Mission 10 Mavericks

I hope ED fixes the issues with deferred shading during night missions in 2.5 as its very hard to see anything and the lighting does not fully function like flood light for example.

I have some issues with the mission and I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. The first target I lock up, the comms truck, is marked in point mode on the TGP and I am using the D version of the Maverick. Slave my mav sensor to the tgp point that I marked and I see it locked up, get the flashing cross and I notice that the missile hits the wrong target. It landed on the target all the way to the left instead of the comms truck. I did not get a notice from the instructor that I hit the wrong target.

The second waypoint target is a tank, same procedure but this time when I slave the H version of the maverick, it never gets a lock even when pressing TMS up short several times. In fact I see the cross hairs slave to what looks like just grey everywhere, no smoke to be seen.

I think the illumination flares died out on my second pass. Is that suppose to happen? I had to take out the tank using the D version of the maverick because I swung around like 4 times an my Mav sensors just showed pointed at an all gray background on the MFCD using the H version of the Mavericks. I was using hot FLIR mode with china hat aft.

Included a track just in case. I played in VR so apologize for all the head movement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qa7do8nr7h3dtmm/m10.trk?dl=0

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

We play in VR all the time too now!

Yes the deferred shading at night is problematic at present but I'm confident ED will get it corrected at some point.

Night missions without deferred shading look much better and more consistent with earlier versions of DCS World.

Did you experience the same mav issues in the practice mission?

We didn't have issues in testing prior to the release but will retest to see if we can reproduce what you are experiencing.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Yes in the practice misison I notice the same thing. Wrong target at waypoint 1 gets hit. Maybe the spacing between vehicles could be further?

I noticed recon stewart had the same issue except he ended up hitting the comms truck and took out the other two vehicles as collateral damage.

But that's not so much of a problem as the target at waypoint 2, the tank. It seems after you reach that area the illumination is out if you don't get it on the first try.

The biggest problem I have is I can't see anything on the H Maverick tv. I see the tank nice and clear in the TGP. He's locked up in point track and set as SPI. But when switching to the H Maverick I can't see anything.

I mean I see the crosshairs and a countdown in how many miles I am from target..but the darn H Maverick refuses to lock on. I thought the H model would lock on from further away although the D model is what is preferred for night operations.

I don't have any issues locking the target with the D version at waypoint 2. I dunno if this may be an ED bug with the view of the H Maverick Tv but I've tried both the check ride and practice mission and nor can I see the tank on the screen or lock it up.

Oh and the track I posted is with deferred shading off. I also prefer to have it turned off during night sorties otherwise everything is pitch black.

Edit: Tank is nowhere to be found in the practice misison at waypoint 2..also no illumination flares and instructor never says anything from the start.

Edited by sze5003

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

For anyone else having issues I managed to pass it with some type of work around. Since the AGM 65H is not good at night time operations what I did was use Force correlation mode to fire the Maverick when in range at waypoint 2.

The issue was the H model is very spotty when locking on at night. It never locked on when pressing TMS up short even when 3 miles from the target. This time what I did was when 5 miles out from the tank, I set boat switch forward, then boat switch center. I pressed TMS up short and got the force correlation solid cross.

The next step is important. IF you fire the maverick while on autopilot heading straight, it will not hit. I had to point the nose down toward the target. Careful not to go below 5k feet. Once the Maverick was pointed down toward the target, I fired the missile and it hit without issues.

I could never get the H maverick to lock on normally like the D version. The D version as long as it was set to your SPI would lock up the target without problems and not requiring you to be so close. I did cut it close to 1mile out with the H model and noticed that is when it would achieve a normal lock but usually this would result in a miss.

• 1 month later...

With the H not being suitable for night operations, I just loaded all Ds and passed the PO. I'm a weapons loader in RL, and I havent loaded an H model in ages! I was having problems too because I thought you had to take what the mission gave you. Got fed up and tried loading up all D models to see what would happen, and it worked!

Thinking outside of the box!:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

Nice! Didn't know we would not be penalized for changing the load out. I ended up using force correlation mode which ended up being tricky but it worked.

The H's should work on the targets that are illuminated by the parachute flares (since they track optically).

If you use the D's on the first 2 targets then use the H's on the remaining targets you shouldn't have to change the loadout.

However the flares will die fairly quickly so you need to be quick with your targeting.

Since the MAVs are fire and forget you can start turning to the other target area as soon as the MAV is locked on and fired.

• 3 months later...

Question about the mission, briefing saying that with the moving convoy I should use my remaining mavericks to destroy tanks, and I'm authorized to kill remainings target. I kill three tanks on this convoy and did not kill the other vehicles, I rtb and receive an unqualified.

What I understand is I MUST kill the tanks and I can but not MUST kill the other target in the convoy. So, what the problem, the briefing or there was more than 3 tanks in the convoy ? I check all the aera, I didn't found other one

Question about the mission, briefing saying that with the moving convoy I should use my remaining mavericks to destroy tanks, and I'm authorized to kill remainings target. I kill three tanks on this convoy and did not kill the other vehicles, I rtb and receive an unqualified.

What I understand is I MUST kill the tanks and I can but not MUST kill the other target in the convoy. So, what the problem, the briefing or there was more than 3 tanks in the convoy ? I check all the aera, I didn't found other one

As far as I'm aware when I did this misison I'm pretty sure you have your get all targets. There's two tanks in the convoy, or maybe one if I remember correctly. You have to use the remainder Mavericks on these then take out the whole lot of trucks that are left, I think it's a mix of BTR and trucks.

Yes you must kill all the targets. The tanks are best killed using the Mavericks because they are hard to kill with the gun.

