Is there any plan to make NTTR free of charge in the near future ?

Hi there !

I know, the question seems to be a bit provocative but it is perfectly genuine. With the upcoming *new* Caucasus and the Strait of Hormuz map on its way, I was wondering who will buy the NTTR when there are so much more interesting maps, environment wise. NTTR would be perfect as a training ground (as it is today), then people willing to go on a more realistic confrontational setting would buy the Strait of Hormuz map.

NTTR could still host a bunch of Red Flag type campaigns. The fact that the map would be free should facilitate and entice buyers to buy more campaigns as the investment cost would be much lower.

I bought myself the NTTR map, I'm not looking to grab some free stuff, don't throw rocks at me please. I'm just curious about the future development of this map. To reward the early adopters, ED could eventually offer a coupon code to offer a small reduction on a future map purchase.

Just my two cents.

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

It is often discounted by ED to mark holidays and such. It is also made more attractive by the Red Flag campaigns among other things.

It was always going to be the case that DLC will not be free. The Caucasus map is simply an update, and ED have a policy of allowing DCS World to be downloaded free along with 2 aircraft.

I don't see any of their policies changing any time soon. I suspect NTTR and all maps aside from the Caucasus will always be premium content just like additional aircraft and recently, asset packs which consist of period specific ground units and ships.

The sales will draw in customers for even the least interesting stuff.

Well I would have thought confrontational is when the AI "other team" or "other team"is ganging up on you in any map. :D

Besides if it's free there probably wont be much more development and that's gotta be a bad thing right. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

It is often discounted by ED to mark holidays and such. It is also made more attractive by the Red Flag campaigns among other things.

It was always going to be the case that DLC will not be free. The Caucasus map is simply an update, and ED have a policy of allowing DCS World to be downloaded free along with 2 aircraft.

I don't see any of their policies changing any time soon. I suspect NTTR and all maps aside from the Caucasus will always be premium content just like additional aircraft and recently, asset packs which consist of period specific ground units and ships.

The sales will draw in customers for even the least interesting stuff.

+1 You can fly in DCS for free and have two free airplanes.

The caucasus is in 2.5 the most beautiful map there is. AND it's for FREE! And in full force without limits. This is a unique concept.

The man hours for new maps seems to be huge, so that the DLC is not free it's completely normal it's not free of charge.

Everybody can save money for more dlc, it's what your prioritys have. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Sorry guys but I think there is some misunderstanding about the point of my question. Perhaps my fault. Trying to make it simple and straightforward :

How NTTR will still be relevant when *new* Caucasus and Strait of Hormuz will be available ?

I think that the current success of NTTR is mainly due to being a desert map and a different environment from the usual green plains of Caucasus. What will happen when Strait of Hormuz will be here ? In the future, if I want to fly a desert map, I'll probably choose to fly over the Strait (and don't forget the fact that we will be also able to be launched from carriers).

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

The significance will always be that it is the environment where Red Flag takes place.

There are campaigns available based purely on NTTR, so if you want to fly them, you will need NTTR.

Also, the reason it materialised was due to a commitment made when DCS World was first marketed. I wouldn't worry too much about marketing it if I were you. I am sure ED have it covered.

Sorry guys but I think there is some misunderstanding about the point of my question. Perhaps my fault. Trying to make it simple and straightforward :

How NTTR will still be relevant when *new* Caucasus and Strait of Hormuz will be available ?

I think that the current success of NTTR is mainly due to being a desert map and a different environment from the usual green plains of Caucasus. What will happen when Strait of Hormuz will be here ? In the future, if I want to fly a desert map, I'll probably choose to fly over the Strait (and don't forget the fact that we will be also able to be launched from carriers).

Yes, they are misunderstanding the thread. (most of them). I own myself NTTR and im with you.

NTTR already seems dead and being paid will only kill it more in the time coming. I dont think they will put it on free any time soon. but hey, maybe is worth the money being free. With a free map, and a bunch of cheap campaigns. maybe they could sell more AND the most important thing, attract new users (wich will buy more stuff too).

I7 7700k - Msi Z270 Gaming+

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

2x Samsung 850EVO 250/500 - 1x HDD 1TB

SAITEK-MAD CATZ CYBORG FLY 5 STICK

WIN 10

Yes, they are misunderstanding the thread. (most of them). I own myself NTTR and im with you.

NTTR already seems dead and being paid will only kill it more in the time coming. I dont think they will put it on free any time soon. but hey, maybe is worth the money being free. With a free map, and a bunch of cheap campaigns. maybe they could sell more AND the most important thing, attract new users (wich will buy more stuff too).

So in my opinion is caucasus 2.5 the most attractived map ED produced! If things get free over time, why in the hell should i buy things in the future... :D

How about that? No, from time to time ED is offering savings.

I repeat everybody can save money.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Guys I think some of you are a bit harsh to the author. He is not asking to get anything for free. Just looking for a way to attract more people to NTTR. Saying that the map is dead is not fair but the number of players at least in MP are not impressive.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Guys I think some of you are a bit harsh to the author. He is not asking to get anything for free. Just looking for a way to attract more people to NTTR. Saying that the map is dead is not fair but the number of players at least in MP are not impressive.

You are right, wasnt fair. I thoguht that just because i almost even play it because there are too little servers on it. And yes, the idea is attract new ppl to nttr and why not to DCS. I dont want free stuff neither.

