Harrier, helos and Supercarrier

Eviscerador

Hi everyone!

I was thinking about the Harrier and how players who don't own the Supercarrier module will be able to interact with.

I mean, sure, you can't use catapults or wires, but the harriers don't need them. Will you be able to land, refuel and rearm on the deck with a Harrier if you don't have the DCS supercarrier module?

Or with any helicopter for that matter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I seriously hope it will be possible to join a server running a mission with the SC in and that it will be possible to trap / launch from it just as any other carrier, without ofc the eye candy stuff (no crew, no new animations for cables, that sort of stuff).

Are there any official words about this kind of "issue" ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

I seriously hope it will be possible to join a server running a mission with the SC in and that it will be possible to trap / launch from it just as any other carrier, without ofc the eye candy stuff (no crew, no new animations for cables, that sort of stuff).

Are there any official words about this kind of "issue" ?

Yeah, they said the supercarrier won't reply to radio for inbound and you won't be able to use trap wires and catapults.

But nobody said anything about VTOL aircraft or helos, hence my question.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To not have issues, I intend to set-up my Fleet with two carriers, one Stennis and one Supercarrier, plus one or two Tarawa for the Harriers and helos.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yeah, they said the supercarrier won't reply to radio for inbound and you won't be able to use trap wires and catapults.

But nobody said anything about VTOL aircraft or helos, hence my question.

Totally a guess, but I would imagine you'll have to own the module to interact with it, no matter what plane/helo you try. Can you refuel the Harrier on the current Stennis, curious as I've not seen anyone do it?

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Yeah, I'd guess you might be able to land, but nothing else. That or CIWS just hoses you down since you aren't authorized...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Totally a guess, but I would imagine you'll have to own the module to interact with it, no matter what plane/helo you try. Can you refuel the Harrier on the current Stennis, curious as I've not seen anyone do it?

Yes the Stennis does rearm Harriers and I think the Vinson (or any ship) works also. I'm pretty sure if you are on the same coalition and in any aircraft it'll service your aircraft. It doesn't have rules limiting what can use it like the FARP object.

A lot of the functionality for the super carriers has plenty of questions that still need answers. I think it would ironic if the helicopters, VTOL, or capable of short landing aircraft could still use the SC while the very aircraft that use the landing systems wouldn't be allowed to. Suffice to say the requirement of using workarounds for the sheer existence of an object in a mission is problematic to say the least.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Yes the Stennis does rearm Harriers and I think the Vinson (or any ship) works also. I'm pretty sure if you are on the same coalition and in any aircraft it'll service your aircraft. It doesn't have rules limiting what can use it like the FARP object.

Thanks, I really hadn't paid attention and seen any Harriers on the Stennis. Good to know, too. Mentioning the Vinson, I think a good idea would be to copy the Stennis and replacing the Vinson with it. Give the World another free carrier to mission with.

Besides, I believe that's the same Vinson I shot at in Flanker 2.5 years ago. :D

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

Thanks, I really hadn't paid attention and seen any Harriers on the Stennis. Good to know, too. Mentioning the Vinson, I think a good idea would be to copy the Stennis and replacing the Vinson with it. Give the World another free carrier to mission with.

Besides, I believe that's the same Vinson I shot at in Flanker 2.5 years ago. :D

It and the Kuz are certainly from LOMAC era, I didn't play Flanker so I don't know for sure on that point. How the two older US carriers fit into things with this DLC is also an enormous question mark still. In terms of the models and if people will get the benefit of new radio comms or other functionality on the old ships. Like if the Stennis would get updated to the correct size with more spawn points or as you suggest even a basic copy of the model for the Vinson just to get rid of it. If we have to have multiple tiers of functionality for the carrier objects I'd prefer they limit it to just two. Though I'd rather have the carrier enhancements be clientside only and all of the CVs act as the ones we have now for those without the DLC.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I think there would be major conflicts of a non-owner of the SC module was able to land on one on a server. For example, owners of the module would be on deck watching the crew walk around and direct traffic. Non-owners would not see the crew, so they would taxi around at will. Owners would then watch non-owners taxiing through the deck crew, not paying attention to direction, and generally effing it all up.

486DX w/turbo button

I think there would be major conflicts of a non-owner of the SC module was able to land on one on a server. For example, owners of the module would be on deck watching the crew walk around and direct traffic. Non-owners would not see the crew, so they would taxi around at will. Owners would then watch non-owners taxiing through the deck crew, not paying attention to direction, and generally effing it all up.

I dunno,

Just make the carrier non-colidable for folks that don't have it. I bet thats what ED will do. You wanna come in for the landing, go ahead, sploosh... It will mainly be annoying for the people that bought it to watch bozos splooshing around the ship.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Explode is Better then crashing other players on and under the deck. But that’s my opinion just look and don’t touch. I you want the candy, simply buy it. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

That's not how you spell “hilarious” at all. :D

Its funny for 5 min, then it becomes annoying.

If you don't make a perfect score on your trap, security shoots your pilot and deck crew shove your plane overboard.

Nah. [NOT REALISITC]

What would be cool is your pilot had a trap score and the tone of the radio interaction changed based on that. Like if you suck they spend more time talking you down holding your hand etc. Or raise the crash fence or whatever..

• 7 months later...

And what about the OWNERS of the supercarrier module, who fly helicopters? Are we able to interact with the crew? Or is the supercarrier module only designed for navy planes with a hook?

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

And what about the OWNERS of the supercarrier module, who fly helicopters? Are we able to interact with the crew? Or is the supercarrier module only designed for navy planes with a hook?

The deck crew only interact with the aircraft connecting to, and launching from, the cats; so for helos there is no deck crew interaction.

In terms of the ATC interaction, I would suspect that the radio calls will work with helo's for owners of the SC module (I haven't actually tried it with my helos yet). However, my understanding is right now that you'd be given instructions to fly the fixed wing approaches (case I/II/III) and not helo approaches (I'm not sure if the RL helo procedures are different, I'd imagine they are).

Highly sensitive subject harf4ng. I raised the question, a little after release, about having those cool crew members interacting and marshalling helicopters some day and was carpet bombed by the F18 and F14 fanboys. Official reason (not official by ED) for this was that none of the choppers we have in DCS are supposed to operate on aircraft carriers.

Edited by BaD CrC

I think it is simpler than that the crew and COMMS are only designed to work with the f-18 and the f-14, it’s not that they couldn’t be adapted work with harriers helos, but that’s not where the code base is today, and not any of the objectives listed for the super carrier...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg