DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

While dogfight enemy levels his flight and turns on navigation lights. At this point his plane is shot badly, he's probably unable to fight or escape.

1)Is this how he's begging for mercy?

2)Is it very rude to finnish him anyway?

3)Is this behaviour in any way universal or is it just what AI does in P-51 training missions.

Any AI plane makes that when it got damaged enough, then it will return to the nearest base which has to be neutral or the coalition of its country

Any AI plane makes that when it got damaged enough, then it will return to the nearest base which has to be neutral or the coalition of its country

Ok. Fair.

Is there a record of real guys doing it during WW2?

Is it a part of a pilots savoir-vivre not to put down the enemy plane when pilot is giving up and RTB?

Intel i9-9900k 5.0GHz · Gainward RTX2080Ti 11GB Phoenix GS · AsRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate · Benq 4K 32" PD3200U · Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe · 2x Seagate ST2000DX002 2TB · 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL14 · SoundBlaster ZX · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · SAITEK Pedals · RIFT S

Engine kill?

Only have a second or two to submit...

Friend asked me to demonstrate deadstick landing.

I cut the fuel/rich knob (up)

Cut fuel valve (down)

Cut fuel booster (down)

Cut engine starter (down)

Killed the magnetos

killed the two power switches (right panel, down)

Throttle full back

RPM full back

both gauges showed almost zero.

prop still spins... (okay, windmilling?)

both throttle and rpm levers full.

Merlin still working!

Sort of.

gauges say yes.

KIAS says no.

Confusing.

What went wrong?

(Kill procedure not listed here in any order.)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Nothing went wrong - as long as You're moving the prop will always windmill and thus, there will be some suction in manifold, so Neither RPM will fall to zero, nor MAP will stop at 29.92". While we're at it, mixture to "cut off" and magnetos to "off" would suffice.

To seize the engine completely in DCS, You have to work harder for it :D (combat damage does the trick, overheating or blowing sometimes does too).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Also, you don't need to shut the engine down to dead stick in. No one actually does that, for obvious reasons, outside of a sim.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

No one actually does that, for obvious reasons, outside of a sim.

But shouldn't you feather the prop regardless? Because you'll get lots of drag if you just leave it windmilling.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

But shouldn't you feather the prop regardless? Because you'll get lots of drag if you just leave it windmilling.
Yes, but P-51 doesn't feature a feathering prop.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Also, you don't need to shut the engine down to dead stick in. No one actually does that, for obvious reasons, outside of a sim.

Except for the time a friend of mine and I did just that in Cessna at MCAS Beaufort at night. They turned on the strobes for us upon request. That, i will never forget.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

But if you set RPM to low the prop will go coarse and drag will be reduced.

Not with the engine stopped, as was the case.

With the rpm lever, you set a desired rpm to maintain. The propeller governor uses oil pressure to maintain those rpm. If rpm increases, so does oil pressure and the governor moves the blades to a coarser position to slow the prop and keep the selected rpm. With lower pressure, it does the contrary and the prop goes finer to increase rpm (oil pressure).

Engine stopped implies very low rpm and oil pressure. Even with the rpm lever at min (full backwards), the engine is rotating slower than selected, which drives the propeller to full fine pitch (and max drag).

Similarly, when the engine is running and loses its oil (e.g. due to battle damage), the pressure goes down and the governor will move the propeller blades to full fine, which can overspeed the engine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not with the engine stopped, as was the case.

With the rpm lever, you set a desired rpm to maintain. The propeller governor uses oil pressure to maintain those rpm. If rpm increases, so does oil pressure and the governor moves the blades to a coarser position to slow the prop and keep the selected rpm. With lower pressure, it does the contrary and the prop goes finer to increase rpm (oil pressure).

Engine stopped implies very low rpm and oil pressure. Even with the rpm lever at min (full backwards), the engine is rotating slower than selected, which drives the propeller to full fine pitch (and max drag).

Similarly, when the engine is running and loses its oil (e.g. due to battle damage), the pressure goes down and the governor will move the propeller blades to full fine, which can overspeed the engine.

