Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

10 hours ago, Hartsblade said:

Right now I'm getting a solid 60fps with DCS settings maxed out except for chimney smoke and MSAA at x2. No issues with MT, but I've turned Motion Smoothing on and off so many times while testing I don't remember where I left it. I'm also running the Index at 200% in SteamVR.

If you haven't already try clearing out the texture cache for DCS

No solution for me. Its curious because with motion smoothing OFF I get sustained stable framerates (when Im not over a bigcitie... in these situation even with steam Index at 150% it stutters due the graphic card cannot sustain 80 or 90 fps...). If I put motion smoothing ON, I have many BIG stutters specially with many AI units. In ST motion smoothing is totally smooth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 3:47 PM, Gryzor said:

Thanks. I have a problem with MT and Valve Index, it produces a los of stutters with motion smoothing ON. Seems very few people here with a Index, ... do you have fluid performance with MT and motion smoothin ON (40 or 45 fps limited)? Using OpenXR it could improve performance?

Its quite curious beacuse I have smooth fluid in MT 2D, 120 fps on Gsync (4090 and 5900x). But in VR... single thread is fluid but MT-VR is a stuttering fest.

Index user here. In my case i set Throttling Behavior from Auto to Fixed in SteamVR Video Settings and then set it to max (120 in my case because i´m running my Index at 120hz refresh rate).

Try this and check if you have better performance and give feedback.

SteamVR Throttling.png

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

• 7 months later...
Hello All, an amateur DCS user here. I have a standalone version of DCS (not over Steam) with several modules. I have an HTC Vive Pro 2, a good performing PC, and I get terrible cross eye when I start DCS in VR. I used the "WMR debug" tool but it is a real challenge to get it right for me - I get the settings close but it keeps looking blurry and I get a headache. I spent few days reading posts about it to make sure I'm not missing something easy and obvious but I have no luck.
I uninstalled SteamVR and deleted all the files as described in the VR FAQ, no difference. Re-installed WMR, no difference.
My Questions:
Only very few users of Vive Pro 2 say they have to use the "WMR Debug" tool. Did I mess up the sequence of installing things and DCS is not using the right software to adjust my VR eyes settings? Where does DCS suppose to find the eyes settings to do it automatically?

Some of the things I'm still confused about and still reading and trying to understand.
What is SteamVR OpenXR?. With my Vive Pro2, am I supposed to do something to run OpenXR or is OpenVR/OpenXR for my issue does not matter? (I don't have performance issues, good FPS, no stutter - just cross eye). I'm I supposed to use the WMR? I see zero change with it installed and uninstalled...
As always, any help is highly appreciated!

Edited by Poniat

• 2 weeks later...

Just like to tell of my experience regarding the Index cable to maybe help others decide on spending that £119 for a new one.

I've been putting up with noise on my screens and crackling audio for months. I was never able to convince myself to spend the £119 on that new cable in case something else was to blame.

I tried cleaning up the earphone connections, checked and cleaned the plugs and sockets of the cable but these had just a minor effect on the issue. I wondered if perhaps it was the environment, with many controller cables and other semi-essential stuff laying around in addition to my music and radio kit. Was it the 'Trident' section alone? I'd had a new cable from Valve support a couple of years ago which hadn't included the 'trident' bit. However, the only Trident cables I could find were already over £60 alone.

This went on for month after month and I found myself using Index less and less. I had a daily session of In Death for an hour a day(for arm exercise - helps me push my wheelchair!) and that was it. I even stopped that a month or two ago.

Anyway, after a discussion with SWMBO I caved and bought a new cable - which now includes the 'trident' bit at the end. As you've probably guessed by now, it was the right thing and I should have done it last year already! The difference is gobsmacking.

So my message to you is "Just Do It!" Unless there is something obviously amiss with some other part of your set-up, take the (admittedly relatively small) financial jab and buy that cable from Valve. Even if it turns out not to be the cause of your current issues, you will almost certainly need it at some point - and who knows how long new ones will be available for us (as shown by Oculus - as was- when they ditched the Rift CV1 and left many, many owners unable to get new cables).

Just do it! 👍

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2