Help with ground target spotting in VR please

jasonstory44

Looking for suggestions. Can any of you guys see ground targets through the HUD in VR?

I'm flying in VR with the Oculus. I've read all the threads on model enlargement and resolution and know its an issue being worked on by ED.

I've finally sorted out the spotting with planes but I can't see the ground targets at all (even with labels-which show roughly where target is but can't be used for targeting).

I've dropped PD to 1.0, tried MSAA off and on...nothing helps.

I can barely spot the target out the side of the canopy (clear glass) but as soon as I roll in on my run the target vanishes in the tint of the HUD...there's no contrast at all with the terrain.

Is there a way to turn the HUD tint off? Any suggestions on how you guys remedy and deal with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jason

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

There is a great mod that removes the HUD tint, I use it myself.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212409&highlight=Tint

I feel your pain about ground targets, especially in low light missions. This helps a lot.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Thank you sandman

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules

I appreciate and thank you for this mod.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I personally sold my Rift due to not being able to spot anything on the ground or in the air, hopefully the next generation of HMDs will improve the resolution

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

For VR and monitor sometimes I use my own label for now.

If anyone wants to have a try or modify their own for single player. I made a few posts in this thread on how.

1) First post how to install and modify a label.

2) 2nd post has a label attached for VR, have a play with it and make it as easy or hard as you like.

It just creates a bit more of a black blob for VR LOL, cannot wait for a bit more res in the next gen VR hopefully.

Easier to see when in VR, remember to turn on labels under the game options once installing this label

attachment.php?attachmentid=190625&stc=1&d=1532428628

VRlabel.thumb.png.0ea65ab3bdefffba952bb91c82f31773.png

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I suggest turning gamma setting up. Helped me spot ground targets turning gamma to 2.2.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I personally sold my Rift due to not being able to spot anything on the ground or in the air, hopefully the next generation of HMDs will improve the resolution

Yep, it’s a bit too realistic for gamer types. Don’t expect to spot much in the A10 without proper use of the targeting pod and binoculars (VR zoom) just like for real. The real fix is to get good.

Nothing realistic about the spotting and ID distances in DCS with conventional monitors, much less the degraded lo-res experience in VR. Whether you read historical combat accounts or simply observe what is possible while flying in an airliner. Real-world lighting and shading combined with the human eye's resolution and color range, and the human brain's processing power permits much better capability than is possible in DCS without icons cheats. I almost never fly with icons enabled, but the already poor visibility in DCS is so bad in VR, that I am really tempted many times... but icons look horrible in VR, too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]