[REPORTED]MIG 29S has huge bounce on landing

H-var

Ironhand so you are landing at much faster than 300 hm/hr? typically if your starting your perch at 400 km/hr

Did you see this hard landing I did? The nose wheel just barely stayed in the air but it was enough for me to still make a controlled landing to earth.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4412612&postcount=120

as opposed to this where i'm constantly flung back up into the air by the nose wheel even if I land on the main gear simultaneously:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4412598&postcount=119

Edited by Baz000

so you are landing at much faster than 300 hm/hr? typically if your starting your perch at 400 km/hr

God no. My typical landing speed falls between 260 if light and 280 if heavy. Most of my touchdowns occur with 260 or 270 showing on the HUD (265-275 displayed on the steam gauge). Every once in a great awhile I’ll see 250 (HUD) if extremely light.

Turning descents give you more variables to play with when it comes to controlling your airspeed and, especially, how quickly you lose it. OTOH, turning descents will punish you badly if you fall behind this aircraft. If she feels like she wants to fall out out of the sky, you’ve already fallen well behind in your throttle and stick work.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Did you see this hard landing I did? The nose wheel just barely stayed in the air but it was enough for me to still make a controlled landing to earth.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4412612&postcount=120

as opposed to this where i'm constantly flung back up into the air by the nose wheel even if I land on the main gear simultaneously:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4412598&postcount=119

I see you edited your post to add more. :) Yes I took a quick run through the postings prior to posting myself and saw them but, viewing on my phone, I can’t make out any of the numbers on the data strip. My personal opinion is that the nosewheel is a bit too bouncy but that’s just opinion.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I see you edited your post to add more. :) Yes I took a quick run through the postings prior to posting myself and saw them but, viewing on my phone, I can’t make out any of the numbers on the data strip. My personal opinion is that the nosewheel is a bit too bouncy but that’s just opinion.

I agree with your opinion, especially after landing with the main gear only and delaying nose wheel touchdown until the very last moment

so are you kicking the rudder to loose speed>?

No. I guess it’s really no different than a straight in landing. Work the stick, throttle, and gravity. Speed loss just happens quicker in the turn which is why you can’t be lazy or tentative about what you’re doing.

_____

I am sorry posting a video not about a MiG-29 here, however I hope to be forgiven as this is about quick landings and not usual drag chute usage.

https://youtu.be/RGyL_NJhCWU

That was cool...and smooth. Kind of like what happens with the Su-25T, though I’m not sure I’ve attempted it from quite that high.

EDIT: Or maybe I have. I can’t tell on this small screen. I posted this in some forum here quite awhile ago:

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Absolutely normal. I posted L-410 cadet's landing with the same typical behavior. MiG-29 nose wheel is known as a bit bumpy by the way.

Take a look at the nose wheel: it is over the ground. The point is that there is a small water drain pit there (Kubinka) and the plane at taxiing behaves this way. I know that there is a video but I can not find it now.

https://russianplanes.net/images/to249000/248128.jpg

That plane looks like it is landing, not taxiing... The nose wheel has not touched the ground and you can see the main gear wheels the rubber is compressed alot

That plane looks like it is landing, not taxiing... The nose wheel has not touched the ground and you can see the main gear wheels the rubber is compressed alot

It's flaps are up, it's stabiliators are neutral, it's intake doors are closed, the pavement it's on isn't marked as a runway, there appears to be a wheel chock right behind it, and even with the telephoto effect those airframe jacks (?) look less than 100ft away.

• ED Team

Nope. It is well known place of the airfield. You can use google to locate the point the camera and the plane are.

And, by the way, do you really think the plane landed through these trees and just next to that orange steel garbage? :D

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
hard to tell honestly from a single photo, I attached track... What did you want to show me?

What a Newton's binom... ©

Strizhi.thumb.png.bdd78c333a88da57e82f06522f4ebc21.png

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
hard to tell honestly from a single photo, I attached track... What did you want to show me?

Can not show. Forgot that I have no Normandy to play it.

Try Caucasus please.

• ED Team

You have few seconds to level the aircraft, press F and G and to retard throttle. Then you can start the approach. Set 300-310 kph, and ~5 m/s VSI. 50 m over the second radio beacon.

MiG-29 lnd .miz

• ED Team

And another portion of simple hints about the landing.

First of all, there are two reference points - two radio beacons (a small houses with antennas).

There must be 200 m over the first and 50 m over the second one.

Better if the final approach speed is near constant 300 kph and 280-290 before the flaring.

Look at the triangle under the HUD IAS indication - if it is centered the speed is almost constant and no instant throttle correction is needed. If it is left or right you need to adjust thrust and check sink rate if necessary.

How to check the point of flaring start? It is very simple (or not) - it is the point that does not change its position relative to the windshield, as you fly with the constant sink rate and speed (stabilised approach). If this point is a bit in front of threshold - it's perfect. A bit farther - very good, farther - good, as the airstrip is long enough.

Do not stare at VSI, just check it time to time. On speed, and flaring point relative windshield.

Check the radio altitude - 6-7 m? V = 280-290? VSI =~5?

Just begin to CONSTANTLY pull the stick, looking to the ground left-forward. You need to lay the horisont to the center of the cable and hold this position as you see at the video. The plane will try not to let you do it, so pull the stick holding the horisont at the cable. If you pull too much - just freeze the stick for a moment.

Boom. FREEZE THE STICK! And retard throttle to idle.

Nothing bad will happen, if you are not fast as a mongoose and keep pulling the stick a bit. Freeze it anyway and do nothing - even if the plane jumps a little, nothing dangerous will happen. It's quite often in RL.

then take a look at IAS. 250-260? You are a master, congratulations!

Edited by Yo-Yo

• ED Team
What about the investigation on nose strut force and strenght (damage limits)?

We will take a look.