DCS: Mi-24P - What we know + Discussion

MrDieing

OP +1

The takeover of belsimtek was a bad day for rotor heads.

All that helicopter knowledge being dispersed amongst fixed wing projects..

I have not bought the fa-18 and I'm not interested in an f-16.

the last jet I bought was the harrier.. because it thinks its a helicopter.

any chance we can get some official word on the mi-24?

us rotor heads need a little TLC after valentines day.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Startig to feel Rotary lover's pain/sadness/frustration

The passed year, last 2 years has been a huge step forward in DCS, finaly got 2.5 and lots of new modules, on my side, my so long dreamed F/A-18 Hornet finaly came out, started to dream to get this sexy stingy bird in DCS from day one i discovered DCS in early 2010. God thing is, the Harrier came out a bit before and made me cool down and gave me something cool to play with until the buzzing bird comes out.

F-14 is about to come out, heard news not too long ago for the F-15, now this week news on the F-16... but even though been a while i haven't flown helicopters and i am starting to feel their left out souls. Would be more than enough time helicopters module comes out now. I feel like, we'd have Apaches, Cobras, Twin-Hueys, Kiowas, Hinds, Commanche in game, and us, fixed wing lovers, would still get stucked with stuff like, the Mustang, Spitfire and Dora...

Got too say it's one of the reason i stop flying Helicopters, got a bit tired of the outdated old Huey, which requires me to hire as cheap labor, a Midget and ducktaped him on the Skids, with a TV dish in his hand and trying to use him as pre-historic radar system. Gazelle is cool, but with all the aircraft coming with Links and such, it'll make more sens now, a some helicopters that'd benefit from it and more versatil and which more possibilities would come out as role, at least the Hind is being worked on, Russian, but it'll be able to at least carry more than 4 missile and 1 passenger. :) Good thing is, we have the Huey well know for vietnam era, so if one of us in old warbirds gets shot down it'll be able to recover him as SAR role... mabe not, since the Huey never had the chance to get a working winch system to be used as SAR :(

All this, to say i am with you flying lawnmawyer guys!

Keep the faith « flop-flop » lovers!

If you have not yet give the KA-50 a go.

While it is certainly dated, it is a heck of a machine to fly combat in.

All rotatory lovers should check it out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

the ka-50 is definitely worth checking out for rotor lovers.

its the experiment that failed.

the one man attack helicopter.

you can tell it failed because the Russians much prefer the two man ka-52.

so its not a problem with the air frame or weapons.

it just takes way to much effort to use it well with some odd automation choices that really make it interesting. pure gold for simmers.

but yes some new choppers are definitely needed in DCS.. not necessarily new ones with glass cockpits that fly themselves, though..

a gunship with something similar to the f-14 jester AI for the gunner would be a dream..

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Well, the module of the Ka-50 is a bit dated (and definitely needs some love, it shows it hasn't gotten much in a long time), but it is the most modern helicopter we have in DCS.

The hilarious irony of seeing it as a 'failed experiment' is how the 'background and history' part of the Black Shark manual is at times a long advertisement to the tune of 'why the Ka-50 is awesome and made the Mi-28 absolutely obsolete', which always begged the question of how the Mi-28 is actually a thing then.

Falcon 3.0 > DCS F-16 = $$$$$$

Mi24= $

So I think the answer is you will be waiting a while LOL ..

Totally!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

We have the F / A-18 and soon the F-14. I wonder why now also the F-16 ... I think a break would have done well here and ED would have turned back to the Rotorheads. And pushed the development of the Hind.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

A new sarcastic observation :

Wouahhhh Gents, have you seen the last DCS Weekend news ?

Finally, a lot of information regarding the future Mi-24 module !

Oups sorry, it's on the F-16, a module announced by ED only two months ago...

Viper simers have more info in two months than us in more than 2 years !!!

Yes that's a very sarcastic reality...

...like when ED declare that they don't have forgotten about all the rotor-heads!

+1 ;)

Don't worry, we are ready to wait two more weeks and even years....Because we become accustomed to this. Especially for this module...

Qui vivra verra...

What we probably is some sort of competition. There is the new Sturmovik, so ED has to keep focusing on WWII. That's probably the reason behind FW 190A-8. If there wasn't an A-8 in Il-2 BoX, I believe, we'd be stuck with just D-9 in DCS for quite some more time. The Falcon allso seems to be aimed at that other F-16 sim customer base ;) On one hand, that's a good news, as it indicates, that DCS has alrerady became renown-enough platform in it's basic scope or basic principle of being a 'study multisim', to try to go toe to toe with some other brands out on the market. However on the other hand it means, that the effort of out-competing those will undoubtedly detract some focus from the works on 'niche-modules', like helicopters.

