F/A-18C Data Link ?

Shadow KT

Yes, and more to my point (I need to state that the discussion is purely academic in what comes to the DCS product most likely!), is that the Link 16 apparently was in many ways inferior to some datalink(s) it actually replaced, except in what comes to compatibility. There were other, non-US/NATO solutions that were in some areas, reportedly of noticeably higher performance. Details of course remain mostly classified, and these systems were not, to my understanding, exported much at all, so I'd expect them to remain relatively little-known area of telecommunications in technical terms up until they maybe are disclosed in a decade or so on.

What comes to the airframe, the F/A-18 is somewhat underrated, IMO. It is a brilliant design in many aspects, almost as easy as a big GA airplane to handle on ground, carries a huge span of weapon and sensors systems, and reportedly flies beautifully in the air, especially if one likes high alphas. The fixed inlet design somewhat restricted the high Mach number performance, and it has some relationships to the centerline stores config, but my understanding from the data of it is that at the usual airspeeds, it is a nimble, powerful, point-and-shoot kind of a jet, not any shy of MiG-29 or Su-27, and with sensible A2A loadouts for close engagement, not loosing too much in vertical neither.

i was talking from relative of todays 4.5 and 5th generation platforms currently in service, that is its no longer anything special. Hence the statement " anymore"

Yes No argument that when the F/A18A & C entered service it was a very high tech especially at their respective service dates, and have like any platforms been upgraded systems in attempt to keep relevant with the times.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

As long as my flight is visible on the MFD with heading/alt and so are the bandits spotted by my flight with the same format I'll be happy. Anything on top of this will be just luxury.

Screw JHMCS and XRAY, being able to see exactly where your friendlies are and the bandits they spotted too even if extending will be far more powerful than anything else you can strap on a plane.

As long as my flight is visible on the MFD with heading/alt and so are the bandits spotted by my flight with the same format I'll be happy. Anything on top of this will be just luxury.

Screw JHMCS and XRAY, being able to see exactly where your friendlies are and the bandits they spotted too even if extending will be far more powerful than anything else you can strap on a plane.

+1

And if we could slave the ATFLIR to a datalink contact, that would be mean!

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

• 1 year later...

A question about the use of datalink on the sim : are we supposed to select/configure some options on the mission editor to fully use the datalink or the configuration must be done on the aircraft ?

Thanks,

Vincent

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

Everyone complying with NATO standards can use L16. I don't know any modern western aircraft that doesn't support L16.

I know a lot of F-16 guys that don't have it in their guard units, just SADL only, which requires a gateway in the area for them to "talk" to link16. Same with F-22s, they can't send info to link16. F-35s can.

For the rest of the thread, like it's been mentioned before, link16 is going to be a game changer for air to air. You'll now be able to fight a full air to air engagement without any comms if you set targeting contracts and tactics beforehand.