Wow! Thank you magnitude

ak22

I have been trying out the free trial planes so far only the F-16 has stood out as purchase option but its a bit bare bones, so i went ahead and purchased the MI-21 bis as my first plane.

I have only played it for about 3 hours i love it already this plane has style! it's beautifully modelled inside and out, the cockpit instantly made me fell like I made the right choice the textures and lighting is great!

I still have no idea what i'm doing at the moment and I feel like the plane is trying to kill me and that i'm strapped to rocket after flying so many flyby wire planes, but its sure fun! ow the roar of the engine sounds are amazing! :pilotfly:

10/10 for immersion and atmosphere so far!

Edited by ak22

... I still have no idea what im doing at the moment ...

Hi,

I learned the MiG mostly with this video series .. the author is Austrian, so it takes a few minutes to get used to his english, but the contents is excellent, worth a watch:

:thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hi,

I learned the MiG mostly with this video series .. the author is Austrian, so it takes a few minutes to get used to his english, but the contents is excellent, worth a watch:

:thumbup:

Thank you watching it now :thumbup:

Yeah I knw it's a really good model. Only lacking is external sound, though it's better now because of Nin's sound mod.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Nice find its a great mod using it atm

Well that's not only a feeling, it's the MiGs mind.

Try to land her, then you know she wants to kill you.:megalol:

Only if you go slow. She's only got one real demand and that's speed. It's really the trouble shooting flowchart of the MiG-21.

My landing gear keeps collapsing! > It means your sink rate is too fast, meaning you aren't producing enough lift, thus you need to GO FASTER

My missiles have questionable ability to connect with targets > You're launching from too slow of a speed, thus you have to GO FASTER, NOW.

I'm not maneuvering that well > You're dragging your tail at a higher AoA than you should, you need to reduce it, and you do that to GO MUCH FASTER YOU NEED TO BE FAST.

My engine flamed out in straight and level flight > You might have busted the engine's speed limitations, so maybe not that fast.

So basically, just go faster. Most of the time.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Only if you go slow. She's only got one real demand and that's speed. It's really the trouble shooting flowchart of the MiG-21.

My landing gear keeps collapsing! > It means your sink rate is too fast, meaning you aren't producing enough lift, thus you need to GO FASTER

My missiles have questionable ability to connect with targets > You're launching from too slow of a speed, thus you have to GO FASTER, NOW.

I'm not maneuvering that well > You're dragging your tail at a higher AoA than you should, you need to reduce it, and you do that to GO MUCH FASTER YOU NEED TO BE FAST.

My engine flamed out in straight and level flight > You might have busted the engine's speed limitations, so maybe not that fast.

So basically, just go faster. Most of the time.

I like your attitude :thumbup: Sums her up pretty well.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Glad to hear you've been enjoying it! I take it my salesman pitch worked, then? :lol:

Watching you play on twitch and my love for the plane in real life made me buy it, I still need to purchase a 4th gen jet so im playing the A-10C free trail more at the moment..... How on earth do you fly the plane so smooth! you make is look so easy.

Just practice, and sometimes less is more when it comes to controls. Most of the time when people complain it's hard to fly, it's because they're over-controlling the aircraft when it doesn't need any input.

This'll do it. When I'm teaching someone how to operate it, over-control is the most common issue. This really is the best advice.

You can't manhandle the Fishbed at critical points in the flight profile. A steady and gentle input is all you need. Even if you have to go around, all you really need to do is hit the throttle and maintain your AoA, you'll climb without additional stick input. The -21 holds no real mysteries, it's a very straight forward aircraft. It's a very honest aircraft.

ak22, as some basic operations tips:

+I don't know if you have any general aviation experience, but the prevailing wisdom is that gear stays down until you're out of runway. That's not applicable here. Once you establish a positive rate of climb after rotation, pull up your gear and remember to recenter the gear handle once it's up. I like to be flaps up around 400KMH indicated. As long as the MiG is fast, she is happy, so you want to clean her up as soon as practicable.

+Never chop the throttle on landing. Even if you're floating, just reduce your throttle a smidge. Never cut it completely until your main gear hit pavement.

+Keep the runway environment just above your nose and when you start passing over the MALSR (the extended runway lighting just before it) or fences, then start gently bringing your nose up.

