HOTAS Cougar needs repairs, need help.

Pedro DK Portela

Good evening all, as per title I own a DCS HOTAS Cougar which has given me numerous joy. But now it has a gimble problem (I assume) since it can't stay centered and the sensors sensitivity continue to "wobble" giving me negative input.

Since I'm no tech adept I ask here is someone can help me repair this amazing hardware.

Much obliged in advance to all!:joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JTF-1 480th Warhawks vFS CO

You need to open the joystick, to make sure which part has broken, and then contact Guillemot Support to see if they still have spares available.

I've repaired mine twice, the last time was on late 2014 and the gymbal costed 15 euros plus 10 euros each potentiometer.

Edit: This is a photo of the last time that a gymbal broke on my Cougar, the screws to open up the base are under its rubber foots, it isnt difficult to open up.

pVmHbxr.jpg

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You need to open the joystick, to make sure which part has broken, and then contact Guillemot Support to see if they still have spares available.

I've repaired mine twice, the last time was on late 2014 and the gymbal costed 15 euros plus 10 euros each potentiometer.

Edit: This is a photo of the last time that a gymbal broke on my Cougar, the screws to open up the base are under its rubber foots, it isnt difficult to open up.

pVmHbxr.jpg

Did yours also had that "slack" in the middle to one of the axis?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No slack, it just broke suddenly.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

No slack, it just broke suddenly.

Yeah that I can replace, what's baffling me is what it's behavior is. I'll try and post a vídeo of what it's doing so I can get help in identifing what it's problem is and correct it. If I have to mod it I have zero problema with doing so just need help in finding how to mod it if this will extend it's lifetime.

It's an amazing joystick that's why I asked for help, I still want to use it in the future.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah that I can replace, what's baffling me is what it's behavior is. I'll try and post a vídeo of what it's doing so I can get help in identifing what it's problem is and correct it.

Maybe you have worn potentiometers, I've had to replace mine twice each.

If I have to mod it I have zero problema with doing so just need help in finding how to mod it if this will extend it's lifetime.

I'm really poor at mechanical modding, so I'm happy with just replacing the worn pieces ... tough I'm not sure if Guillemot still has spare parts available.

It's an amazing joystick that's why I asked for help, I still want to use it in the future.

Me too ... I just love its ease of programming, makes it easy to adapt to whichever aircraft I'm using ... its the main reason why I havent replaced it with a warthog ... It's a pity that Thrustmaster didnt keep using Foxy rather than replacing it with the overcomplicated Target programming :(

Cheers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.