Warthog HOTAS keybinds - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #21
Sokol1_br

Reputation power: 29
Sokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of lightSokol1_br is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
. You can setup a "Switch" in your key bindings... defined as the 'Master Mode Control Button'
I use that "switch" (a kind of mode selector) through keyboard ScrLk key - due the LED indicating the changing in status - but instead "workarounds" with axis lever, just use joy trigger "lever", find more "British".

And control taxi speed more with throttle/RPM instead wheel brakes, use this only for turns and full stop.
Sokol1_br is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #22
BuzzU

Reputation power: 17
BuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura aboutBuzzU has a spectacular aura about

Capt........That seems like a good idea, but wouldn't using the pinky lever on the stick be better than the grey button?

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."

"Life is hard, but it's a lot harder when you're stupid." John Wayne
BuzzU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #23
The Integrator

Reputation power: 0
The Integrator is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
Short of building a brake lever to mount on your joystick, there is still a different option, at least for throttle sets with two throttle levers. You can setup a "Switch" in your key bindings, the same a you set up your modifiers, except on the right side of the modifiers window, instead of the left.

A switch, which does not necessarily have to have anything to do with a physical switch on one of your HOTAS sets, is like having a modifier that you turn on or off like a ... well switch .

I added a switch defined as the 'Master Mode Control Button' (on the TM HOTAS Joystick, the gray button on the upper right-hand side), naming it 'Finger Button', or something --the name doesn't really matter. Then I bound the the Brake Lever to my TM HOTAS Throttle's left throttle lever, which unmodified is my RPM setting, using the 'Finger Button' as a modifier.

Without pressing the 'Finger Button' the left throttle lever controls the RPM setting and the right the boost. But if I toggle the 'Finger Button' on, the TM HOTAS Throttle's left throttle becomes the Brake Lever, until I toggle the 'Finger Button' again, which then reverts the left throttle to RPM again.

Since on the ground before taking off, your RPM setting is always full forward --3000 RPM-- you actually don't need the RPM lever again --once set to 3000 RPM-- until after takeoff. So once RPM is set to full forward, I toggle the 'Finger Button' and now I have on my throttle quadrant brakes on the left lever and boost on the right lever.

It takes some getting used to, but it allows you to use the brakes in the Spitfire they way they were meant to be used, with very exact dosage.

Just before take-off, left throttle lever --brakes now-- is back all the way to applying no brakes at all. After take-off I toggle the 'Finger Button' to switch the left throttle back to RPM and quickly push it all the way forward to 3000 RPM, so that I don't experience a power drop-off, and then adjust accordingly from there. Now everything is back to 'normal'.

Since when I'm landing, once I've reduced boost to a minimum, I always push the RPM lever all the way forward to 3000 RPM, just in case I need to do a go-around, --RPM's will not actually change, because the lack of engine boost will simply not be able to increase the RPM's-- I again have the left throttle free for using as the brake lever. BUT I have to be very careful to remember, that with the left throttle working as the brake lever, and it being all the way forward --brakes on full-- once pressing the Finger Button on my landing approach, I have to pull the lit all the way back to no-braking before touching down, or else ... interesting things happen

So once I've touched down, I again have brakes left and boost right and I'm ready to roll out and taxi.

Many find this setup too complicated, but everybody's MMV .
That seems like a good idea I think I will adopt it
Old 10-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #24
Captain Orso

Reputation power: 6
Captain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the roughCaptain Orso is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
I use that "switch" (a kind of mode selector) through keyboard ScrLk key - due the LED indicating the changing in status - but instead "workarounds" with axis lever, just use joy trigger "lever", find more "British".

And control taxi speed more with throttle/RPM instead wheel brakes, use this only for turns and full stop.
Since I'm using VR, LED's on my keyboard are not useful Anyway, it's mostly a question of routine.

Does the joystick trigger work like an axis? I believe it is simply a two stage button, so there is no fidelity. With the throttle lever you have absolute control over how much brake pressure you are using, which allows you to turn curves quite abally.

I always have RPM at full on the ground, which is what is recommended I believe. So while on the ground, the RPM lever is superfluous and free to be put to better use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
Capt........That seems like a good idea, but wouldn't using the pinky lever on the stick be better than the grey button?
I've had my HOTAS setup for the P-51D for a couple of years, and simply transferred the most of it to the Spitfire. When I started I was using TrackIR and the 'Finger Button' was my re-centering button. Since I don't use it anymore, it was free to be used as a switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Integrator View Post
That seems like a good idea I think I will adopt it
Try it out and see how it works for you. It does take some getting used to, controlling boost and brakes with one hand, and if you don't already, you might need to mount your throttle quadrant so that it can't slide while pushing both levers simultaneously.

A real bicycle brake lever attached to the joystick would really be optimal, but I'm not a terribly talented builder of such things. Besides, I'm lazy AF

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote