What Module Aircraft is your Hardest to Land ?

Igor4U

For Me,

When using proper procedures the MiG-29 can be a mess. The full aft stick Flare is a beast with power pulled off. It normally results in some sweet skateboard tricks like a totally nar nar ollie followed by a sick railslide with lots of flames and junk. The good thing though, most of the mangled game jet is off to the side of the runway so the rest of the flight can land. No need to divert as briefed! But if I come in off mins and roll in fast and long... no prob.

That Bloody Mi8 is ditch maker for me.. Might as well have all the troops jump out and press their luck if I'm the pilot.. because if I go to land it.. well someone will need to bring a mop.

The MiG-21 if I'm landing at Mozdok due to the fact the game does not model brake fires ... All is well as I max out the ABS. But Landing at a field shorter than Mozdok... its done and dusted... bring TUG out to the far end of the runway because there is a MiG-21 stuck in the dirt!

The Trail Draggers ... it's a wrap from the start... I can't get down the runway to get them off the ground. If you see Bones on the runway in a tail dragger... you can bet the runway will be shutdown until they get the fire out.

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's the bloody Spitfire. How'd those Brits win any battles? Boneski, your responses made me laugh out loud.

Intel I7-3770K 4.1Ghz water cooled, 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz, PowerColor RX5700XT GPU, Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard, Windows 10 on 64GB SanDisk SSD, DSC on 500GB Samsung SSD, purchased Cyberpower 11/27/2012

Ya, Spitfire was the hardest to learn to land. But once you figure out you have to be going under 100 mph, it isn't too bad. Then it's a bit of a dance with the wheel brakes to make sure you don't tip.

Huey is easy to land but difficult to land precisely. I do ok considering I don't have rudder pedals or an extended control stick.

The Harrier.. By a Mile. Explain? Well, alright then.

Granted ive only flown the Warthog.. with its Wide Trike Gear.. BEAUT to land. Love it. Im a hog pilot at heart.

The P51d Mustang.. Just as easy, its inclination and long nose issues are offset by the fact its a reverse trike, with a tail wheel. It puts down like butter. Infact, i fly the Trainer with video turned al the way up sometimes just to fly.

the FrogFoot.. easy. Its mushy, the gear area close in.. smaller wings.. still doesnt matter.

THE HARRIER.. omg. First, the sonoffagun has gull wings, short and stubby at that. So shes gotte be above 190 just for stable flight.

ITS FLAPS are computer run.. so you dont roast them off with nozzle changes. and when they come down they make the speed issue even worse.

Its Gear completely ruin its aerodynamicis.. noticeably.

Its Airbrake.. cany be deployed when the gear are out.. its part of the gear system.. great!

its CoM and CoL are designed for hovering.. so if you brake hard or you use nosewheel, you can flip the plane way before you would flip the mustang

ITS UNDERPOWERED FOR ANY TYPE OF LANDING.. SO.. They include a water tank so you can OVERPOWER the engine. meaning, you have about 30 seconds worth of water before you CANT hover land.. or safely land for that matter. So if you are going to VTOL.. not only do you have to be really good at it, you gotta do it in a short time frame. against the wind.

thats another thing.. cross winds? nope.. hang it up for the day. especially if you got a heavy wing load.

dont get me wrong i LOVE it.. there nothing better in this game than helicopter hunting in the Harrier.. but you gon' learn ta-day

The reason I think the huey is so hard is your supposed to come to a hover around 5 ft agl 0 airspeed then gently lower the collective so it takes a minute to land iirc that’s when things go wrong

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

AV-8B VTOL for sure

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

The Spit or the 109 - first time I landed the Spit it was perfect, and I've never managed to do it again without some mishap or other. T/O is fairly simple, remember to hold the stick back to lock the tailwheel and if you have rudder pedals ( if you don't, boy are you masochistic flying those things ) disable that takeoff "help", it really doesn't help.

The Viggen is probably the one I wrestle with most out of the jets, it gets really unwieldy when it's on the edge of stalling & if you want to short-land it that's where you have to be - it's not exactly hard, it's probably the most awkward though. The Harrier is a dream, super easy.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

The reason I think the huey is so hard is your supposed to come to a hover around 5 ft agl 0 airspeed then gently lower the collective so it takes a minute to land iirc that’s when things go wrong
I did land it quite nicely on the Sphinx's head the other day, so pretty proud of that.:)

The Spit for me - can be quite challenging.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Mig 21 is probably the hardest for me to consistently grease a landing on followed closely by the Gazelle. I can land it fine, precisely is another thing entirely.

Core i9-9900KS 5.0GHz | RTX 2080TI | 64GB DDR4 SDRAM at 3200Mhz | 2TB Western NVMe SSD | 4TB Western HDD | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 10 PRO 64 bit

The Spit or the 109 - first time I landed the Spit it was perfect, and I've never managed to do it again without some mishap or other. T/O is fairly simple, remember to hold the stick back to lock the tailwheel and if you have rudder pedals ( if you don't, boy are you masochistic flying those things ) disable that takeoff "help", it really doesn't help.

You can't lock the tail wheel on the Spit — it's free-castoring all the way down the runway. Makes for some interesting take-offs to be sure since the rocket pendulum effect is present in full force. :D

The I-16 is even worse since it's the roughly the length of a shrivelled cucumber and doesn't even get the minimal lateral stability that a longer body would provide.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

#1: F-5 Tiger II, due to high angle of attack during approach and its sensitivity to quickly decreasing lift with decreasing airspeed, and "delayed" RPM changes

#2: MiG-29, due to its - obvious - bug with the inverted ground effect

No problems with AJS-37, F-14, F-16, L-39, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, A-10A.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

For me the Spitfire.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Used to be the Mig-21, but that became easier to handle over many patches.

Now I'd say it's the Spitfire. If you don't grease it in very close to stall speed you will ground loop every time.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Used to be the Mig-21, but that became easier to handle over many patches...

Or maybe it became easier with more practice?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5