Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

vor 16 Stunden schrieb =475FG= Dawger:

We (Dobs and I) gave it a shot. As I suspected, we have decided we won't be flying this mission. Not really interested in dodging face shooters with nothing but crap Aim-9P's on the F-5's.

Maybe with Aim-9P5's to give the Mig something to think about but would rather not have any face shooters of any kind.

Just not interested.

I know that is very limiting with all of the new Cold War birds coming out etc.

Cheers!

I’m sure this was discussed many times but just don’t fly straight into it. The R3R goes stupid when the enemy pilot sneezes

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, reichenwald said:

I’m sure this was discussed many times but just don’t fly straight into it. The R3R goes stupid when the enemy pilot sneezes

When I was hit by it I was pulling 8.5 G and chaffing, so its not that stupid. I would have barrel rolled to avoid it but that now rips the wings off the F-5.

Its the combination of clouds and radar missiles for one side only that I find particularly annoying. 

However, it is what it is.

If we fly that mission we will just fly around at 50 feet. 

Edited by =475FG= Dawger
  • Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Server News:

One of the problems we've always had with AI ground units is that they're bloody good snipers when many of them shouldn't be. I'm talking mainly about APC's and AAA emplacements that use neither laser nor radar for tracking and firing accurately, yet they're over performing and fire very accurately and quickly! And even if it's something like the Shilka or the Vulcan, their reaction time is perfect and they instantly point their guns towards any aerial threat of any kind at any altitude and speed and regardless of any weather conditions. The bottom line is, they make strike missions when using unguided bombs and rockets nigh impossible. Therefore, and probably for the first time on the server, I just changed that setup in the new mission, Into The Desert, to see how things play out.

Bear in mind that you can set the AI ground unit's skill at 4 different levels: Average - Good - High - Excellent. All AI ground units in all of my missions have always been set to excellent for all the different and quite often justified reasons over the years.

Operation Into The Desert:
- Strela-9's and Chaparrals remain excellent.
- Shilkas and Vulcans are set to High.
- M-113's, AAA emplacements, and AAA Ural trucks are set to good.
- T-55's and M60's are set to good.
- SA-6's and Hawks at the airbases (spawn/main airbases) are set to Excellent to keep intruders away.
- R-3R's were removed.
- Instead, RS2US missiles were added (worse range, speed, maneuverability, and tracking).

* The mission goes online tonight around 1900 zulu

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Maybe there's some Tacview desync going on, but it registered as a 4.8G pull on my end. In any case, the R-3R is pretty easily defeated by either a tighter pull, or pretty much a simple barrel roll (this is usually what people do to avoid them and works 100% of the time - literally).

Seal and Hiro tested barrel rolling as a means to avoid them (I was watching them do it). No wing breakages. It is very much still an option.

The problem was flying into a pair of MiG-21s at 10km, who were no factor in the mission going on below the overcast and could have been safely ignored. If you hadn't turned into me, the missile would have missed, as R-3Rs cannot cope with more than about 15-20 degrees of offset. If you'd rolled or pulled tighter, it would've missed. Despite the issues with 21s not giving lock warnings, they do give search warnings and they also give launch warnings, and given every other mission on the server except the 'early' ones with R-55/AIM-9B only also have the R-3R, you have to assume that any 21 could be carrying them and so it's dangerous to approach them directly without some kind of proactive defence.

Tacview-20211113-063301-DCS-Into The Desert.zip.acmi

Edited by rossmum
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, LoneS said:

Hype: Hype: Hype:

A few inaccurate claims on how and who got involved as far as I know and have read, but let's not get into it.

Apart from that, it's a nice video focusing on details regarding the aircraft involved and their missiles. Told ya! They all fly low and intercept each other and that's how we do it on my server 😉

The MiG-23 and the F-1 will be e a nice treat for the missions!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

I played the L-39 from the road farp tonight on the lakes mission and had a blast. The addition of the limited R-60ms gives it an ok chance of defending itself and netted me 3 kills over 2 sorties in the same plane. The bomb drops on the towers were great too as they're hard to miss. The landing under the powerlines on the narrow road made for tense returns but somehow I managed it. Thanks for creating the experience Alpenwolf!

The road farps are a really fun dynamic for these trainer aircraft and I would love to see some on other maps too. I know the C-101 needs a lot of runway but it would be cool to see it starting closer to the action from some persian gulf highways. It takes a long time to get to the front and usually gets slapped pretty quickly by a zsu. (though I worry that f-5s might land to help themselves to a quick rearm)

Also I was playing the next mission (the one with 4 ewr each in PG) and it seemed like the compass was out by 100 or so degrees in my su-25. Someone was having the same issue in a mig (cant remember if it was a 15 or 21). Another friend in the hind said his compass was working fine. No idea how this happens lol

Edited by Madpie
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Madpie said:

I played the L-39 from the road farp tonight on the lakes mission and had a blast. The addition of the limited R-60ms gives it an ok chance of defending itself and netted me 3 kills over 2 sorties in the same plane. The bomb drops on the towers were great too as they're hard to miss. The landing under the powerlines on the narrow road made for tense returns but somehow I managed it. Thanks for creating the experience Alpenwolf!

