STT info on SMS page?

imacken

Can someone explain some of the STT info on the SMS page?

See attached.

RNG - what is this? It - 13651 - doesn't seem to relate to target range of 7.4 miles.

VC - showing 0. WIP?

Left ALT - showing 0. WIP? What is it supposed to represent?

Right ALT - not consistent with actual target (or my) altitude. Again, what is it supposed to represent?

ASPCT - the left one - 220 - is clearly target to me, but the right one?

I'm assuming mostly WIP, but a description would be really helpful. Can't see anything in the manual.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Nope, I thought about that, but that would be about 11,900. It shows 13,651.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It is the distance in meters. 7.4nm x 1.852 = 13,7km so 13651m seems right. I guess you used the conversion for standard miles, not nautical miles.

The right aspect could be his position relative to the nose of your aircraft, but this is just a guess.

The rest? I don't know.

It is the distance in meters. 7.4nm x 1.852 = 13,7km so 13651m seems right. I guess you used the conversion for standard miles, not nautical miles.

The right aspect could be his position relative to the nose of your aircraft, but this is just a guess.

The rest? I don't know.

It’s heavily WIP. I wouldn’t bother till it’s complete. Meters.....huh????

So, basically ignore most of it then. Can't see the point in putting the feature in, if most of the data is useless. Maybe should hold back on that kind of thing until it is operational.

Edited by imacken

So, basically ignore most of it then. Can't see the point in putting the feature in, if most of the data is useless. Maybe should hold back on that kind of thing until it is operational.

It’s in because it’s the start of a feature in the real thing. I think though it’s supposed to show a static snapshot of information of the last weapon launched. The DDI recorder would then record it to have a record for debriefing.

Unfortunately it was put in half finished and hasn’t been touched since.

It’s in because it’s the start of a feature in the real thing. I think though it’s supposed to show a static snapshot of information of the last weapon launched. The DDI recorder would then record it to have a record for debriefing.

Unfortunately it was put in half finished and hasn’t been touched since.

AFAIK, it is supposed to be target info.

Yeah, target info at the moment of last weapon launched. To validate the shot parameters.

Sorry, but I don't think that is corrrect.

I think I've worked it all out, and it seems to be functioning correctly.

RNG - to bandit in metres (as already suggested)

VC - closing speed (and is working, don't know why it didn't in my original screenshot)

V - bandit speed

Left ALT - altitude difference between my ship and target

Left ASPCT - aspect of bandit to me

Right ALT - barometric altitude of bandit

TAS - MY ship true air speed

Right ASPCT - angle between my velocity vector and bandit. Positive values, I'm pointing above bandit, negative values, I'm below

Roll R/L - my roll rate.

RMAX, RNE and RMIN all working correctly as well.

So, AFAICS, it's all good, except why metres? Maybe that will change.

If I'm committed to a fight I'd rather have a different display dialed in on LDDI. Something like AZ/EL (once implemented) or SA, not bunch of lines of tiny "code" flickering on my screen especially in VR but yea... it might be useful for other purposes.

That’s a separate issue, but I don’t have any problem reading the non-flickering text in VR.

Sorry, but I don't think that is corrrect.

I think I've worked it all out, and it seems to be functioning correctly.

RNG - to bandit in metres (as already suggested)

VC - closing speed (and is working, don't know why it didn't in my original screenshot)

V - bandit speed

Left ALT - altitude difference between my ship and target

Left ASPCT - aspect of bandit to me

Right ALT - barometric altitude of bandit

TAS - MY ship true air speed

Right ASPCT - angle between my velocity vector and bandit. Positive values, I'm pointing above bandit, negative values, I'm below

Roll R/L - my roll rate.

RMAX, RNE and RMIN all working correctly as well.

So, AFAICS, it's all good, except why metres? Maybe that will change.

I'm not disagreeing that you've identified the data fields correctly.

But...my feeling is they should all 'freeze' at moment of weapon launch. This is then recorded by the display recorders, and reset at next weapon launch to show the next 'freeze'.

Have you looked at DATA page for A/G munitions, it's similar.

I'm not even sure if we should get the display at all until a weapon launch.....

There's no value in having real time changing numbers...how on earth would you interpret all that. There are other more useful cockpit indications for all of those.

Wait until it's finished. Whenever that might be......

Why do you think it’s not finished? Have you seen any documentation on this display?

Why do you think it’s not finished? Have you seen any documentation on this display?

Wags sort of confirmed it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4079926&postcount=13

and a general feeling for it. Are you familar with a simlar feature in the A10C HUD/IFFCC Menu. It's there too, but completed.

Scroll down to 'A/G Stores Freeze Data (typical)'

https://forums.vrsimulations.com/support/index.php/Air-To-Ground_Systems

Wags sort of confirmed it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4079926&postcount=13

and a general feeling for it. Are you familar with a simlar feature in the A10C HUD/IFFCC Menu.

Yes, I was on that thread, but a lot of info on there was not correct I feel, certainly in terms of what actually shows on that data block.

You talk (here and on the other thread) about the data being post weapon launch, but I'm not sure I understand why. The data shown here is not relating to the missile, as it appears - and is logical - without even firing a missile. Just on STT lock.

What would be the point of showing static post launch misile data?

As said on the other - 6 month old - thread, it would be nice to get a comment from ED on what this info is supposed to be when finished.

Yes, I was on that thread, but a lot of info on there was not correct I feel, certainly in terms of what actually shows on that data block.

You talk (here and on the other thread) about the data being post weapon launch, but I'm not sure I understand why. The data shown here is not relating to the missile, as it appears - and is logical - without even firing a missile. Just on STT lock.

What would be the point of showing static post launch misile data?

As said on the other - 6 month old - thread, it would be nice to get a comment from ED on what this info is supposed to be when finished.

Yeah again it’s for debriefing purposes. There’s a digital recorder that records the DDI’s. (On older LOTs it was an actual camera on each cockpit sill and VCR that recoded the MFD.)

My guess is the data freeze would be looked at on the post mission video, to match each weapon release with the targets parameters at that moment. From here you could work out whether the shot was valid etc. Same thing with dumb bomb drops etc.

It’s not as if you could realistically use the info in real time in cockpit.

Yeah, some update on these incomplete additions would be welcome.

The underlying code for DCS is all metric. This just means there isn't code to translate the value written in yet.

as someone who lives in a country where metric system is the one in use i can't complain. ;)

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

(On older LOTs it was an actual camera on each cockpit sill and VCR that recoded the MFD.)

Our Hornets have cameras for each DDI, you can see them on the side canopy rails.

My guess is the data freeze would be looked at on the post mission video

I'm not sure why you'd need the data to freeze, the mission recorder I assume marks points where weapons are fired, so there should be a clear indicator of when a missile is launched in the tape. Even if there's not, it'll be pretty obvious looking at the Stores page exactly when a missile was fired and what the data block said at the time.

Not all the info displayed in the Stores data block has easier to read versions somewhere else. It's a good way to get a quick overview of a target's range and orientation relative to you, and real life pilots absolutely utilize things like aspect angle when doing intercepts and BVR.

Our Hornets have cameras for each DDI, you can see them on the side canopy rails.

I'm not sure why you'd need the data to freeze, the mission recorder I assume marks points where weapons are fired, so there should be a clear indicator of when a missile is launched in the tape. Even if there's not, it'll be pretty obvious looking at the Stores page exactly when a missile was fired and what the data block said at the time.

Ok, I was going by memory with the cameras.

Well data freeze is a thing in the A10C and JF-17, I was applying a but of logic. VRS Superbug has a pretty good foundation in Hornet avionics too.

Since we haven’t got proper documentation or a finished feature we’ll have to wait.

Ok, I was going by memory with the cameras.

Well data freeze is a thing in the A10C and JF-17, I was applying a but of logic. VRS Superbug has a pretty good foundation in Hornet avionics too.

Since we haven’t got proper documentation or a finished feature we’ll have to wait.

I'm pretty sure you are correct. The cameras are there to do exactly that: record the DDI. Both AA and AG have that data freeze in stores page.

Stay safe

If you guys are correct, and all that (very useful) data is purely for cameras and post flight analysis, why is it displayed so promininetly for the pilot to see?

If you guys are correct, and all that (very useful) data is purely for cameras and post flight analysis, why is it displayed so promininetly for the pilot to see?

A10 displays it on the HUD, can’t get more prominent than that....

But seriously we’re not 100% sure. Educated guess work.

How do you envision using the data in real time? I can’t remember the last time I wanted to know exact roll rate and range to the nearest foot during a merge.

It’s a relatively minor nerdy feature to argue about at the best of times.