DCS: Spitfire Mk LF IXc Discussion

Yo-Yo

it doesn't sound like the Spitfire that totally green rookies found 'easy to fly'.

Don't think of it as game played on a desktop and with a suped-duper joystick to throw arround...

Imagine someone holding a gun to your head saying "You crash this spitfire, you die" and you'll find it real easy to fly without any incidents.

That's how those green rookies flew it.

On the matter of subject, brakes off!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to hear that you are modelling hardcore Yo-Yo.

Given that in reality a pilot has a warning about the imminent stall by the buffeting (which he can feel in the stick, in his body by the airframe vibrations, and hear the sound as well), whereas in a sim we lack the haptic feedback for this (except for the guys who use FFB, but they can only feel it in the stick and not in their body), the only real feedback that is left for us is much less. We have the sound of the buffetting and possibly the visual aspect of the vibrating airframe.

In the P51 you included the sound of buffeting, but i find it somewhat less loud than what it should be in order to use it as a warning sign.Do you think you could do something about this? Like providing a user option for turning such sounds up?

thanks

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

So Spitfire pilots were more scared of crashing their aircraft than being killed by the enemy?
:lol:

easy rider :joystick: as U C :D

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

I hope the wings dont go Crumpp to easily if I get myself in a PIO as a function of the inherent relaxed stability.

Some significant Differences between the MKV and MKIX I wouldn't be calling them pretty much the same aircraft !

Edited by IvanK

OK, maybe I'm slow, but can anyone explain to me what is this topic about? :) A sticky just to say Spit is harder to handle than Stang?

And BTW, I start to get an impression that aircrafts have one stability (I've always thought there were three of them) since everybody just say stability.

• ED Team
OK, maybe I'm slow, but can anyone explain to me what is this topic about? :) A sticky just to say Spit is harder to handle than Stang?

And BTW, I start to get an impression that aircrafts have one stability (I've always thought there were three of them) since everybody just say stability.

Its a discussion about the Spit by the person creating the FM... consider it an open channel to pick his brain... he asked for it ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Ah, ok, thanks Sith.

Since Yo-Yo hasn't been worn out yet by you, lot, let me ask the first question ;)

Will/do DCS WW2 aircrafts feature proper output of calculated forces on the controls via FFB?

Edited by Bucic

• ED Team
I hope the wings dont go Crumpp to easily if I get myself in a PIO as a function of the inherent relaxed stability.

Some significant Differences between the MKV and MKIX I wouldn't be calling them pretty much the same aircraft !

Ok I over generalized a little there, but many assets in creating one could apply for the other...

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
I take it the effect of fabric on the elevators (mkV) versus the metal ones (mk IX) will be included in this?

We should be careful, no one has said we are getting the MKV.... it could be just referenced for the similarities between them :)

That said... I wonder if there is anything as far as tests showing the differences....

64Sig.png

Wait.... Are you tryin to tell me that I Can't roll over and pull full-back on the stick to effortlessly get behind an enemy on my 6??? WAAATTTT????? Noooowaaaaayyyyyy! Sounds like he's "warning" those of us who been playing WarThunder :D

Hey, all I care about is accuracy. Ill either lean to deal with it or ill crash and burn. I just don't want to get into a contest of who's better at exploiting a broken model....

• ED Team

If you find different stability curves for IX, please share it to me. :) Theoretically, the new engine can change the balance fore, but in this case increased elevator deflection per 1g would require significantly heavier forces on the stick. So, I think, that the evidencies of positive stable IX would be different (increased) force compensation on the elevator or pilot's lamentations about "much hevier control". :)

The in-sim problem is how to harmonize in one joystick acceptable forces and low travel... because in real Spit there was no problem in control due to optimal "force feedback" :)

Mmmm... I am close to say that Mitchell invented two features of contemporary fighters: neutral stability and tensometric stick. :)

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Hi Yo-Yo, great stuff, may I ask at what speed and conditions a 3/4" stick movement leads to stall - e.g. is this at all speeds or at a specific speed? Also is this to the stall or to the buffet before stall? I tried to find the NACA report just for interest as many people are discussing it now and I could only find what is apparently a small excerpt posted in another forum (http://forum.axishistory.com/download/file.php?id=107042&sid=ad960f9c2a8450d5c522089bddadf0a5). Is this the right report and the 3/4" stick movement is in regards to pulling on the elevator? Many thanks.

Edited by Bounder

My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).

Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5.
My DCS Youtube Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/No64Bounder

It must be some mixing up. I mean 3/4 inch (ca. 20mm) of stick travel is literally nada!!!! Maybe Yo-yo meant 3/4 of the stick travel (75%)? Also it should be defined what speed we are talking about.

DCS P51 is the first sim what made me desperate to have FFB. It is very difficult to fly on the edge without it in this sim. And that is how it supposed to be.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

• ED Team
Hi Yo-Yo, great stuff, may I ask at what speed and conditions a 3/4" stick movement leads to stall - e.g. is this at all speeds or at a specific speed? Also is this to the stall or to the buffet before stall? I tried to find the NACA report just for interest as many people are discussing it now and I could only find what is apparently a small excerpt posted in another forum (http://forum.axishistory.com/download/file.php?id=107042&sid=ad960f9c2a8450d5c522089bddadf0a5). Is this the right report and the 3/4 stick movement is in regards to pulling on the elevator? Many thanks.

I have another report of Sep 1942 that has the same statement but in different words. So there are at least 3 sources (I have 2) that stated in different form the same thing. THe thing, by the way, is consequent from the neutral stability of the plane and is very typical. What's not very typical is very mild post-stall behaviour making possible to enter post-critical AoA to shoot at the target in turn, for example.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
It must be some mixing up. I mean 3/4 inch (ca. 20mm) of stick travel is literally nada!!!! Maybe Yo-yo meant 3/4 of the stick travel (75%)? Also it should be defined what speed we are talking about.

DCS P51 is the first sim what made me desperate to have FFB. It is very difficult to fly on the edge without it in this sim. And that is how it supposed to be.

No, it was 3/4 INCH travel. Typical requirement for fighters was 4 inches.