Left handed stick recomendation please - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 03:38 AM   #51
Kirk66

Reputation power: 3
Kirk66 has a spectacular aura aboutKirk66 has a spectacular aura aboutKirk66 has a spectacular aura aboutKirk66 has a spectacular aura aboutKirk66 has a spectacular aura about

Most civilian airplanes use wheels or yokes, and the pilot flies with his left hand, right hand on the throttle(s). Co-pilots fly with their right hands on the yoke/wheel, left on the throttles. Cessna, Airbus, Boeing, Piper; you learn to fly with either hand - no big deal.

Most military jets and helicopters use a stick and you fly with the right hand, using the left on the throttle/collective.

B-29s had the reverse, throttles were outboard, so pilot had right hand on wheel, left on throttles; co-pilot reverse.

Many smaller side-by-side lightplanes have sticks and a central throttle, so again pilot in left seat has left hand on stick and right on throttle, pilot on right the reverse

Personally, IRL when I fly a plane with a wheel, I prefer to use my left hand on the wheel and control the throttle with my right hand. Planes and gliders with a stick, I much prefer stick in right hand and throttle/air brakes in the left.

So - no big deal. Real pilot do it from day one, and no-one thinks about it. Try a wheel instead of a stick if you are a serious lefty - with a throttle quadrant on the right. But it will look odd in a jet fighter or helo! And if DCS ever gets a P-38, the wheel is held in the right hand and the throttles are on the left!

Vulture
Kirk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:58 AM   #52
VZ_342

Reputation power: 1
VZ_342 is on a distinguished road

Lefty here, I fly righty like the F-16 (stick on the right side, not in the center). Never had a problem.

Yes it probably did feel awkward at first, but that didn't last very long. The good part is that I can keyboard with my left hand easier than right-handed people can, and without letting go of the stick!
VZ_342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #53
LuseKofte

Reputation power: 0
LuseKofte is on a distinguished road

https://virpil.by/en/shop/sticks/vpc...ck-106-142-vpc

There is lefthand stick on marked
LuseKofte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 AM   #54
=4c=Nikola

Reputation power: 14
=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBaztard View Post
This joy is optional.. you can switch it to right or left hand.. apologies if already mentioned.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/pr...000m-fcs-hotas
That joystick has really nice mechanism, but it has only 4 buttons so badly designed and manufactured you cannot even distinguish whether you pressed it or not. It doesn't have tactile feedback. It's useless for DCS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cichlidfan View Post
If someone is truly interested in flying then they should bite the bullet and learn to fly with their right hand. Military combat aircraft don't come with left hand sticks.
I'm not flying military combat aircraft. I'm sitting in my room and playing a video game. If someone is truly interested in flying then they should go to flight school.

I use X-52 pro for 1 year and I still cannot fully adapt. And when I use joy with right hand I cannot use mouse to click on buttons and switches in cockpit.

I'm going to monitor reviews for that virpil.
=4c=Nikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #55
DeepDrummer

Reputation power: 2
DeepDrummer will become famous soon enoughDeepDrummer will become famous soon enough

Side sticks are becoming quite common in newer "civilian" aircraft for the record. Put your right hand in your pocket for a week. One adapts very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb4ngIpY7JA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAU2B97fs5o
Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 16 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, BENQ XL2720Z monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA GTX 980 4 gig video. TM Hotas Wartog. MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.
DeepDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #56
=4c=Nikola

Reputation power: 14
=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice=4c=Nikola is just really nice

@DeepDrummer:

It doesn't matter. Even with yoke captain uses left hand to fly and first officer uses right hand to fly.

Flying civilian aircraft is very different than flying fighter jet, and additionally, flying a simulation is much different than flying a real fighter jet.

Last edited by =4c=Nikola; 10-14-2017 at 06:59 PM.
=4c=Nikola is offline   Reply With Quote