Is there a way to backup my bindings if im going to reformat?

Chaosduck7

Go to %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games (Press Win+E and paste that into the address bar), then make a backup copy of all DCS folders there, like DCS for Stable and DCS.openbeta for OB. That's where all your settings, HOTAS bindings, tracks, user missions, campaign progresses etc are saved.

After reinstalling Windows, just put those folders back there. You can even do this with the DCS installation itself so you wouldn't have to reinstall it at all. Only Starforce protected modules need reactivation then. But AFAIK most if not all modules have been transferred to account based protection already. So nothing to worry about actually.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Go to %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games (Press Win+E and paste that into the address bar), then make a backup copy of all DCS folders there, like DCS for Stable and DCS.openbeta for OB. That's where all your settings, HOTAS bindings, tracks, user missions, campaign progresses etc are saved.

After reinstalling Windows, just put those folders back there. You can even do this with the DCS installation itself so you wouldn't have to reinstall it at all. Only Starforce protected modules need reactivation then. But AFAIK most if not all modules have been transferred to account based protection already. So nothing to worry about actually.

Thanks!

And there shouldnt be an issue with windows reassigning different device ids for my hotas?

And there shouldnt be an issue with windows reassigning different device ids for my hotas?

Yes, DCS will need a new name for the Hotas files, but it isn't hard to fix, see here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4148126&postcount=2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Chaosduck, you can either go for files name changing solution as Rudel posted above, or use in-game "load profile" to load backup files (one by one, for every single controller and every aircraft), so that your new DCS creates files with new USB-ID names.

It's up to you which solution you feel more comfortable with.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Chaosduck, you can either go for files name changing solution as Rudel posted above, or use in-game "load profile" to load backup files (one by one, for every single controller and every aircraft), so that your new DCS creates files with new USB-ID names.

Is there a way to do the back up from DCS>controls that will back up all at once?

Not sure what you mean? If reinstalling DCS on the same Windows, copying and then pasting the whole "Input" folder is as fast and easy as it can get.

It's just using old backup "Input" folder on new Windows or new computer that's going to be more troublesome. These are still a bunch of separate .lua files, which need to have old content in them, but new names. I admit I don't know an automated way of doing it, but maybe someone created some fancy app to do it.

From recent personal experience, though, loading these profiles separately isn't that long, really. That's because DCS remembers folder path you navigate to and accepts mouse double-clicks. I've got 10 modules and it all took me less than 10 minutes maybe.

It's not like you're reinstalling Windows all that often, are you?

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art-J

Is there a way to do the back up from DCS>controls that will back up all at once?

I'm referring to backing up at the source...DCS>settings>controls

We have to back up each column separately for each device, I have many devices I use so it's a lot of individual backing for up if you're doing it for the first time.

Ah, I see, If you want to do it that way, using in-game options screen than yes, that's a lot of clicking. But the point is, you don't have to. Instead, exit the game, go to Saved Games\DCS\Config\ and copy the whole Input folder somewhere safe. The end.

The only inconvenient aspect is making this backup work on new system or new computer, as explained above.