Rare stall behavior

Albers

Hi everyone,

I was practicing some aerobatics at low speed with the F-16C when I found a rare stall behavior in the flight envelope.

It is an induced situation in which the plane falls flat with zero speed in HUD while rolling from side to side. I have tried to recover the F-16C from this state playing with throttle (from IDLE to full AB), full pitch, raw, roll or even different fuel loads without success. The only way I have managed to regain control has been using the manual pitch override switch while keeping full stick ahead for some seconds. Otherwise everything ends with ejection and aircraft loss.

I experienced this phenomenon for the first time last December in version 2.5.5.41371 but it still occurs in version 2.5.5.41962.

I have attached a .trk file in which I reproduce the issue. You can use the option take control and try yourself. Probably a slight increase of pitch authority at slow speed could solve it.

Cheers

f16_flat_v2_5_5_41371.trk

Sound like normal and intended behavior. That is the sole purpose of the manual pitch override switch.

Some examples of the MPO being use after departure

video is set to 6:20, just hit play.

This is a direct PDF link to Semper viper, CODE One magazine. Page 10 has a good article about it. Keep in mind this is on old F-16, some of the details will not apply to the DCS F-16

https://www.codeonemagazine.com/images/C1_SemperViper_1_1271449318_9999.pdf

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• ED Team

Hi Albers,

welcome to the forum,

thanks your track shows this unrecoverable stall very well in open beta.

We do have some flight model tweaks coming in a future patch, when I test the track in our internal build I can recover from the stall.

thank you

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi,

Thank you for your quick and precise replies.

BIGNEWY, glad to know that you are tweaking the flight model in a future patch and you can recover the aircraft in your internal build. Congratulations on the DCS F-16C, I am really enjoying it.

msvgas, your video is very interesting as well as the documention regarding deep stalls and manual pitch override in F-16C. Excellent input.

Cheers

• ED Team
Hi,

Thank you for your quick and precise replies.

BIGNEWY, glad to know that you are tweaking the flight model in a future patch and you can recover the aircraft in your internal build. Congratulations on the DCS F-16C, I am really enjoying it.

msvgas, your video is very interesting as well as the documention regarding deep stalls and manual pitch override in F-16C. Excellent input.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words, good to hear you are enjoying it.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2