The road farps are a really fun dynamic for these trainer aircraft and I would love to see some on other maps too. I know the C-101 needs a lot of runway but it would be cool to see it starting closer to the action from some persian gulf highways. It takes a long time to get to the front and usually gets slapped pretty quickly by a zsu. (though I worry that f-5s might land to help themselves to a quick rearm)

Also I was playing the next mission (the one with 4 ewr each in PG) and it seemed like the compass was out by 100 or so degrees in my su-25. Someone was having the same issue in a mig (cant remember if it was a 15 or 21). Another friend in the hind said his compass was working fine. No idea how this happens lol

Always a pleasure to see more L-39 and C-101 players on the server. Glad you're having fun. I'm working on adding more road bases to some missions, don't worry.

Once your electric systems are on in the Su-25 or Su-25T, wait 2-3 minutes before you start up your engines. That's the time needed for aligning the compass.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Yesterday I had issues of Pete not locking up air targets that are clearly visible and close (in Prince of Persia).

Is maybe Pete lock air targets off in editor on some missions for Mi-24?

Edited by Apok

2 hours ago, Apok said:

Yesterday I had issues of Pete not locking up air targets that are clearly visible and close (in Prince of Persia).

Is maybe Pete lock air targets off in editor on some missions for Mi-24?

No, he's enabled, and I've never had any problems with him not locking anything. However, he's a bad shooter sometimes. Took me 3 missiles to kill one Vulcan the other day.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Hold The Line:
- Added a road base for L-39's.
- Added a road base for C-101's.
- Both road bases are marked on the F10 map, but only for their coalitions.
- All types of aircraft can land there for rearming, refueling, and repairing purposes.
- If a player wants to spawn at the road base, just quickly check out the F10 map via JTAC to avoid spawning on top of a friendly aircraft that might be rearming there.

* More road bases will be added to other missions

Note:
Always make sure you approach the road base from the more appropriate direction to be able to take off again. There aren't side roads or junctions everywhere to help you turn around, so plan your landing at a road base carefully. In the case of the mission Hold The Line, the two road bases are placed in the middle of a ca. 3 km (ca. 1.9 miles) long road, so landing from either direction should be fine.

Untitled.png

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 hours ago, Ian Boys UK said:

I almost feel bad for you 🙂
Pity Merlin drove in a killed them, it was a nice spot.

The RPG's damaged the Abrams heavily. I finished him off with S-24 rockets in the MiG-21 before he could make it to our FARP 😉

• Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

19 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

Server News:

Operation Hold The Line:
- Added a road base for L-39's.
- Added a road base for C-101's.
- Both road bases are marked on the F10 map, but only for their coalitions.
- All types of aircraft can land there for rearming, refueling, and repairing purposes.
- If a player wants to spawn at the road base, just quickly check out the F10 map via JTAC to avoid spawning on top of a friendly aircraft that might be rearming there.

* More road bases will be added to other missions

Note:
Always make sure you approach the road base from the more appropriate direction to be able to take off again. There aren't side roads or junctions everywhere to help you turn around, so plan your landing at a road base carefully. In the case of the mission Hold The Line, the two road bases are placed in the middle of a ca. 3 km (ca. 1.9 miles) long road, so landing from either direction should be fine.

Untitled.png

Beautiful 😄 More roadbases is more good!

• Like 1

Server News:

Operation Swedish Delivery:
- Instead of 4 x B-52's, it's now 8. Still, AJS37's need to destroy the 4 x SAM SA-2 radars first for the B-52's to strike Maykop Airbase.
- The Blue road base (C-101 road base) has been cleared of light poles and electric wires.
- Su-25's are now able to carry R-60M's for a better self-defence.

* Expect more B-52's in other missions.

• Like 3

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Into The Desert:
- Added a road base for L-39's. Marked only for Red on the F10 map.
- Added a road base for C-101's. Marked only for Blue on the F10 map.
- Aircraft of all types can always land there for rearming, refueling, and repairing purposes.
- The road bases are placed in the middle of long straight roads, so you can land from either side and take off from the other.
- Frequencies for each road base are in the briefing, and also displayed on the F10 map once you click on the orange circle marking its location.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

59 minutes ago, Apok said:

S25 rockets removed?

I'll have to add them because they're new.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

Operation Fishbed vs Tiger kicks off on Saturday, 20.11.2021, around 1900 zulu.
Signups are not needed, just be there.
Instead of 200 Fishbeds vs 200 Tigers, it's now 100 on each side.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

1 hour ago, Apok said:

S25O`s are bit OP dmg wise. They are even worse then 24 and Grom. You can kill APCs indirectly from 20m. Troops in 100m area.

Also >

r/hoggit - Anyone tried the new S-25O...?

Thanks for testing. I wont add them then, unless they're available by default in some missions.

Any results against Abrams? Especially indirect hits?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments