2.5.6 Problem, Fixed with Repair

Dispatch

I did an entirely new, separate install of the Open Beta but had the same issue with missions CTDing from the main menu. It turns out there's VAICOM data in the Users/Saved Games directory as well, which it was seeing despite being a clean install, and after backing up and then deleting the Open Beta folder in Users/Saved Games, it all works fine now.

I've been trying to narrow down exactly what remnant of VAICOM in that directory is causing missions to CTD on loading even with the "10%" issue solved, but removing the folders related to it in subdirectories "scripts" and "mods" and even going into various .lua files to remove invocations of it by hand does not seem to be sucking out whatever the specific poison is. Oh well, that's fine for now. All the data from "Saved Games" backed up so I can just slide it all back in there whenever a hotfix comes out.

Edited by Frogisis

For when it goes wrong: Win10x64, GTX1080, Intel i7 @3.5 GHz, 32GB DDR3, Warthog HOTAS, Saitek combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5 / Vive Pro, a case of Pabst, The Funk

I did an entirely new, separate install of the Open Beta but had the same issue with missions CTDing from the main menu. It turns out there's VAICOM data in the Users/Saved Games directory as well, which it was seeing despite being a clean install, and after backing up and then deleting the Open Beta folder in Users/Saved Games, it all works fine now.

I've been trying to narrow down exactly what remnant of VAICOM in that directory is causing missions to CTD on loading even with the "10%" issue solved, but removing the folders related to it in subdirectories "scripts" and "mods" and even going into various .lua files to remove invocations of it by hand does not seem to be sucking out whatever the specific poison is. Oh well, that's fine for now. All the data from "Saved Games" backed up so I can just slide it all back in there whenever a hotfix comes out.

The files on the saved games should be fine, at least for me I haven't had to touch those files.

Running a DCS repair is the easiest way to get DCS working. But if you look on Vaicom manual under Manually managing DCS side files you can see the files that are changed by Vaicom. I think only one of the actually stops DCS from starting (see my posts on Vaicom thread) but if you don't fix the others you will still get problems trying to using the comms menus the traditional way.

EDIT: Vaicom Updated to 2.5.6 compatibility!

Edited by lxsapper

Best advice is to remove all unofficial mods run a cleanup and repair or verify for steam users.

If you still have problems attach your dcs log and we will take a look.

thanks

OB 2.5.6, no mods.

Tried to start DCS 5-6 times without success, hangs at 1:st black start-screen, have to kill it in Task-manager. Disconnected & reconnected internet & it started 1:st time. Log attached.

dcs.rar

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

• 1 month later...

^ The fastest way? If you chose during DCS installation process to have the relevant links folder in Windows start menu created (Programs -> Eagle Dynamics -> DCS), then one of the links over there will be the "repair" one.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I also have had an issue with 2.5.6 hanging on startup, although I don't use Vaicom.

The workaround I use is - crazy as it sounds - is to click on the desktop a couple of times while DCS is loading. This took me from a 50% success rate of having a successful start to 99%

Hope it helps someone...

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe