Unable to fly straight & level - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
stratman59

Reputation power: 1
stratman59 is on a distinguished road
Default Unable to fly straight & level

I'm constantly having to make rudder and aileron trim adjustments, If I'm flying at a constant speed and with no wind surely once trimmed it should fly straight and level?
I'm using a Warthog and pedals. I have the trims set to the trim switch on the stick.
Also after takeoff, I'm having to do manic trim adjustments, watching Wags's takeoff instruction video, he doesn't appear to do any? Even if I try going into 'instant action' level flight I still constantly have to be adjusting.
stratman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Art-J

Reputation power: 17
Art-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really niceArt-J is just really nice

With no aileron trim on this plane, it will never be trimmable for hands off flight, it will always roll a bit.

Oversensitive rudder trim (only when assigned to buttons or keyboard, apparently it's better when assigned to analog rotary switch) doesn't help either, though you can learn to somehow manage it by tapping the switch/key rather than pressing it. Undersensitive elevator trim is good for the job though, you just have to wait a bit longer for the speed to stabilize.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Magic Zach

Magic Zach will become famous soon enoughMagic Zach will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Spitfire.
Basically, set your curves, and do things by the book until you have mastered control, then get creative. That's my shortest possible answer...

Last edited by Magic Zach; 10-21-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #4
stratman59

stratman59 is on a distinguished road

Ah, O.K, so basically it's meant to be like that? If that's the case then fine, I was just worried I was missing something. Thanks
stratman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:59 PM   #5
Captain Orso

Reputation power: 6
Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

Well, it's not a question of it being 'meant to be like that'; it's just the way it is.

It's like driving on the freeway. Even on an absolutely straight stretch of road you are alway making tiny adjustments to stay in the center of your lane. With flying, it's the exact same thing.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:01 AM   #6
probad

Reputation power: 9
probad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really nice

while not perfectly so, these aircraft will feel noticeably more stable only when the correct trim is coupled with correct speed and aoa. any mismatch between your rpm-speed-aoa-pitch will create an unstable state, and trying to trim without first settling on the proper cruise state can find you with a faulty trim setting that will seem correct at first but will have undesirable roll.
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #7
BuzZoo

Reputation power: 0
BuzZoo is on a distinguished road

A little bit of right rudder trim helps with the Spitfire constantly wanting to corkscrew left. Though I imagine it makes the plane a bit draggier? I don't really notice myself.
BuzZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Magic Zach

Magic Zach will become famous soon enoughMagic Zach will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
while not perfectly so, these aircraft will feel noticeably more stable only when the correct trim is coupled with correct speed and aoa. any mismatch between your rpm-speed-aoa-pitch will create an unstable state, and trying to trim without first settling on the proper cruise state can find you with a faulty trim setting that will seem correct at first but will have undesirable roll.
I'll help out some people passing through and translate: In short, set engine and speed first, trim later.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
fiddlinjim

fiddlinjim is on a distinguished road

Spitfire pilots during WWII mention repeatedly in their memoirs that the Spit needed to be retrimmed after any change in RPM-prop pitch-altitude etc.
Advice to set up the engine and then trim is the only answer.
fiddlinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Holbeach

Reputation power: 10
Holbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really niceHolbeach is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlinjim View Post
Spitfire pilots during WWII mention repeatedly in their memoirs that the Spit needed to be retrimmed after any change in RPM-prop pitch-altitude etc.
This applies to pretty much all prop aircraft.

"Infamy! Infamy! They've all got it in for me!"
(Kenneth Williams 1964).

Holbeach is online now   Reply With Quote