Nope. Just tried it. The rpm lever changes the rpm even with the engine stopped. I don't know the internal works of it, I read about the system long ago and don't remember how it works. Being aerodynamic flow the force driving the propeller spin, the only reason for the rpm change has to be a change in the propeller angle.

Nope. Just tried it. The rpm lever changes the rpm even with the engine stopped. I don't know the internal works of it, I read about the system long ago and don't remember how it works. Being aerodynamic flow the force driving the propeller spin, the only reason for the rpm change has to be a change in the propeller angle.

Or air density or airspeed...

I have checked it in the sim. The rpm lever selects speed between 1600 and 3000 rpm. Below 110 MPH IAS the rpm will be lower than those 1600 and the rpm lever becomes useless. So it should be useful to retard it above 110 MPH, but the lower the airspeed, the less difference it will make.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Question...can we get Gear Up and Gear Down separated into two control slots for the P-51D and other aircraft that have a simple Up/Down one control option? Please and thanks!

=AV8R=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to DCS in general as well as to this forum. My question may potentially be related not exclusively to P-51D. It is as follows.

I'm not using any Track-IR systems, so for look-around actions I'm using so called "hat" on my joystick. Therefore, a very often used key for me is "Center Ciew" key (default Num5). When I press "Center View" the pilot's view center point doesnt match the reticle. Pilot's view then is directed somewhere below the reticle (see the screenshot). Is it somehow possible to adjust the "Center View" command so that the pilot will be looking directly through the reticle? Maybe I can edit some .lua files or smth else?

c_LpA6ChMqU.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can also set it in he SnapViews.lua which is more precise I guess. I have done it after the first flight in the P-51 and never looked back. look for *** SnapViews["P-51D"] = { *** (without the stars) and scroll down to *** [13] = {--default view ***. Then insert the following numbers:

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 75.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = 0.000000,

x_trans = 0.120000,

y_trans = 0.0400000,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

I think I also set the default FOV to 75, I dont know what the standard is. Just ignore it if you like.

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

• 3 weeks later...

anyone having issues with controls, using the axis tuning settings found here by EvilBivol-1 helped me tame the wild Mustang... No more wing over stalls or pulling too many Gs erratically. I set my stick and pedals to these settings he was using...

Also, I had a logitech Extreme 3D Pro that had rock solid raw axis values when centered (no spiking on POTS) but I also had another of the same stick and it was spiking real horribly. Anyways, switching sticks from my Suncom Talon to the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro helped so damn much... I think because of the additional tension on the stick on the 3D pro... It keeps me from pulling too hard.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3678090/4

Question...can we get Gear Up and Gear Down separated into two control slots for the P-51D and other aircraft that have a simple Up/Down one control option? Please and thanks!

=AV8R=

+1

I am so used to flipping the switch down to lower my gear that I have landed the Mustang gear up a few times.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

• 4 weeks later...

Top Speed P-51

Question: I tried out to achieve the maximum speed in horizontal flight which should be around 700kp/h+ (380kts)

In 7400m maximum speed was 665kph (359kts) using WEP (67inHg) and 3000rpm. I was really surprised of a lack of appr. 40kts in top speed.

Does anybody know if the IAS in the exteral view considers CAS (Calibrated Airspeed) and if it differs in the Simulation depending on which aircraft you fly?

I seem to remember it was agreed upon that our Mustang is just a bit slower than it should be. Not much though. Don't know about IAS vs CAS in F2 view, but while trying out my new stick extension today, I decided to do a similar test. With the same engine settings and rads on auto I got her up to 254 kts (IAS in F2 view) somewhere between 24 and 25000 ft, which, depending on online calculator You want to use, falls somewhere between 366 and 380 kts mark. Didn't bother to check the temperature, but it was on "fall" map conditions, and didn't try to close radiator for less drag, because I wanted to get back to base with working engine :D.

Might do some more flying later, but first I have to recall how the hell one could switch between various types of speed and altitude measurements in F2 view. There was a key command for that, but I forgot it!

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.