Now imagine that someone ellse had released a new combat helo-sim yesterday. Let's say, that product would be analogous to RoF/BoX in respect of having very good FM and DM, with some mediocre approach to avionics and stuff. And it would have flyable helos, like Apache, Havok, Hokum, maybe some less popular ones, like Tiger, Mangusta or Chinese WZ-10. Wouldn't even have the Hind, at least at the beginning. I bet this would give a kick into the production of Hind, Cobra and whatever ellse rotorcraft ED might be secretly working/planning to work on, just so that part of their customer base wouldn't flow-out into the new sim.

Well last helo sim that tried to exist went belly up a few years ago. There was also an F-18C sim that was in dev and looked like could even release before the DCS one, also went belly up.

It does look like DCS will remain a monopoly in many flight sim niches.

Anyway, at least, for now, Mi-24 looks like to be in a better spot than the F-4E. Let's wait and see. I don't expect it to be around this year unfortunately, but hey... who knows, perhaps we'll get to start the next decade happily with a virtual Hind :P

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Well last helo sim that tried to exist went belly up a few years ago. There was also an F-18C sim that was in dev and looked like could even release before the DCS one, also went belly up.

It does look like DCS will remain a monopoly in many flight sim niches.

Yeah, I fully agree. I was merely trying make a hypothetic scenario, that would help explain (in part, at least), why F-16 or WWII stuff gets more loving from ED, than Mi-24, or AH-1.

Anyway, at least, for now, Mi-24 looks like to be in a better spot than the F-4E. Let's wait and see. I don't expect it to be around this year unfortunately, but hey... who knows, perhaps we'll get to start the next decade happily with a virtual Hind :P

What leads you to that conxlusion? I mean, maybe I've overlooked something, but BST's posts with F-4 WIP screenshots from 2017 show the Phantom in much more advanced stage of progress, than what we were recently shown with Mi-24 and it's totally believeable, that works on F-4 went on even further from that time.

We have the F / A-18 and soon the F-14. I wonder why now also the F-16 ... I think a break would have done well here and ED would have turned back to the Rotorheads. And pushed the development of the Hind.

Strange but I think you captured my sentiments exactly.

Don't forget the light helicopters that are coming too - I think we had a chat on them a couple of pages ago. Wouldn't place any bets on them arriving before the Mi-24 though.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

-Rahon;3801275']What we probably is some sort of competition. There is the new Sturmovik' date=' so ED has to keep focusing on WWII. That's probably the reason behind FW 190A-8. If there wasn't an A-8 in Il-2 BoX, I believe, we'd be stuck with just D-9 in DCS for quite some more time.[/quote']

In my honest opinion, we rotorheads have it better than the WW2 aficionados. OK the WW2 planes may be coming out like mushrooms after rain (in a long term perspective), but we too have 4 wonderful aircraft, and unlike the WW2 folks, we have a sensible environment around them. Granted the platform isn't best aimed at helicopters but it does its basic sim environment job, and WW2 settings don't even have a real choice in the maps... not to mention all the stuff that's going on and flying around your flyable fighter planes (ONLY :blink:) which is missing. At the same time we have a full modern day battlefield, we have all the other elements operational or we can even scale down a bit and have a little helo war in some COIN environment while flying wing to wing with mig-15s and trainer aircraft repurposed for a ground attack role, even picking head-on mano y mano with some unsuspecting A-10 pilot who thinks he's tough!

By the way, DCS is pretty weak on the game side. But with dynamic campaign and stuff, they are addressing that competition. Of course more could be done, there's a thread about all this in chit chat already.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Well, the module of the Ka-50 is a bit dated (and definitely needs some love, it shows it hasn't gotten much in a long time), but it is the most modern helicopter we have in DCS.

The hilarious irony of seeing it as a 'failed experiment' is how the 'background and history' part of the Black Shark manual is at times a long advertisement to the tune of 'why the Ka-50 is awesome and made the Mi-28 absolutely obsolete', which always begged the question of how the Mi-28 is actually a thing then.

:thumbup: Nice observation there. The Ka-50 is one of the most modern modules, period. Did I mention it's Redfor?

Let's hope 2020 is the year of the Rotor and we'll have a new helicopter bundle for christmas! :music_whistling:

Edited by Varis

In my honest opinion, we rotorheads have it better than the WW2 aficionados. OK the WW2 planes may be coming out like mushrooms after rain (in a long term perspective), but we too have 4 wonderful aircraft...

