Another engine keeps blowing thread

The governor should be in the forward position before engine startup to taxi, and the governor should be in the aft position prior to takeoff. Do the startup training mission over again until you figure out what exactly you are doing wrong. If you cant do it in the startup training mission, then something is definitely wrong.

Edit: I just did the training mission too, and you dont need to keep the governor full forward prior to takeoff. They state it should be aft after engine start. I did test that though, and I didnt blow the engine before takeoff. Didnt have any issues taking off either, but with the governor forward, the engine popped. Im also fairly new to flying the Bf109 too, I dont really fly it because I like to actually have a trimable aircraft. And since Im still relatively new to it, take my word for it that the governor cant be set correctly by what you are telling us.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

The governor should be in the forward position before engine startup to taxi, and the governor should be in the aft position prior to takeoff. Do the startup training mission over again until you figure out what exactly you are doing wrong. If you cant do it in the startup training mission, then something is definitely wrong.

Edit: I just did the training mission too, and you dont need to keep the governor full forward prior to takeoff. They state it should be aft after engine start. I did test that though, and I didnt blow the engine before takeoff. Didnt have any issues taking off either, but with the governor forward, the engine popped. Im also fairly new to flying the Bf109 too, I dont really fly it because I like to actually have a trimable aircraft. And since Im still relatively new to it, take my word for it that the governor cant be set correctly by what you are telling us.

Thanks pingpong. Maybe it's worth mentioning I'm doing this in 2.1 not 1.5... Is anyone else having problems?

I should also mention I used to have 0 problems flying the 109 from a cold start until this update.

And holy cow WR AFB... that brings back memories.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

So was able to start up and t/o without a problem from the VA 1.5 server. I did notice the temps were almost in the green even before startup. Where as the cold start mission from NTTR and normandy are much colder. I'm thinking that's where the problem lies. I did notice the motor seems to be very sensitive to coolant temps as the motor blew as soon as it hit the upper limit.

I just started it up in the VA 2.1 server just now and I didnt have a problem with it either. It was more difficult to start, but other than that I didnt have any issues with the motor blowing.

O/T, I work at Georgia Municipal airport just outside Warner Robins. I get to see the new P-8's fly out of there plus all the tankers and I think Ive seen a few JSTARS. I worked on Dobbins for a long time though if that counts for anything.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Just did the tuturial for start up... nothing sticks out as incorrect versus what I do.

I'm using cold start instant missions on NTTR and Normandy. Both have the engine at around 0 C at start up. Seems very difficult to get the oil temp up. I'm thinking that might be the issue I'm having. Could the cold start lever possible help with this?

Pingpong champeen: Cool dude, I used to live out there for a few years. Nice area and lots of airplanes to see.

Someone more knowledgeable should answer that. In other recip engine aircraft, you dump some fuel into the oil to thin out the viscosity for easier startup in cold weather...the P-51 has this function. I dont recall seeing anything like that in any other aircraft in DCS, though I could be wrong. Try starting without the MW50 then turn it on when you can idle it for more than 1 minute on the ground. Keep the radiators closed and see if that helps increase engine temps before you start to taxi. Flip the governor switch off while you do a low idle warmup too to see if that makes a difference. I might try this too in the meantime.

My wallpaper and skins

They speceficly tell you in the manual to not idle below 900 rpms(if possible due to hi oil pressure if below 5 deg.) and open coolers( they wont work below 750 rpms because they are hydrolic). I will read again to be sure, that's from memory. the engine management is Quite complex yet simple. the coolant wont get to the rads. if you idle too long at too slow rpms. To T.O., I use 11:30 prop and 1.25 ata you shouldn't need full power to takeoff. she heats up quick if you are not moving at least a little (taxi) or facing into the wind before T.O.

Edited by Andy1966

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They speceficly tell you in the manual to not idle below 900 rpms(if possible due to hi oil pressure if below 5 deg.) and open coolers( they wont work below 750 rpms because they are hydrolic). I will read again to be sure, that's from memory. the engine management is Quite complex yet simple. the coolant wont get to the rads. if you idle too long at too slow rpms. To T.O., I use 11:30 prop and 1.25 ata you shouldn't need full power to takeoff. she heats up quick if you are not moving at least a little (taxi) or facing into the wind before T.O.

The game manual specifically states not to let oil psi go above 9.75 (what ever that unit is in metric for pressure). I move the rpm up as quickly as possible while keeping the oil pressure below max. I was not able to get the oil up to temp before the engine blew (I think max rpm was 900, which was the most rpm oil pressure would allow). However, it does state to only hold 600 rpm for 30-45 seconds. Maybe oil pressure doesn't matter after that, maybe you can bring rpm up to 1000 after that warm up period? Or maybe there is a pressure release valve once rpm comes up?

Coolant temp should be taken from the head or block of the engine not the radiators. So if you overheat the motor it should be indicated on the gauge regardless of flow to the radiators (unless the Germans do things really really weird and illogical).

I haven't had a problem with a "warm startup". So I'm confident it's not my procedure, with the exception of a "cold weather start".

Edited by Strong05

Okay, think I finally figured it out.

The manual specifically says not to let the engine idle below 600rpm. Which is what I was letting the engine warm up at to keep from sending the oil psi over redline. Apparently oil psi isn't an issue... this time I just let the engine idle at 600 long enough for the fuel psi to come up then revved it up to 1,000rpm with no regard to oil psi until both oil and coolant temps were in the green with the cooling flaps open. This method seems to work great.

Are you pushing your throttle forward before startup? I usually give it 1" of throttle.

My wallpaper and skins

Okay, think I finally figured it out.

The manual specifically says not to let the engine idle below 600rpm. Which is what I was letting the engine warm up at to keep from sending the oil psi over redline. Apparently oil psi isn't an issue... this time I just let the engine idle at 600 long enough for the fuel psi to come up then revved it up to 1,000rpm with no regard to oil psi until both oil and coolant temps were in the green with the cooling flaps open. This method seems to work great.

You don't need to wait for the fuel pressure.

I turn the rad lever to open before I start the engine, then just blip it to 1000+ rpm after it starts up. Rads will then open properly.

Easy peasy.

There was a time when one didn't have to warm up the engines in DCS warbirds and could takeoff full throttle with oil stone cold. I used to warm them up anyway, just not to learn bad habits.

Looks like this aspect of the engine modelling might have been improved and refined recently.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

There was a time when one didn't have to warm up the engines in DCS warbirds and could takeoff full throttle with oil stone cold. I used to warm them up anyway, just not to learn bad habits.

Looks like this aspect of the engine modelling might have been improved and refined recently.

Possible... I'm still having problems keeping the motor alive. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but it blows not to long after takeoff most of the time. And that's using auto rpm/pitch and 1.2/1.25 boost. I think it has something to do with the auto radiator flaps.

Pretty sure there is some kind of bug here. I made a mission in the editor and put the 109 on the ramp as a hot start. As soon as you spawn into the plane, within 5-10 seconds the motor dies. Doesn't matter what you do.

A bit puzzling really. Could you post this mission here so we could try it out? Does it happen in Normandy only? I don't own this map, but have made some flights in 2.1 over Nevada (using stock cold-start and take-off missions) and the motor ran OK.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I recommend you check the status of vital switches like battery, generator, fuel pumps etc. at mission start. I had the same problem when I started a P-51 mission with hot start, e.g. free flight or take-off from runway. The motor stuttered and lost power within seconds after mission start. I found that the mission started with the fuel shut-off vave in the OFF position. It seems to me that the default position of some switches is wrong.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I recommend you check the status of vital switches like battery, generator, fuel pumps etc. at mission start. I had the same problem when I started a P-51 mission with hot start, e.g. free flight or take-off from runway. The motor stuttered and lost power within seconds after mission start. I found that the mission started with the fuel shut-off vave in the OFF position. It seems to me that the default position of some switches is wrong.

I'll take a closer look. I'll try to post the mission later today.

I just discovered a cold start lever near the throttle. Have you tried it yet? Not alluding to anything, just curious.

My wallpaper and skins

I just discovered a cold start lever near the throttle. Have you tried it yet? Not alluding to anything, just curious.

A cold start lever? never heard of or used it. I know underneath the throttle is a lever you need to slide forward, (fuel lever? Not near my rig to double check at the moment).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Not sure what it is other than it says cold start on it. I believe its a fuel injector for the oil tank.

My wallpaper and skins

Afaik the winter start handle isn´t implemented yet. It should change the ignition sequence when used in cold weather enviroments iirc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looking forward to it, Belsimtek!:thumbup:

In my experience this winter handle is working. At least in my squad tests.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

In my experience this winter handle is working. At least in my squad tests.

How do you use it? I tried using it with the cold start instant action from Normandy and NTTR and it didn't appear to work. I probably wasn't using it correctly though.