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

WIN 10

• ED Team
Is there any plan to make NTTR free of charge in the near future ?

No

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

No

Thanks bignewy :D

Squadron training (or any training exercise, really), Red Flag events (multiplayer tournaments), Red Flag enthusiasts who want to fly in the same arena as the real thing is done, Red Flag Campaigns, etc.

ED would be crazy to give this map away for free. It is a great map, IMO. I also expect it will be included in many MP server rotations on 2.5; variety of arenas is a good thing in MP. I would love to see servers having one mission running in SoH, when it ends it rotates to a Caucasus mission and when it ends it rotates to NTTR mission, etc.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Squadron training (or any training exercise, really), Red Flag events (multiplayer tournaments), Red Flag enthusiasts who want to fly in the same arena as the real thing is done, Red Flag Campaigns, etc.

ED would be crazy to give this map away for free. It is a great map, IMO. I also expect it will be included in many MP server rotations on 2.5; variety of arenas is a good thing in MP. I would love to see servers having one mission running in SoH, when it ends it rotates to a Caucasus mission and when it ends it rotates to NTTR mission, etc.

for sure you will have a lot of fun with all your friend with money for all the content. No doubts.

Perhaps they could do region pricing like many other companies, and adding a refund policy wouldnt hurt either.

the text "due to nature of download product, this product isnt elegible for a refund" always cringes me before spending money lol.

Edited by shonist

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

WIN 10

for sure you will have a lot of fun with all your friend with money for all the content. No doubts.

Perhaps they could do region pricing like many other companies, and adding a refund policy wouldnt hurt either.

the text "due to nature of download product, this product isnt elegible for a refund" always cringes me before spending money lol.

What you're buying into is intellectual rights. Their value remains the same globally, and the suppliers are not responsible for the economic welfare of any corner of the globe. Why should ED be worse off because your nation's exchange rates may be unfavourable?

There are no refunds available because you will be in possession of computer code, and in effect, once it is on your system, it cannot be reliably and accountably removed. You are paying for the right to possess something that once you possess, you cannot prove you no longer possess.

As in all things, you have a choice, enter into a binding contract or don't enter into it. Once you buy, it is yours, permanently. Yes, there is always a degree of good faith on your part. The transaction is also entered into only when you agree to the end user license agreement.

If you don't like it, you have a very simple choice. Walk away, and don't buy.

What you're buying into is intellectual rights. Their value remains the same globally, and the suppliers are not responsible for the economic welfare of any corner of the globe. Why should ED be worse off because your nation's exchange rates may be unfavourable?

There are no refunds available because you will be in possession of computer code, and in effect, once it is on your system, it cannot be reliably and accountably removed. You are paying for the right to possess something that once you possess, you cannot prove you no longer possess.

As in all things, you have a choice, enter into a binding contract or don't enter into it. Once you buy, it is yours, permanently. Yes, there is always a degree of good faith on your part. The transaction is also entered into only when you agree to the end user license agreement.

If you don't like it, you have a very simple choice. Walk away, and don't buy.

what? thats really basic coming from you. As there are refund for a lot of digital products.

btw, you are beign basic again in economy, its better for them, not only for ours. Activision-blizzard and STEAM has region pricing and its obvius ppl can consume more if they can reach it.

bro im not even with money problems, my opinions are just to help DCS. i own all the modules that i want here and in many other games. My opinions are based on willing to play DCS for a really long long time and enjoy it better with the time, wich means more people, more stuff to do, etc, etc. of course, they dont have to do anything that ppl say in the forums...

do you think no company changes their ways/politics to addapt to the world?

No company ever has grown with the "Dont like, dont buy" logic. and im really aware that ED isnt you, and im sure in the future they will adress stuff like that. mark my words.

Edited by shonist

GTX 1070ti

16gb @2400

WIN 10

So I think the OP is undervaluing NTTR. I’m in the 476th and we use the map for training. We have all the ranges set up accurately. These ranges are incredibly useful for training in a low risk, low threat environment. And to be able to do it with real world procedures is very useful. I cannot stress how using the ranges has increased my abilities. Also, the group made the asset pack and mission file free for everyone to use. Head on over to our website and check out the download section.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm not.

As for the "low risk, low threat environment" part, are you implying that the whole Hormuz region is free of such zone to train local pilots ? How are they training then ? What about the several western countries having outposts and training there as well ?

As I said, I really do think NTTR is a great map BUT with the Strait of Hormuz release I cannot see the former thriving within the community. Why someone would purchase a desert map with much lower deployment capabilities ? Hormuz will offer the ability to train any aspect of modern warfare. Last time I flew in Nevada I was not able to perform carrier operations or anti-shipping missions.

I'll still fly over Vegas from time to time because I like the idea of having a blue training zone but if you had to help a new pilot to choose between NTTR and the Strait of Hormuz, which map will you recommend ? I think the vast majority of the community will advise the new pilot to buy the newest desert map.

Only time will tell.

It's a pretty environment and I've had oodles of fun flying over it, but as soon as the SoH map hits the shops, my NTTR is gone. This is because I'm a COIN guy first and foremost, and do find flying Mi-8s & L-39s against the Nevadian insurgents (a.k.a the Sacred Brotherhood of Al-Absinth) kind of silly truth be telt :D

But the map itself is great regardless, and the Red Flag folks among others will undoubtedly still use it in the future. So dead it definitely is NOT.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.