Spitfire first take-off; first "landing" observations

Okay, so shall we share our initial thoughts, experiences and tips?

First takeoff: it just shot into the air while I was still settling in to my seat. My stick was back and it nearly stalled. So, really short take-off roll!

Landing: came in gently; thought I had a nice rate of descent. Nope, bounced up a long way. Came down hard, broke one prop blade.

Otherwise, I walked away on the first go!

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! Sounds about right...

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I always feel like I'm landing on a rubber runway with the WWII birds. The bounces seem really exaggurated.

It can be done without bounce...your just not doing it with precision.

The best touch down is when you don't even feel it.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

First takeoff: it just shot into the air while I was still settling in to my seat. My stick was back and it nearly stalled. So, really short take-off roll!

Ah yes, that'll be the old "trim nose down for take-off" thing. I say why stop her from flying when that's what she wants to do :music_whistling:

Wags note: Landing at 95 mph is waaaaay to fast. Touchdown should be between 60 and 70 mph.

The bounces seem really exaggurated.

Nope. just get the right 3 points attitude. at 95mph or less

So ... first take off and landing (with half fuel) was done without any damage ( and without any bounce )

first feeling :

- very hard to taxi straight. have to practice.( tail wheel...)

- front wheel seems very closed from each other ...on landing.

- such a beauty... it's amazing

- did a few roll and loop. God, ...incredible feeling

- I though I know well the spit, but for sure ... I don't. It's a joy to discover.

Edited by Wags

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Around the pitch axis, the spit seems veeeery sensitive. Without calibrating the axis curve it is nearly uncontrollable for me with my hotas t.flight and so i nearly crashed during takeoff. I instantly got an angle of attack of about 60° or so :D And then the instructor has the nerves to say "keep the stick pulled and release it gently" :pilotfly:

• ED Team

For takeoff, the throttle should be run up to +7 to +9 boost in about six seconds. With proper elevator trim, she will lift off by herself.

I set my takeoff elevator trim to the center position on the indicator.

Edited by Wags

• ED Team
Around the pitch axis, the spit seems veeeery sensitive. Without calibrating the axis curve it is nearly uncontrollable for me with my hotas t.flight and so i nearly crashed during takeoff. I instantly got an angle of attack of about 60° or so :D And then the instructor has the nerves to say "keep the stick pulled and release it gently" :pilotfly:

Sounds like you have too much nose up trim at takeoff. Very easy to control here.

• ED Team
I imagined the TO being harder - for me it just needs a bit more getting used to the plane for more refinement but otherwise it is quite enjoyable on TO.

I find it even easier to TO than the 109.

Yes, quite easy once have get the basics down and have the right amount of takeoff trim set.

Good use of rudder is also important, and even more so when landing.

I had an assistance for take off set to 100%

Me too. Took off without problems, thought "hmmm, this is too easy", noticed the TO assistance is on, turned it off, went back, tried again and promptly veered off the runway, crashed and burned. :megalol:

Love this bird. She really is a stunner!

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I imagined the TO being harder - for me it just needs a bit more getting used to the plane for more refinement but otherwise it is quite enjoyable on TO.

I find it even easier to TO than the 109.

Yep, I would say and even easier than this damned FW190 :megalol:

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Wags, I watched the video and that helped. I do my run up checks and adjust the Engine RPMs. Once centered on the runway, center pitch trim, and then I jam the throttle to 3000 RPM quickly. That gives me good rudder authority right from the get go. I do seem to be doing a right wing dip at times, easily recoverable. She does lift off on her own. A couple of times I didn't even realize it. I adjusted my my Buttkicker and now can feel the smooth air once the wheels leave the ground. Landings...Still working on that.

Edited by Scooternutz
I suck at spelling.

• ED Team
Wags, I watched the video and that helped. I do my run up checks and adjust the Engine RPMs. Once centered on the runway, center pitch trim, and then I jam the throttle to 3000 RPM quickly. That gives me good rudder authority right from the get go. I do seem to be doing a right wing dip at times, easily recoverable. She does lift off on her own. A couple of times I didn't even realize it. I adjusted my my Buttkicker and now can feel the smooth air once the wheels leave the ground. Landings...Still working on that.

Good job!