So the best advice is to kill the earlier targets with only 1 Mav each leaving enough Mavs for the tanks in the convoy, then you will be able to kill all the rest with the gun.

If you mess up the first targets and run out of Mavs it is likely you will run out of gun ammo before you can kill all the convoy units.

• 2 months later...
With the H not being suitable for night operations, I just loaded all Ds and passed the PO. I'm a weapons loader in RL, and I havent loaded an H model in ages! I was having problems too because I thought you had to take what the mission gave you. Got fed up and tried loading up all D models to see what would happen, and it worked!

Thinking outside of the box!:)

Nice man! Good idea!

I passed this today after my second try, i actually passed it in a different way to you. i went with the given load out and took out the first objective with a D, then the second one also with a D, then miraculously the third with an H, the column you first have to take out one tank with the remaining D so that the column stops and the illumination flare can actually illuminate the other tanks so you can take them out. If you take too much time with the first kill in the column then they will advance too much and the illumination will be defficient.

The actual problem of the H in the 2nd and 3rd objectives is that the flares dont illuminate the area of the objective well enough or that the sim has a bug with lighting.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

• 5 months later...

This mission is pretty much impossible with the loadout they give you. As of 2.5.4.28461, i had to change the loadout to 4 x D mavs , and 4 CBU 105s to complete it. There's no way way, with the current lighting problem in DCS, that you can use the H effectively. Even with the Ds the MFDs display is very hard to make out select the targets. its pretty much a pitch black screen with tiny white dots. I just used 3 Ds for the first 3 targets and the cluster bombed the column.

This mission is pretty much impossible with the loadout they give you. As of 2.5.4.28461, i had to change the loadout to 4 x D mavs , and 4 CBU 105s to complete it. There's no way way, with the current lighting problem in DCS, that you can use the H effectively. Even with the Ds the MFDs display is very hard to make out select the targets. its pretty much a pitch black screen with tiny white dots. I just used 3 Ds for the first 3 targets and the cluster bombed the column.
I had no idea you could change the load out. I would have saved myself a lot of retries back when I did this mission. I somehow managed to pass it with the given load out by using force correlation with the Mavericks on the second set of targets. It was really hard to see anything in VR and I could not get a lock at all until I used force correlate to fire the Maverick and somehow got those last tanks. You also have to hurry up before the illumination flares go out in order to get all the BTR's and trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually there is no illumination at all of the four target destinations. I thing it is a bug.

I7 7700k - MSI Z270 PC MATE DUAL - CORSAIR DDR4 32GB - NVIDIA GTX 1080 - EIZO FS2735 - TRACKIR - GUILLEMOT PRODUCTS - CH PRODUCTS - SB X-FI FATALITY PLATINUM - VAICOM PRO - TACVIEW

VIEL LEIDENSFÄHGKEIT

• 3 weeks later...
Actually there is no illumination at all of the four target destinations. I thing it is a bug.

I agree with Woodlanddragon- I dont get any illumination effect from flares on the battlefield at any of the targets, and had this issue in BFT as well. I got all of the audio prompts that I was doing the right thing, but no visual effect. Thanks for the alternatives to pass this PO!

Meanwhile i have seen those flares. But the illumination is a joke.

I think another problem in this mission is, all targets are too close together. So the triggers for illumination flares are firing to early, cause you get to near to these triggers.

To solve this circumstances i have used the tip of ...! I stowed my own configuration of weapons in this mission. Why not? Using dessert assigned Maveriks in the norhern hemisphere is too a nogo.

The use of the NVG was, by the way, extremly helpfully!

Edited by woodlanddragon

I7 7700k - MSI Z270 PC MATE DUAL - CORSAIR DDR4 32GB - NVIDIA GTX 1080 - EIZO FS2735 - TRACKIR - GUILLEMOT PRODUCTS - CH PRODUCTS - SB X-FI FATALITY PLATINUM - VAICOM PRO - TACVIEW

VIEL LEIDENSFÄHGKEIT

• 3 weeks later...

We have retested the mission and agree the illumination changes now render the video MAVs inop.

In testing we doubled the flare count and still couldn't get enough illumination for the video MAVs to lock on.

We are updating the mission (and the practice mission) to use the AGM-65Ds (IR) and making a few other updates to make locating the targets easier.

We hope to have the updates completed and available for a future patch update soon.

Wow! Cool! Extraordinary!

I will check it out! Its a great learning mission. Especially when you want to lern to hurry up!

Edited by woodlanddragon

VIEL LEIDENSFÄHGKEIT

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi guys,

For me it is impossible to finish the last mission after tons of practice hours. The lighting is disastrous even by wearing night vision goggles. I have hit all the marked targets including the 3 tanks of the convoy but when I start to hit by gun all trucks, the ilumination is poorly even using the LAU flares below 5000 feet and it is impossible to know where the targets are.

ED has been tweaking the night settings for some time now. 

This also impacts the FA-18 Hornet missions as reported here and the Mi-24 Hind as reported here and the F-16C Falcon as reported here.  I'm sure other modules are also impacted.

Some have recommended a restart between missions as per this thread.

Not sure when they will fix it but you could try adjusting the contrast on your MFCDs to get better target visuals. 

Once you spot one, place a mark point so you will know where they are if you lose lock.

Hi Sabre,

First of all thanks for your answer. The problem is not the contrast in MFCDs. Once I block a new target through the TGP and set a new SPI on it, I cannot see it properly due to poor ilumination until I am close to ground even with the night vission toogless.

What do you refer with restart between missions?

Edited by borja.abadc