Shkval slew control with analog axes

Bourrinopathe

Nature of the issue:

Using an analog ministick to control the Shkval slew axes is defective.

There's a noticeable default deadzone and the deadzone increases as the axes curvatures are increased.

The resulting axes response does not provide a sufficient control and accuracy.

Hardware used:

VKB-Sim Gunfighter + MCG Pro, analog ministick, no deadzone.

8408b05c17d5f43134eeb20e8bc0c07c.jpg

Tests:

Axes in the control options:

- Absolute SHKVAL Horizontal Slew

- Absolute SHKVAL Vertical Slew

Increasing the curvature of the axes (tested 40 then 70) (trying to achieve slower and precise response for small movements) progressively increases the default deadzone.

On the following picture the Shkval camera just starts to respond. Note the position of the axe (Rot Z) on the analog stick.

The green dots are the center/neutral positions for the ministick axes.

6a6632515a3a412b66336792748a0915.jpg

Reducing the saturation (Y) for both axes to 20 increases accuracy (less jumpy) and makes the default deadzone less noticeable.

BUT, the max speed for the Shkval axes is greatly reduced.

955ec75cb7f8e6a970b8d130c016e603.jpg

In the current state binding analog axes to the Shkval slew makes it barely usable and, tracking and locking targets is very uncomfortable.

Hopefully this is already fixed for the upcoming Black Shark 3 upgrade.

A fix for the current version would be very welcome.

If anyone has a solution, other than binding multiple controls and hats/buttons/mouse to make more precise movements, please do share your tricks ;)

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Like 2

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

I have spent lots of time to tweak the shkval axis. In SU-25T it is easier than in KA-50.

And I am about same positions as your finding. Heavy reduction in saturation and apply some curves.

But you get good large scale movement, but really lose the fine tune for a tank size targets. Where you start to jump over targets and spend seconds to get gate on target.

That deadzone should go!

The ultra high sensitivity should as well go!

The default should be close to real sleeving behavior!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

This has been bothering me since I got a joystick with analogue TDC cursor 7 or 8 years ago! Funniest thing is some people were calling me crazy, because they couldn't believe how messed up the analogue TDC controls are.

There is a built in deadzone you just can't get rid off. If you make it past the deadzone the minimum axis response is way too much. You just can't make tiny adjustments reliably.

The TGP on A-10, F/A-18 or F-16 on the other hand can be controlled perfectly smooth.

The only "fix" I found was mapping the Shkval TDC to a spare hat switch and tapping it for small adjustments.

This should have been fixed years ago already so please fix it for BS3.

Analog axes really are only usable for large movements with Skhval. Have to use castle switch for small adjustments. Not only because of the deadzone but the Skhval is missing acceleration that the digital control has which is why digital is better in small adjustments. The camera seems to follows the thumbstick with infinite speed. This can be tested with any analog gamepad if not having one on the flight stick.

This should be the most simple of things to fix please ED, that is all.

• Like 1

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

Analog axes really are only usable for large movements with Skhval. Have to use castle switch for small adjustments. Not only because of the deadzone but the Skhval is missing acceleration that the digital control has which is why digital is better in small adjustments. The camera seems to follows the thumbstick with infinite speed. This can be tested with any analog gamepad if not having one on the flight stick.

This should be fixed soon.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

I really hope soon is closer than only two more weeks ;)

That's a serious issue imho.

It impairs the efficiency of the targeting that's crucial near threats (even trying to dispatch targets from a safe distance - it makes things much slower and inaccurate due to the clunky controls). Just as mentioned above by other users.

Now, we have no idea how the real ministick and Shkval behaves but I'm pretty sure it must have a better efficiency.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Yep i agree it needs a tweak and smoothed out.

I use a combo of ch mini joystick then a modifier and hat switch when close, not optimal but works when fine tuning.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I also have this problem. Like many others I am using the ministick for large movements and a separate hat for fine adjustments.

I think the real problem is that the slew rate with the analog stick is the same in terms of degrees per second whether you’re zoomed in or zoomed out. In the A-10 for example, the slew rate is proportionate with zoom level to allow finer adjustments when zoomed in.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz // Nvidia GTX 1080Ti // 32 GB DDR4 RAM // 1 TB SSD

• 2 weeks later...
I also have this problem. Like many others I am using the ministick for large movements and a separate hat for fine adjustments.

I think the real problem is that the slew rate with the analog stick is the same in terms of degrees per second whether you’re zoomed in or zoomed out. In the A-10 for example, the slew rate is proportionate with zoom level to allow finer adjustments when zoomed in.

This is the same in the Gazelle, the more zoom the finer it adjusts.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Also have the same problem with skhval

Куплю модули : СУ-7 , СУ-9 , СУ-11,Миг-23,Миг-27 ,Ту-22М3,Ту-95,Ми-24,AH-64,F-16 ,F-4 Phantom,модуль-карту современной западной Европы

I-7 4790k (4.4GHz), GTX980 4GB , Z97, 16Gb DDR3

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have my settings available but as I recall I have had good luck using "user curve".

It should be fixed for sure though. Not sure what's wrong with it and honestly the post up there saying "this should be the easiest thing in the world to fix" is a tad rude ;).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It's waaaay clunky the way it works now. I also have to use 2 separate controls (ministick and hat) to effectively use the Shkval with any precision AND decent slew rate.

I'll just join the bandwagon and say I want this fixed at least on BS3.