Well, we sort of do, I mean I do enjoy flying UH-1 or the Gazelle in particular and they all DO have it's place in DCS, so no discussion there, BUT as much fun, as they are, that's not exactly, what most of us really want. We want sensible combat helos, like Hind, or Cobra, and probably most of the bunch would really love to see an Apache or Mi-28, or at least Ka-52. The ones, we have are great and it will be cool to keep having them around, once combat ones are released, but in all honesty, even if not most, then at least many of us want to blow stuff up, Apocalypse Now, or 9th Company style. Admitively I've oversimplified this, but I think, you guys get the point ;)

To compare it with WWII guys - imagine all they got was 4 aircraft, specifically He 280 (potent, but soon outclassed prototype, much like Ka-50), Ju 57 (transport aircraft with limited combat applications - Mi-8 ), DH.98 (do-it-all OK, but excell in nothing - UH-1) and L-5 (basically an observation/liason aircraft - SA 342), and that's it. Now let WWII guys try to do something with this planeset ;) But no. They got fighters - Mustang, Dora, Spit, Messer(schmitt), so they can blow stuff up ;) Maybe they'll get their C-47s, B-17s and He 111s at some point. If not from ED, then maybe from Razbam, or some other 3rd party, who knows? Now however their environment is at the stage of being grown, and part of this foundation are fighters, beacause they're most popular.

Now I'm not saying DCS should be all about combat-specific stuff - far from it! It's really cool to have and fly other types of helicopters, or (for that matter) acros, like the Yak. My point is just it's lacking really bad in 'true' (meaning role-specificaly designed) combat helos, as all we got is one prototype/pre-production variant, that barely saw any military service at all.

... and unlike the WW2 folks, we have a sensible environment around them. Granted the platform isn't best aimed at helicopters but it does its basic sim environment job, and WW2 settings don't even have a real choice in the maps... not to mention all the stuff that's going on and flying around your flyable fighter planes (ONLY :blink:) which is missing. At the same time we have a full modern day battlefield, we have all the other elements operational or we can even scale down a bit and have a little helo war in some COIN environment while flying wing to wing with mig-15s and trainer aircraft repurposed for a ground attack role, even picking head-on mano y mano with some unsuspecting A-10 pilot who thinks he's tough!

Well, they already have one map and assets. I don't want to go over the controversy of selling both as separate products. I'm only trying to say, they're slowly getting there.

On the other hand, all we have in that regard, we owe to jet-folk, whom we share our environment with. And it's only true for modern stuff, mind you. I mean, where's the Korea map for MiGs and Sabers? Where's the 'Nam for UH-1s, Mi-8s, Fishbeds, Tigers and future Farmers or Phantoms? It's not, like someone did all that you described with helos in mind specifically. Which again brings me to my point of where the priorities are ;)

By the way, DCS is pretty weak on the game side. But with dynamic campaign and stuff, they are addressing that competition. Of course more could be done, there's a thread about all this in chit chat already.

Sort of is and isn't. I don't fly singleplayer in any sim for quite a few years now, as flying online with some folks, I know and can talk to is a blast for me, so I don't really care about static vs dynamic campaigns all that much. Net code is more of a problem for me, but I've seen flightsims and other games, that handled it worse, so hard to be overly critic in that regard. However a dynamic multiplayer campaign system would be just as awesome, as it is improbable :D

Edited by [105]-Rahon

Wow, doesn't look too good guys. I asked the question on DCS2.5 section whether the F16 was taking away the resources for the Mi24. The question was immediately moved out to the Chit chat (and the title renamed from "Is the F16 taking away resources for Mi24" to "I want Mi24 and more helicopters" which didn't sound really like my post) then disappeared. All related questions about the Mi24 suffered the same fate. Talk about super reactive moderation but I am taking this as a very negative sign for rotorheads.

So what is the role of the gunner on the Mi-24/P with a fixed cannon?

Navigation, enemy spotting, communications with flight and ATGM guidance.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

@BaD CrC don't read too much into it... Chit Chat is basically the forum for "DCS World, but more interesting".

@[105]-Rahon for sure attack helicopters would sell better than transports (Mi-8 over Mi-24 huh? :huh:), but everything being "this is basically all the rage for the last 30 years, like apache, mi-24 etc etc" gets boring very quick. Not many simulators I can remember model the Gazelle or Ka-50 for that matter, so we're into a very new experience. Given the multitude of roles there is a chance to build and study a full tactical environment. Regarding being given unworkable roles... just look at what's happening in the Helicopter Tournament!

Vietnam is on the roadmap I believe.

And going to the 2020's with mostly single player features in mind... not sure if that strategy would really fly (pun intended) any more.

Edited by Varis

So what is the role of the gunner on the Mi-24/P with a fixed cannon?

Navigation, enemy spotting, communications with flight and ATGM guidance.

