Ground texture detail and elevation detail

Hi, I have just noticed while doing some free flight over Nevada, that I appear to have some fairly basic looking areas of texture and terrain mapping around Las Vegas.... I thought this was a Hi res area? Across some nearby low mountains there appeared to be bands of higher detail, with more blurred basic textures between......

Is this correct ?

What are the plans for more elevation details and world texture details in DCS world?

Thanks!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Graphic settings maxed out. This is the result. Im rather OK with elevation detail progresive change according to zoom function - could be tuned little bit to better detail even when zoomed out... What if this will be some DCS graphic setting slider?

The textures now are really poor. From 20 000ft the Nevada Range looks like my eyeball vision after 2 bottles of RUM :D

HWOwyPo.png

LoLAVBT.png

XEmkqym.png

QEN7jaV.png

I experience the same. All high settings. The Sally Corridor looks awful once you climb above 10,000 feet. It's like all the textures in the entire map default to a blurred, lo-res version at altitude. Even the terrain mesh changes. When I zoom in I often see mountains grow. This is typically around Range 62B.

The actual setting of "Preload Radius", I don’t get it.

I tried to set different amount of it, but with same exact blurry textures.

So does it have any connection with textures at all???

I flew over Nevada yesterday two more times, and I noticed, that nice textures appeared only in very near distance from my "ground position".

I mean like 2 miles radius or when high, than in cone angle of 30° under me.

The way like the Nevada is now tuned is the best performance/graphic setting for choppers. But DEFINITELY NOT for aircraft pilots. :doh:

Please, make some Graphic slider in module special settings, to be able achieve sharp textures & elevation detail in more distance :thumbup:

Use Mustangs mod...much better with it.

It edits terrain lua to give higher res mesh.

The persian gulf terrain tweaks works wonderfully for Nevada too.

Yep use the Persian Gulf mod as linked below in my sig, it will also affect the Nevada map as aceviper says as the terrainoptions41.lua included is shared by both maps.

Thanks very much Mustang,

terrainoptions41.lua helped a lot. But in the end, this is a mod and I would like to read a respond from DCS developers, that they are aware of this problem and will solve this ASAP.

ASAP = as soon as practical

This is combat simulator, not sightseeing simulator.

• 3 months later...

No response from ED side at all?

I assume that better elevation detail without zoom will cause higher PC demands. But what if have that PC that can handle it? Why I need to watch those "not very nice" scenery if there can may be done some Graphic setting option to be able set my best? :thumbup:

Most of the pilot fly this map at morning or dusk? Because only than the shadows will give the map feel of plasticity and elevations. I know that this is partly based on real nature effects and I can see these effects every time I get airborne myself. But why to make the elevation feel around the noon even worse? :doh:

This picture not from noon, but still the hills are flat. With zoom hills will raise, but the texture in zoom is awful.

Screen_190601_023316.thumb.png.7120685813aa40f1618f52f49b9c3e2a.png

Edited by GumidekCZ

• 6 months later...

You are beating a dead horse.

The map is finished and has been so for a long time.

ED has stated several times that there are no plans to change anything on this map.

With that said, I think the map looks pretty darn decent, sometimes stunning. But yes, the edges on the map have much lower detail.

The map aims to make believable Red Flag scenarios and training doable, something it succceeds with to a large degree.