Replay/trk file

lostsoul63b

Hi, I have been attempting to replay trk files. However I am finding that bombs and other actions are way off target from what they actually where during the mission flight. In some cases my plane crashes, when in reality this never happened. I am seeing my trk files are not accurate from the mission flight and I would like to know if this is a known issue and if there are any remedies? (config, etc.)

Thanks,

LS

Yup, long standing issue.

The playback is basically a new flight in DCS. But this time, all the inputs to the sim don't come from your joystick, your keyboard or your head tracker and so on. Instead, the recorded inputs from the track file are fed into DCS.

Unfortunately, there could be small errors, maybe the recording has a little less joystick input recorded, or because of CPU load (not necessarily related to DCS) the inputs are applied a tiny little bit differently. Over time, chances are that a tiny error here and a tiny discrepancy there will add up to massive differences between the original flight and the playback.

The single biggest impact has always been time acceleration, either in the original mission or in the playback. Try to avoid it whenever possible if you want to watch the replay.

I believe the overall system load also has an impact. If DCS is just barely getting enough FPS for a somewhat fluid picture, chances are playback will bug out sooner rather than later, while a rig with lots of reserves might handle it better.

A potential remedy could be if DCS saved the entire state of the entire mission every couple of seconds. Then the replay would not have to be 100% accurate for the entire mission duration, but it could be forced back into sync from the last snapshot. That might even allow to rewind, which is currently not possible. But with these snapshots, harddisk IO would peak every couple of seconds, potentially leading to stutters, and the track file size would more or less explode. And finally, if it was easy to implement, I guess ED would have already done it. But as far as I can think, that's the only way to make it more error proof.