the datalink crash happened again.

Attached are two more log files, one for the ok mp server, the other for the crash in the growling sidewinder server.

Note memory usage during these sessions got up to 17 GB with almost no paging pool, seemed to be all in the physical RAM.

dcs-dl-ok.log.txt

dcs-dl-not-ok.log.txt

DCS-modules-500x100.png

• ED Team

Did you try a fresh DCS folder in your saved games also?

rule out any settings / config / or mod issues.

Rename it and keep it as a backup and restart dcs and test.

C:\Users\Greg\Saved Games\DCSbackup

when you restart login, and do your settings. then test without adding any mod or third party tool or app.

also is your GPU overclocked?

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I did notice that the crashes might be related to having a JF-17 in the server mission? Consistent ctd with datalink active when JF-17 are around.

Also, I seem to be able to connect to openbeta MP servers even though I am running the main client? Is that normal?

DCS-modules-500x100.png

Okay, I installed the open beta version. I've done a quick couple of tests and I can connect to MP servers and use the F/A-18 datalink without an instacrash.

My theory is that the issue is related to some change that has been made with the latest patch and implemented updates in the open beta that are not in the stable release. Joining openbeta servers when using the stable release seems to provoke the issue.

DCS-modules-500x100.png

• ED Team

Good to hear you have made some progress and thank you for letting us know.

Well my release version is still not working. I don't have the hard drive space to have to run the open beta version as well as the release version with all of my modules installed.

At the very least the F/A-18 datalink should not be causing ctd when you are using the release client.

And is it intentional to allow connection to open beta servers when running the release client?

DCS-modules-500x100.png

And is it intentional to allow connection to open beta servers when running the release client?

Kind of. Basically they have something on the backend that states what servers your install is allowed to see and as a byproduct connect to. They don't change the value with every single patch. So it is possible to have several patches where the value is the same which is likely the case. Considering the difference between open beta and release right now is that open beta has the JF-17 and release doesn't, then I'd think the back end value should have changed.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I am also experiencing these crashes and never had them before the JF-17 came out. I patched everything (Windoze, DCS, Drivers) and got no change. I am running the Release version. I can play fine as long as there is no JF-17 present. I can't prove that is what is causing it, but it is consistent. I spawned about 8 times and turned on D/L without crashing, as long as I was on a mostly empty server. There is nothing logged in dcs.log when it exits to desktop.

PS: I have 64GB of RAM, so this is not an out of memory issue.

Ok I checked and the server that I was crashing on does have JF-17 (I assume that means it is running Open Beta) and I was able to connect to it with the Release client. So I think what Grimes says is the problem, there needs to be a change to what versions are allowed to play together.