And copiloting. He's got full set of controls and much better instrument panel, than 'turreted' Hinds copilots/gunners, so can take over quite easily, if the pilots wants to take a nap ;)

-Rahon;3801720']And copiloting. He's got full set of controls and much better instrument panel' date=' than 'turreted' Hinds copilots/gunners, so can take over quite easily, if the pilots wants to take a nap ;)[/quote']

Now that's :sorcerer: really interesting WRT the subject of introducing new people to DCS helicopters

Wow, doesn't look too good guys. I asked the question on DCS2.5 section whether the F16 was taking away the resources for the Mi24. The question was immediately moved out to the Chit chat (and the title renamed from "Is the F16 taking away resources for Mi24" to "I want Mi24 and more helicopters" which didn't sound really like my post) then disappeared. All related questions about the Mi24 suffered the same fate. Talk about super reactive moderation but I am taking this as a very negative sign for rotorheads.

Negative sign it may be. As Chit Chat is clearly labelled "What relates but does not fit in" Maybe indeed the Mi-24 & Cobra not so long ago news flashed by ED are now removed or sidelined.

Perhaps ED may clarify this issue?

2019-011.jpg

SIGBLOCK.png

All modules was passed by the chit chat section previously to put them has "official module" and make official section, include with News into the Official Newsletters. The F/A-18C was on same situation, now has the F-16 and the Mi-24 and other.

All questions about non "official" modules (with section), has put on the chit chat.

-Rahon;3801311']

What leads you to that conxlusion? I mean, maybe I've overlooked something, but BST's posts with F-4 WIP screenshots from 2017 show the Phantom in much more advanced stage of progress, than what we were recently shown with Mi-24 and it's totally believeable, that works on F-4 went on even further from that time.

Because Mi-24 is listed among the modules that'll be sorted out before the F-4 will even be considered again, as per Wags' own post on this issue.

Not that it leaves me ecstatic or anything... look how long the Hornet is taking... and then they'll throw in a F-16 on it. I was thinking doing most of the tech in Hornet would speed it up, but the recent roadmap ED shared for F-16 in latest newsletter says otherwise. It looks like Viper will be the same "here's an AMRAAM truck with dumb-bombing capabilities, enjoy, we'll be adding remaining capabilities later on" approach. Thus, I think it'll probably occupy ED's/former BST's staff for quite a while even after its "release".

So yeah, my opinion is: Mi-24 slightly before vacuum crush of the universe, F-4E... well perhaps in another universe :P

See, that's more hope than F-4, no? :D

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

You are concerned about Mi-24, but you can be concerned about all the other modules that are not f-18 or f-16. At the moment all is in stand-by except those two modules. The sweet smell of money, I guess.

Why to be so negative?

The F/A-18C is the module leading the new ground elements in the DCS. A actual radar beam simulation instead "all-seeing-eye", a new wake turbulences, a air-to-ground terrain mapping and radars, new targeting systems, new thermal vision, new flight computers, damage models etc.

They are literally developing all those features to DCS via F/A-18C module, and they come available for other studios as well then.

That is as well why we wait many other modules as ED needs to finish their technologies first before others can implement them.

It is like EDGE 2.0 all over again, want to stick in 1.2.x series? No? Then be ready to wait that EDGE comes out until you get 1.5 or 2.5 out.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hi all,

originaly I didn´t want to write anything, but I cannot hold myself. BaD CrC´s message literally litfs me up from chair.

If would be me, I´d try to make the biggest noise around it I could. It is not about moving message or renaming it. It´s about HOW it was rename and what subtext we can read under it. The way how it was rename is typical example of arogancy, lack of interest and mockery to our faces. I smell in renaming your message try to make a fool from you, stupid fool. It is real reflection the fact how ED responding to any Mi-24 questions for last two years. Nothing nicer, same answers for two damn years!!! Because it is the same thing like you asking me (in good faith) ,,How far are you with your work?" and I would act like I dont hear you and after all tell you that you never ask me to this. Then I would lying and lying and after that I´d just think Yeah yeah you just saying some Hind crap, who cares....

I know it is just one moderator and I am frustrated, but it is very strange acting by people who getting money from us. Because this is exactly how I feel last couple of months: I gave you a money and you just spin on my face everytime I dare ask to something.

DCS is only and the best helicopter simulator. This is the fact. It is not odd or dumb asking when we get another, though ED acts like that. Last year I have a feeling that ED wants make some kind of embarassing World of airplanes 2. I am sick off the fact that ED is not able to step up forward to fans and finally speak honestly. Every new thing is about Hornet. Since last year they are probably more modern as a company, they have more employees and everything they did is - surprice surprice - nothing pointing to fans. Nothing. I wrote that before, but we heard about Hornet for last one or two years. We know about every new little wire on it but that´s all. And for upcoming year or two, we will get the same with F-16. Great prospects..

I am really sorry for BST become part of ED. We have nothing from that and we will not for the long time yet.

Can you imagine Activision, Warhorse, Ubisoft, EA, Bioware,..., acting like this? Never respond to their fans questions about news? I can´t...

Sorry for long agry text...

Jiri