[REPORTED] Infantry blind as bats at night

msalama

Ran a night mission earlier today where I dropped some US troops for a night attack into an insurgent camp. What happened was that said troops ran right into the middle of the camp and the opposing units never saw each other. They just stood side by side doing nothing!

This was in Nevada, 15 March 2017 04:30 AM game time. The weather was cloudy, but the naked-eye visibility was still 10/10. What the hell is wrong with these guys I wonder? Or maybe what the render engine puts out at night isn't exactly WYSIWYG, because I personally could see everything just fine even when the grunts couldn't. What gives?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

this made my day hhhhhahhahaahahaa

I'd say the Nevadese infantry don't eat enough carrots.. :megalol:

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Don't want to use illumination flares since I don't want to announce my presence to the various bogeymen (and ladies) residing in the area (although they should be able to hear my honkin' big and noisy Mi-8 regardless, but never mind that now).

Anyway, what I did was I tinkered around with the darkness_threshold value found in Scripts/AI/Detection.lua. Putting it to zero gave the AI night vision without NVGs so that was a no-go, whereas using the default 0.31 made them completely blind, so I tried the commented-out value of 0.085 found in the script. No good, they were still blind as bats, so I lowered it to 0.05. Better, they at least engaged but still missed each other against a black mountain background. OK, lowered it to 0.03 and left it there, since the eejits now engaged in a somewhat credibly-looking fashion without doing anything too cretinous.

Phew. Hope this fixes it without breaking anything else much.

Edited by msalama

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I understand at night units without optics should not see long distance airplanes, but sure they should see a heli flying 10M from them full lights on and shooting at them.

The night its set at full moon wich gives and amazing night view, this issue makes night missions boring for helicopters

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

Still using the modded values above so I didn't know this problem still exists. Ah well, at least this is reported, so let's just hope the devs fix it eventually...

Do you know if this works in Multiplayer? im doing a mission for my squad, and I want the ground troops to fire.

Maybe if my DCS act as a server..

EDIT

Ok, I just tested it in MP with my machine acting as the HOST with a client connected and the ground troops didnt open fire.

Edited by alfredo_laredo

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Actually, I see they are working on this, I reported fog issues a while back, and they brought up night as well, I posted a new track and stated this isnt working right, so consider this reported.

Any updates on this Nineline? I was testing the Infantry at night (2.5.5 branch), and they are still blind like bats even when I hover right next to them with Nav lights and beacon lights on (Huey).

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The whole of the AI is still as blind as bats at night, even when there's enough light to clearly see what's happening. I just ran an early morning Normandy summer 04.00 AM test mission, and they were completely oblivious to my presence while I was picking them off one by one in my Mustang! ED please, this state of affairs just IS NOT acceptable :(