+Weight makes all the difference. The lighter you are on approach, the easier the landing. Once you're down to 300l or so of fuel? You'll find it the easiest. But, you may be flying on vapors if you have to go around.

+The flap settings may be shorthand for Take Off and Landing, but don't treat that like scripture. At certain gross weights and meteorological conditions, landing with the take off flaps setting is preferable.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Yeah, definitely don't cut throttle on landing. Your blown flaps system stops working below 80% RPM, so stay at or above that until you're just about to touch down - use the airbrake to regulate speed if you're too fast. I aim to be 'over the fence' at 380 and touch down between 280 and 320.

Don't land over 1500L fuel unless you absolutely have to. Be prepared to lose a tyre if you're overweight.

I frequently use T/O flaps because I chronically approach low and fast (a habit I can't seem to kick IRL as well as in sims), same rules as normal. Power on. Takeoff flaps are also a huge boon if you need to turn tightly, get your speed under 600, drop the flaps one stage, and slap the emergency burner on. This works best with a clean aircraft, missiles and racks will cause you to stall out much sooner but if you do this clean, you can turn with or inside most F-5 pilots' ability. Keep your speed up when engaging groups, but if you find a lone opponent, know that you can take things slow and he probably isn't even aware of that.

Mig 21 is currently the only module I own, while waiting for the new WWII modules. I don’t regret buying it. Beautiful plane in real life and well modeled in DCS. This is when fighter jets were still a manly thing, before they turned into flying SAM sites. Love it.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

I can't believe noone's mentioned that the "scripted" (as Hiromachi pointed out this is a misnomer anyway) stall is totally gone in the latest patch too. You can go over 17 degrees of AoA and still generate body lift, though at the expense of immense amount of drag - even struggling to maintain level flight - though as you would expect for a delta. But for example, you can pull the stick all the way back and maintain level flight at a little over 100 knots, just as Have Doughtnut and the pdf in https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=264111 described, and you can even do the classic Egyptian last ditch split-S and not stall into the ground.

The only issues are that roll control and lateral behavior could be off but I think that's already been reported anyway, and a factor of the FM still being tweaked. Overall, I'm beyond satisfied with the FM changes and looking forward to the tweaks in the future. Thanks yet again M3 :thumbup:

Edited by HavaFaza

I can't believe noone's mentioned that the "scripted" (as Hiromachi pointed out this is a misnomer anyway) stall is totally gone in the latest patch too. You can go over 17 degrees of AoA and still generate body lift, though at the expense of immense amount of drag - even struggling to maintain level flight - though as you would expect for a delta. But for example, you can pull the stick all the way back and maintain level flight at a little over 100 knots, just as Have Doughtnut and the pdf in https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=264111 described, and you can even do the classic Egyptian last ditch split-S and not stall into the ground.

The only issues are that roll control and lateral behavior could be off but I think that's already been reported anyway, and a factor of the FM still being tweaked. Overall, I'm beyond satisfied with the FM changes and looking forward to the tweaks in the future. Thanks yet again M3 :thumbup:

Have Doughtnut evaluated a Mig-21F-13 which is almost 1000kg lighter than a bis. It's not a given that stall characteristics and high AoA flight would be the same.

Here is a great interview with Jyrki Laukkanen comparing flying the MiG-21Bis to the MiG-21F-13.

"But it was not as nice to fly. Because it's bulky. And it does not fly as nicely as F model, which was like a silver dart. It also had stabilization system in pitch and yaw,

because it was not as stable in pitch and yaw like the F model.

...better weaponry but same performance. But not so nice to fly.

And the visibility from the cockpit was worse than the F model."

So there are some differences, different weights/distribution, different engines etc.

Have Doughtnut evaluated a Mig-21F-13 which is almost 1000kg lighter than a bis. It's not a given that stall characteristics and high AoA flight would be the same.

Absolutely, but the 21bis also has significantly more thrust even without the second afterburner. With the stick pulled full back I could only maintain level flight with the second burner on, anything less and it'd descend, which while I'm not an expert it makes sense for the increased weight.

It does have more thrust, but it has a lot more weight to keep in the air with the same amount of lift. I guess that in that case, high AoA flight should not behave in the same way, but things like climb rate, sustained turn rate etc could be closer.

edit: also the weight distribution might be slightly different, but I'm not sure what would win out between the bigger radar at the front and the spine at the back.