* DCS: F-14 Development Update! Scan, Lock, Fire! *

Cobra847

Yeah, but remember that you're flying away from it and that the chaff does have somewhat of a drag that does slowly make them get farther away. The issue is making it stay long enough on your RWR if the idea is to get angles by scanning from the hot metal shards it spews.

Eh, it would slow down to a virtual standstill within a few seconds, but from my understanding, it's actually meant to extend your plane's radar reflection to the point the missile going for the middle will fly past to your tail.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaff launchers statically charge the tinfoil/metallic fibreglass/wire strips as they leave the launcher to repel each other and force them apart into a better reflective 'cloud'.

It disperses as any bunch of light objects thrown from a moving vehicle would.

It 'hangs around' for as long as it takes light tinfoil/metallic fibreglass strips to flutter to the ground. Each piece of chaff doesn't have some 'super nano-flight device' to keep it airborne for any special extended length of time.

It reflects radar energy greatly and very randomly - giving the radar receiver a minor heart attack trying to resolve the returns.

What I would really like to see in DCS is proper electronic warfare aircraft - have flown against such aircraft in training and they can make all sorts of awesome things happen to your radar, from completely losing all functionality to even making it appear as if a multiple-ship formation of fighters is flying straight at you on your radar..pretty scary stuff.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I would really like to see in DCS is proper electronic warfare aircraft - have flown against such aircraft in training and they can make all sorts of awesome things happen to your radar, from completely losing all functionality to even making it appear as if a multiple-ship formation of fighters is flying straight at you on your radar..pretty scary stuff.

Oh man, that's awesome lol.

I would go with the Prowler first, on the spot jamming, usually flies as part of the package and able to dish the dirt to the radar's first.

If I recall the U-2 (TR-1) would be more of a stand off jammer doing lazy 8's alongside the action...but far enough away not to get hit.

Could you imagine being in a TR-1 with missile inbound and probably rather limited self protection, other than to call the AWAC and demand a priority on the F-15's

What about DL at Iranian versions? I mean it exists? :) From DRLO or just other IRIAF F-14?

Су-27 Flanker | Су-30 Flanker-C | Су-33 Flanker-D | Су-34 Fullback | Су-24 Fencer | МиГ-29 Fulcrum | F-14A/B/D Tomcat | F/A-18C/D Hornet | F/A-18E/F Super Hornet | F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-15C Eagle | Eurofighter Typhoon | Tornado IDS | JAS-39 Gripen | AJ/JA(S)-37 Viggen | Rafale | M-2000 Mirage | Mirage F1

Ka-52 Hokum | Mi-28N Havoc | Mi-35M Hind | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | AH-1W SuperCobra

• 2 months later...
In theory yes, but in practice the chaff objects seem to disappear really quickly (within 2 seconds or so). I have not followed up on this further yet, but it's on my radar list. I'm not sure whether they simply cease existing in the engine along with the 3D object manifestation, or whether something else is going on. IRL chaff is supposed to hang around for a very very long time (many minutes or hours, from what I've been told, and even multiple minutes at sea level when launched from a ship), I would have hoped in DCS it would at the very least live for 30 or 60 seconds. The Viggen radar code also shows chaff objects in theory.

Yeah, the chaff can be up even for days if weather conditions are such. And it really spreads around very wide areas, rendering radars unusable for some cases. More noise, more false readings, blocking radars reaching further etc.

It would be so cool to get ED to implement a proper chaff simulation to maps, as it would make every virtual pilot on the servers seriously consider when to chaff and how much.

https://youtu.be/6OjkNyq5asE?t=64

Such modeling would turn the Electronic Warfare to totally different, BVR engagements can be denied, long range search untrustworthy and tracking targets really challenging depending the time and area after chaff releases.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah, the chaff can be up even for days if weather conditions are such. And it really spreads around very wide areas, rendering radars unusable for some cases. More noise, more false readings, blocking radars reaching further etc.

It would be so cool to get ED to implement a proper chaff simulation to maps, as it would make every virtual pilot on the servers seriously consider when to chaff and how much.

https://youtu.be/6OjkNyq5asE?t=64

Such modeling would turn the Electronic Warfare to totally different, BVR engagements can be denied, long range search untrustworthy and tracking targets really challenging depending the time and area after chaff releases.

