Flight Model modification question - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-15-2018, 03:01 AM   #31
bbrz

But why is it that there's not torque effect at all (if the AoA stays close to zero) in a vertical climb? At 0kts or 20kts torque effect should be very noticable.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:31 AM   #32
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
But why do I bother...
You probably shouldn't. Because his haughty demeanour, his constant reminding of how he's been developing these things for another sim himself, and his complete ignorance of any helpful advice and contrary opinions given, kind of tells me he's got an agenda rather than any genuine interest in the sim.

None of which means, BTW, that the flight modelling shouldn't be questioned at all. Of course it should, if (and when) any questions arise. But his claiming of the P-51 having no torque at all is just BS regardless and betrays his probable real purpose of being here, which is sowing discord and doubt in the product in order to help an unnamed competitor.

So in other words, we've got a troll in our midst.

Last edited by msalama; 07-15-2018 at 04:41 AM.
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:35 AM   #33
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
At 0kts or 20kts torque effect should be very noticable.
You're right, it should. Is there none then? Since I've got to admit that I've never checked / paid attention to this myself.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #34
bbrz

I never tested until I came across this thread. If there a basic bug in the torque simulation this would make aerobatic planes like the Yak-52 much less realistic.

I have the impression that torque in the TF-51 depends a lot on AoA, but again, that's difficult to judge and I usually don't fly the TF-51.

I'm only testing because I'm interested in the Yak-52
Old 07-15-2018, 02:16 PM   #35
Art-J+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
But why is it that there's not torque effect at all (if the AoA stays close to zero) in a vertical climb? At 0kts or 20kts torque effect should be very noticable.
If that's the case, then no disagreement from me on that part! Whether it's a question of torque or airflow modelling, it should be investigated closer indeed. I admit I only tinkered with level flight tests, as it's easier to maintain constant flight parameters then. I couldn't reliably perform a straight vertical climb or a proper hammerhead if my life depended on it .

Questioning and searching for things in FM to improve is always a good thing, I just find it peculiar when the guy tries to teach us what a moment is (as if it wasn't taught on basic physics lessons in high schools already), while even running the engine of a DCS prop plane, stationary on the apron, shows he doesn't know what he's talking about. If all these flight sims he's been battling with for 20 years don't model torque effects to his liking, than maybe, just maybe the problem is located not in the flight sims, but rather somewhere between his chair and a keyboard?

In either case, we know Yo-Yo won't change a thing in a code based only on anecdotal evidence, so we have to come up with something more measurable, or at least in-game replays/videos showing weird behaviour, as in your vertical climb example.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #36
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-J View Post
1. I just find it peculiar when the guy tries to teach us what a moment is (as if it wasn't taught on basic physics lessons in high schools already), while even running the engine of a DCS prop plane, stationary on the apron, shows he doesn't know what he's talking about.

2.In either case, we know Yo-Yo won't change a thing in a code based only on anecdotal evidence, so we have to come up with something more measurable, or at least in-game replays/videos showing weird behaviour, as in your vertical climb example.
1. +1 I was tempted to ask if he was in game mode as his 'explanation' was somewhat...different...until I tried the vertical climb. Btw. It's way easier to accomplish in the external view with the flight path data etc. displayed

2. I know. It took me and other members many posts to convince him that e.g. the flap pitch moment on the F-86 is reversed.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #37
jcomm

Let there be Gliders !!!! No more funky prop effects discussions :-)
jcomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #38
bbrz

Doesn't the L-39 count as a (motor) glider The only really impressive glider I've seen in many years is the SZD 59 Acro.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #39
Yo-Yo
ED Team

All questions about "torque" are answered in the trim diagrams, where rudder, elevator, and aileron positions are plotted vs airspeed. Ailerons input, as one can see, is very small or nil in wide range of IAS. Only at near-stall speed it needs to add more ailerons to almost full rudder.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #40
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
Only at near-stall speed it needs to add more ailerons to almost full rudder.
This doesn't match with the observation that even way below stall speed, down to 0kts there's no aileron needed….