What are the chances we will see a B-17 DLC some day?

oscar19681

Honestly, I think ED is making a HUGE mistake with their handling of DCS:WW2. They need to prioritize getting at least some basic AI assets (both air and ground) in first, THEN worry about additional modules. It doesn't need to be a full compendium of every aircraft to serve in WW2, but there should at least be a low-end German fighter, a light strike aircraft for each side (Stuka, P-47/ A-36 or similar), a light bomber/strike for each side (A-20/A-26/Mosquito/Beaufort/Me410), and a heavy bomber for the allies, along with a truck, tank, APC (halftrack), artillery piece, and 20-40mm AA gun for each side. With that bare-bones basis, one can start building actual campaigns. Actual missions. Actual CONTENT. You know, something to DO.

ED apparently sees DCS as a "sandbox sim". The problem is, they keep selling us shovels and pails, but there is no sand in the sandbox!

• Like 1

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think ED is making a HUGE mistake with their handling of DCS:WW2. They need to prioritize getting at least some basic AI assets (both air and ground) in first, THEN worry about additional modules. It doesn't need to be a full compendium of every aircraft to serve in WW2, but there should at least be a low-end German fighter, a light strike aircraft for each side (Stuka, P-47/ A-36 or similar), a light bomber/strike for each side (A-20/A-26/Mosquito/Beaufort/Me410), and a heavy bomber for the allies, along with a truck, tank, APC (halftrack), artillery piece, and 20-40mm AA gun for each side. With that bare-bones basis, one can start building actual campaigns. Actual missions. Actual CONTENT. You know, something to DO.

ED apparently sees DCS as a "sandbox sim". The problem is, they keep selling us shovels and pails, but there is no sand in the sandbox!

+1 :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• ED Team

I think you underestimate the amount of work it takes adding a whole era to a sim. Just for starters, there are a lot of weapons systems from WWII that arent going to work with some serious coding changes. All these mods we see popping up are great, but have issues that I wouldnt want to see ED release. I am ok with them taking their time. They have a lot going on besides this as well.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I think you underestimate the amount of work it takes adding a whole era to a sim. Just for starters, there are a lot of weapons systems from WWII that arent going to work with some serious coding changes. All these mods we see popping up are great, but have issues that I wouldnt want to see ED release. I am ok with them taking their time. They have a lot going on besides this as well.

+1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I can definitely understand ED are busy. It would be great if they could focus on making some small changes that would allow the modding community here to fill in the blanks. The work that's been done on an AI B-17 has been incredible and I think modders will happily flesh out all sorts of WWII units, but at the moment there are some issues with the AI. If the devs could fix those I think people could start having fun doing WWII things in DCS. Would be awesome for growing the community.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Would buy a Fortress DLC in a heartbeat, provided that the beast was relatively complete at release and wouldn't hang in EA for ages. But then, our maps are kind of small for heavies anyway...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Would buy a Fortress DLC in a heartbeat, provided that the beast was relatively complete at release and wouldn't hang in EA for ages. But then, our maps are kind of small for heavies anyway...

Maybe a little small but not too small hehe :)

I would buy B-17 module too

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Chances are pretty small to see B-17 module any time soon.

I remember old topic about this, ED said something that b-17 is very problematic and very complex plane with multi crew

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The B-17 previously was a "problem" by only build single engine WW2 aircrafts, but remember ED has building a Mosquito FB bomber. Waiting about more progress coming in a future and can forward multicrew and multiengine modules.

Oh, yes i forgot to add multi engine.

Anyway B-17 isn't even announced, it will take years, plenty planes in schedule still from ww2 in development.

At least turbo-supercharger model will be ready for B-17 so it is done by small percentage already :)

Edited by grafspee

• 4 months later...

I think the B-17 concept is many folks dream, listening to the human effort involved from Nick Grey talking about what it takes for single seaters, and with a reasonable out-take on the process, this would be something almost inconceivable by way of complexity and time. The up-front cost of millions of space bucks to produce this would need a redesign of what Early access really is, the numbers would definitely surprise everyone. Alone, comparing a single cockpit render in polys and effort to the interior of the Fortress done to ED standard, is a staggering multiplication. Then you have multiplayer networking and Single player automation, the AI for example has to handle a single player jumping into the bombers position and fly the run in realistically rather than some drunk current AI, all those stations need to act to do their part or relinquish to a single player, or combination of players.

I think I'd like to see the real numbers on this, a proper investigation to cost, it would need an entire studio of at least 50 folks working on this full time for years, like a product on it's own. I'm sure they have had at least a couple of possibly short discussions on it over the years, I wonder what the real requirements are and if the customers pockets could support it? I know made up figures are made up, but lets multiply a single module by crew members in a B-17 for a bit and consider that as the starting price, would anyone be interested in a $600 module? The "giving a left kidney" metaphor might have to stretch to both kidneys? Star Citizen is still going making this sort of complexity of ship. I'd love to listen to Nick, Wags and Kate, all having a dinner party with a chalkboard and doign the evaluation for this after too many sherries, it would make a great Youtube video!

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *