SU27 + BVR...? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
m1tp2king

Reputation power: 0
m1tp2king is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SU27 + BVR...?

OK so I was reading a guide on the internet about how to fight BVR with the SU27.
basically the guide said to forget BVR engagement because the SU27 missiles are crap !
how would you recommend me to fight BVR flying the SU27 ?
the guide said I should fly low and use the mountains for cover?
is it true to forget BVR with the SU27 ? Enable ECM? Use radar?
many thanks.

Last edited by m1tp2king; 10-20-2017 at 12:29 PM.
m1tp2king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
Ironhand
Veteran

Reputation power: 41
Ironhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to all

I guess it all depends on 1) whether you are flying against the AI or a human opponent. If the former, BVR engagements work fine assuming you know what you're doing. Against a human opponent things are more problematic and, generally, BVR engagements will go less well for a number of reasons. Some of those reasons have to do with the missiles' limitations. Others have to do with how your opponent handles his platform.

ECM has its uses but it's important to know when to and when not to use it. I use it sparingly myself and only turn it one when it serves my purposes.

Use radar when necessary. Leave it off when the situation demands it.

The answers to some of these questions can fill books because the answer always begins: It depends...

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last edited by Ironhand; 10-20-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
Dauntless

Reputation power: 7
Dauntless is on a distinguished road

...because the answer always begins: It depends...

Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
SinusoidDelta

Reputation power: 9
SinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really nice

Very high mach, very high altitude is the only means of possibly succeeding at a BVR kill.
SinusoidDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #5
Frostie
Veteran

Reputation power: 102
Frostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud ofFrostie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tp2king View Post
OK so I was reading a guide on the internet about how to fight BVR with the SU27.
basically the guide said to forget BVR engagement because the SU27 missiles are crap !
how would you recommend me to fight BVR flying the SU27 ?
the guide said I should fly low and use the mountains for cover?
is it true to forget BVR with the SU27 ? Enable ECM? Use radar?
many thanks.
I'm guessing the guide you read was describing how to fight in multiplayer as a lone wolf.
Most servers in mp are more about getting kills rather than controlling airspace.
The best BVR is done the same no matter what aircraft you fly - high and fast. This way you maximise missile range and situational awareness.

Flying around in the valleys will give you a great insight into how effective a Flanker can be but it won't help you understand the BVR fight or how to get the most out of the Flanker.
If you want to BVR in a Flanker online then forget about the kills and concentrate on staying alive and holding ground, practice scanning patterns, long range engagement profiles and learning the cues when your opponents are overrunning you. Understand about F15 TWS shots, when to recognise what your opponent is doing, when you're being outperformed and always prioritise your virtual life.
"FROSTIE" #55
Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10
www.51st.org
Frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
m1tp2king

Reputation power: 0
m1tp2king is an unknown quantity at this point

what height should I fly at? 8000 ? Or higher?
m1tp2king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
kreisch

kreisch will become famous soon enoughkreisch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tp2king View Post
what height should I fly at? 8000 ? Or higher?
That's not high
Put a 2 in front....

Do not punch me but - it depends.
In general I fly slightly below contrail altitude or above (depends on my fuel available and the time I have to be on station)

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
Ironhand
Veteran

Reputation power: 41
Ironhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreisch View Post
That's not high
Put a 2 in front....
Assuming he's talking about 8000 meters and not feet, he was just about there.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
kreisch

kreisch will become famous soon enoughkreisch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhand View Post
Assuming he's talking about 8000 meters and not feet, he was just about there.
Damn.... Yes I'm flying f15... :-D

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 11:24 PM   #10
SinusoidDelta

Reputation power: 9
SinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really niceSinusoidDelta is just really nice

Still, 8000m isn’t really “high”. Think more like 11,000m
SinusoidDelta is offline   Reply With Quote