DCS and Pimax

Wags

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

I wasn't put off with the casual dress and lack of promotional material. The meet was for us backers and they don't need to sell us. After all the complaining on the Pimax forum about communication and openess, them getting casual with their backers was great to see. It was especially good for the same reason with the testers. The promotion to the retail market will come from what several thousand backers say when they get them.

Thanks for the review again as I read it over on the forum. What is your gut telling you about 8K vs 5K+ for DCS? You don't need to commit. I am expecting Sweviver to put DCS through some good comparisons.

I think it is worth to notice that the eye tracking module is likely to favor the 8k.

Edited by pegon

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Pimax has earlier said that the 8k is upgradeable to 8kx. This will involve removing the scaling chip and installing other cables.

Scaling is a must at this point in time, as there are no GPU's that will run at native 8k.

So even if the 5k+ is slightly better at this point in time, my argument is that the 8k will have a better lifespan. The foveated rendering will hopefully give the 2080ti enough power to run at native.

Time will tell of course, but to make the right decision, system, GPU and headset all come in to play.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Pimax has earlier said that the 8k is upgradeable to 8kx. This will involve removing the scaling chip and installing other cables.

Scaling is a must at this point in time, as there are no GPU's that will run at native 8k.

So even if the 5k+ is slightly better at this point in time, my argument is that the 8k will have a better lifespan. The foveated rendering will hopefully give the 2080ti enough power to run at native.

Time will tell of course, but to make the right decision, system, GPU and headset all come in to play.

I'm not sure about that what people saying about 5K+ and 8K difference.

Maybe little better colors but definitely it is not effecting on hardware demand for running because native resolution is the same.

That simply could not be true.

An only real difference could be in more colorful with 5K+ but less SDE with 8K.

This issue needs more detailed test and comparison and for that, we should wait till September 16th when on MRTV will be published this detailed comparison and review.

I think you meant SweViver as he seems to be the only one that tests with DCS.

Not exactly.

It is true that Sweviveris only one with YT channel who playing DCS but he is not a real genuine DCS player. He starts to play it because of Pimax8K and people request for it so maybe his level of details will not be good for us dedicated DCS players. I will take his DCS review with the grain of salt.

Not necessary will be bad, it could be perfect in the end but I don't want to depend on just one person no matter how good he is.

For now, personally, I'm collecting whole information and impressions from all these persons published on Swevivers videos from Berlin. Of course, we need real detailed reviews and comparison, not just first impressions. And for that general comparison could be good to get a proper picture and from our experience with previous VR devices, we could get a decision for our self is it good for me or not because VR in general highly depends on personal subjective impression more than anything else.

Referring to my previous post want to mention something else what is related to it.

In Berlin, I noticed some details and of course SweViver didn't and couldn't comment because NDA which will be lifted after 15th September.

There were some assumptions which were not based on common sense so it is questionable. A major question is 5K vs 8K.

A major wrong assumption what could be affecting DCS is hardware demand for running 5K and 8K. There was some claim that 5K will be less demanding with Hardware. That is simply not true because native resolution for 5K and 8K is the same so hardware demand is the same because your rig will put out an exactly same resolution. So the difference is in displays and some details but not in Hardware demand.

So 5K have better and more vivid colors with confirmed full RGB subpixels 4:4:4 chroma support but lower PPI what increasing SDE impression.

On the other hand, 8K have 4Kpanels but 1440p per eye, same as 5K display native. So 8K native input will be the same as 5K, 1440p per eye, but similar as4K TV will upscaling picture to 4K and that is not affecting on your computer hardware resources. As with better panel and higher PPI 8K definitely have some advantages especially less noticeable SDE definitely.

I could not confirm that so don't take this my personal assumption and if someone could confirm that or correct please do that. I'm not sure did 8K have full RGB 4:4:4 chroma support. Some logic says that that could be the reason for some speculation why 5K has a better impression for some people. But could be just something else as well.

So to chose 5K+ or 8K is a more personal subjective decision and depend more on personal preferences. So that why we need more and detailed public testing and results same as confirmed final specs to make such a decision.

I wonder if there is a large difference in general clarity between 5k+ and 8k.

Yes, the SDE would be much reduced on 8k, but running below native resolution on a screen usually results in blurriness. At least this is the experience on monitors. Any reason why this wouldn't be the case with the Pimax 8k?

Clarity isn't so much of a concern for most VR gamers, but in DCS we need to be able to read cockpit instruments and labels as best we can.

Maybe the 5k+ will do a better job of that.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I wonder if there is a large difference in general clarity between 5k+ and 8k.

Yes, the SDE would be much reduced on 8k, but running below native resolution on a screen usually results in blurriness. At least this is the experience on monitors. Any reason why this wouldn't be the case with the Pimax 8k?

Clarity isn't so much of a concern for most VR gamers, but in DCS we need to be able to read cockpit instruments and labels as best we can.

Maybe the 5k+ will do a better job of that.

Impressions from Berlin says from all backers who try it for the first time that both VR's have higher clarity even compared to Odyssey and Vive PRO. This difference is not big but noticeable and goes in favor of Pimax.

When we add fact that sweet spot is larger than complete Vive, Rift and WMR Field of view and that that is huge diference.

Ad to this better specially made lenses for Pimax8K with significantly less Good rays we already have the winner in the aspects which we can compare.

And now major difference and something that Vive, Rift, and WMR can't compare at all. That is 170 FOV.

It is clear this is next gen VR which will raise the bar for other competitors. Good times coming for VR users definitely.

I requested Swevier to test DCS with cockpit readability (instruments and target acquisition in particular), which I am sure he will. What will be likely best for DCS will also indicate which hmd will be my choice for my other games. One thing seems likely-either hmd will be better than what we have now.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Will Deffo be checking this out. I'm mainly a whirly bird pilot and love sling loading and such. I'm just dying to get more fov even with some slight distortion. Try hovering looking straight down in a heli on the current stuff, it ain't easy! Would happily go with the Odyssey res with 170 or 210 like the starvr to use my peripheral vision.

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Will Deffo be checking this out. I'm mainly a whirly bird pilot and love sling loading and such. I'm just dying to get more fov even with some slight distortion. Try hovering looking straight down in a heli on the current stuff, it ain't easy! Would happily go with the Odyssey res with 170 or 210 like the starvr to use my peripheral vision.

I'm really interested in the Star VR as well, I have a Vive right now and I can't go back to 2d, But whether I get Pimax or Star VR will depend on the price difference more then anything. From what I've read and seen the Star VR looks to be the better experience however also will probably cost me a kidney. So Pimax might end up being a better choice since I don't like surgery.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

Sounds like the technology is going to require some major CPU and GPU power.

Will be interesting to hear how a 2080 Ti might fare with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|