[NO BUG - AS INTENDED] Engine Spool time and responsiveness - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-17-2020, 03:25 AM   #11
Shrike88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakarian View Post
Just stumbled on an interesting video on YT. Here, from idle to max RPM it took him about 6.5 seconds, and nearly the same from max to idle (no HUD or engine page showing, so I was going by the amount of whine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_cJwT6qgV0
Sounds awesome wish ours sounded like that inside the cockpit
Sounds like your close on the numbers as well and still shorter accel and decel from what we currently have in the sim

Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #12
RAZBAM_ELMO
RAZBAM Community Manager

Just letting you guys know I'm going through stuff and having a look at things. This might not be a #1 priority for th team but know that I am looking into EVERy issue reported.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #13
Vakarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike88 View Post
Sounds awesome wish ours sounded like that inside the cockpit
Sounds like your close on the numbers as well and still shorter accel and decel from what we currently have in the sim

Thanks for sharing.

Oh yeah, these sounds.... I wouldn't mind in just ripping the sound from this video and jamming it in the sim. Really sounds awesome.

Also, If I saw correctly it has 408 engine, same as we have in the sim so it is a relevant video in showing the engine performance and also, some HUD things. Mainly, I noticed that there's a "W" flashing when he goes over 100% RPM, but I'm not sure if that means no water intake is enabled or that it is enabled (W lighting up on the engine panel is not shown clearly)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #14
Cornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZBAM_ELMO View Post
Just letting you guys know I'm going through stuff and having a look at things. This might not be a #1 priority for th team but know that I am looking into EVERy issue reported.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #15
vstolmech513

Default Engine Performance

In regards to the acceleration times, I have been testing them and they are pretty spot on, at least in the lower end RPM ranges. The limits are 35%-60% in 2.4 - 3.1 seconds. I have tested this several times in different maps and they are usually anywhere from 2.7-2.9 seconds. It's not a one value place holder as I suspected, where it is always the same value, so that's a good simulation. I have checked manually and the values I get on a manual timer are about as close to what we see in the jet, so it's fairly accurate.

The higher end RPM acceleration check (60%-105%) is not modeled as accurately, in that you can get a value even if you don't get up to 105%. There should never be a value if the RPM never reaches the upper number. You should be able to do a lower end acceleration check from 35-60%, pause and bring the throttle below 60% and then do an upper end acceleration check from 60-105%, but as soon as you go over 60%, whenever you bring it back below 60% it fills out the acceleration time it was above 60%.

All times from 60%-105% that I have gotten when I went full power and back to idle after going above 105% are within limits, fastest is 2.2 secs and slowest I've seen is 2.4 secs. It's been a hot minute since I did a high power but I believe the limits are 2.1-2.8, but that is a guess. The times from idle to 35% and anything above 105% is not timed and does not matter. Currently I'm seeing anywhere from 7.9 to 8.2 secs from idle to full 113.5%. I did not test the full wet datum, idle to 120% because it is still not modeled correctly due to misunderstanding non-dimensional RPM limits below 10,000 feet and limiting it to 116.8%.

There are several warnings in the NATOPS that warn full power could take up to 8 seconds to reach, depending on atmospheric conditions and initial throttle position. The way it is now, seems more accurate to me TBH and comparable to what it is IRL. The sound is horrible when coming back down and the engine noise is a lot more muted in the cockpit IRL, but the performance and timing seem to be modeled fairly well.

All acceleration checks are done with water off and nozzles at 0* to ensure that there is no bleed air coming off the engine. Nozzle deflection should cause slower times since when they are below 0* they are bleeding 8th stage air from the HP compressor, which in turn would cause a longer acceleration time. You can put the nozzles to any angle and will get the exact same acceleration times.

Last edited by vstolmech513; 09-18-2020 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Updated wet datum checks
Old 09-29-2020, 04:35 AM   #16
RAZBAM_ELMO
RAZBAM Community Manager

Confirmed values are as intended. SME confirms.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Tags
engine spool, engine time, power setting, spool time