I think chaff is greatly over-estimated by most virtual pilots. Proper implemetation of electronic warfare in DCS would also mean proper countermeasure rejection protocols and algorithms in the more modern missiles that we fly with. This is data that is probably very hard if not impossible to get so I think it's something that will not be implemented any time soon.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I think chaff is greatly over-estimated by most virtual pilots. Proper implemetation of electronic warfare in DCS would also mean proper countermeasure rejection protocols and algorithms in the more modern missiles that we fly with. This is data that is probably very hard if not impossible to get so I think it's something that will not be implemented any time soon.
Point is that chaff is not something that has a lifetime of couple seconds or minutes even. It is there to ruin radar operators day for long time.

But that doesn't mean chaff is perfect. Far from it. A missile can detect a target and chaff separation and find out which one to reject if not perfectly timed when to release it because separation.

There is a reason why there are chaff in fighters, different kinds in bombers and other huge aircrafts, as why there are ECM systems from self-protection to very complex systems from A-6 Browler kind to big kinds, as specials in helicopters etc.

But chaff is not at all such as it is in DCS right now, as it has been 25 years since first flanker.

It is complex topic, complex system, complex to simulate. Many things are required to go right in every situation when the missile is flying toward fighter, to get chaff effectual or avoided.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

This "ex." needs a lot of clarification to be an answerable question.
I believe it is question that are the tracking gate and the possibility gate, simulated and affecting to accuracy, as possibly to lose a lock?

As well what the computer does when more than one track is merging, crossing or separating?

And then similar things not just with aircraft but as well missile computer etc...

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Will it be possible, for someone to get a guns kill on JESTER, rendering JESTER dead, and unable to work the radar and varies other tasks that a RIO would have while you the player, who is in the pilot seat, are still able to fly the plane?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Will it be possible, for someone to get a guns kill on JESTER, rendering JESTER dead, and unable to work the radar and varies other tasks that a RIO would have while you the player, who is in the pilot seat, are still able to fly the plane?

I beg the developers to NOT do that, as it would be a very cold, horrific and inhuman feature - I don't know if my heart would be able to endure the pain...

Joking aside, if you played Digital Image Design's "Super EF 2000" and ejected over the runway while flying inverted, you would see a big red stain on the asphalt around the pilot's body - kid you not.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I beg the developers to NOT do that, as it would be a very cold, horrific and inhuman feature - I don't know if my heart would be able to endure the pain...

Joking aside, if you played Digital Image Design's "Super EF 2000" and ejected over the runway while flying inverted, you would see a big red stain on the asphalt around the pilot's body - kid you not.

They already do that for the Huey operator and Pilot.

Even if you are flying as the pilot, and get killed by a bullet the game switches you to the operator seat while you can see yourself slumped over.

And it won't let you switch back.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Awesome!

Let's talk a little about the Pilot + Rio double keys licences offered on HB site at 130 dollars.

Who knows how it will work?

Is it planned for using from a lonely PC with two screens, or I could use them from PC and tablet/laptop?

Could I lean my second key to other guy (that he doesn't buy the f14), joining to me as Rio from his home in multiplayer mission or not?

Ciao

Essentially, it's two full module keys - you just earn a discount for buying two simultaneously. And yes, the idea is to gift it your DCS buddy so they can either fly as your RIO or as pilot in another F-14 on your wing.

I don't think you could dual screen from a single PC - for one I don't think control over two separate cockpits is achievable in DCS on a single computer and login.

I would imagine two licenses assigned to one DCS installation is irrelevant.

Furthermore, as an erstwhile RIO trying to login from a laptop or iPad to the same account being used by the pilot? That too AFAIK is impossible.

Essentially, it's two full module keys - you just earn a discount for buying two simultaneously. And yes, the idea is to gift it your DCS buddy so they can either fly as your RIO or as pilot in another F-14 on your wing.

I don't think you could dual screen from a single PC - for one I don't think control over two separate cockpits is achievable in DCS on a single computer and login.

I would imagine two licenses assigned to one DCS installation is irrelevant.

Furthermore, as an erstwhile RIO trying to login from a laptop or iPad to the same account being used by the pilot? That too AFAIK is impossible.

Use one key from laptop as Rio, without Jester AI and the other key on the main pc as pilot of course, in multiplayer missions. This is my question.

Use one key from laptop as Rio, without Jester AI and the other key on the main pc as pilot of course, in multiplayer missions. This is my question.

That would work theoretically, but you would have to create a 2nd account to bind your 2nd key to. I can't imagine how you will control two cockpits (pilot and RIO) at the same time though. I mean there's a reason why they put two people in this jet.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg