Problems with training mission 1

sniperpr1

Hello,

I am using a PSVR as my VR headset. The problem I'm having is that I've been trying to complete training mission #1 (Cold and Dark Start), but when I reach the part where I have to press and turn the switches/knobs in the intercom panel, nothing happens with the yellow squares that indicate what I'm supposed to click and I cannot continue the mission. What makes matters worse is that the yellow squares make it almost impossible for me to see what I'm supposed to click. I've lowered my head to see if I can see through them and I've also used Chuck's Guide as reference, but to no avail. I will be really, REALLY grateful if anyone can help me. Also, is there someway to turn off the squares temporarily during the mission? I want to turn them off or make them (preferably) less visible so they don't block my view. Once again, thanks.

May I suggest that you do the training using a Monitor rather than VR?

Once you've finished the training missions, you can then practice on VR using these missions that I edited for myself when I was learning the C101:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=229128

Here is a more detailed start up procedure than the one of Aviodev, perhaps you find it easier to use .. it's on a size appropiate for the kneeboard, so you can use it on VR.

Best regards

Eduardo

C-101EB Normal Procedures.pdf

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

... Is there a way to turn off the yellow squares though?

Not that I know off ... those squares are the main element of training, if you could turn them off the cadet wouldnt know where is the control he is being taught about. I wish they were a bit subtler and the mission designer only highlited one control at a time.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys anyone looks like passing the throttle test at Step 7 of Mission 1 you need to presss 'Space bar' when you move the throttle to the top. I don't believe this is mentioned in the dialog nor text displayed.

I am on open beta.

Cheers,

Ed

Edited by ehills666

• 6 months later...

I can't get more than a few minutes into the mission before I want to punch the voice actor for sounding like a condescending jerk. I mean I spent about 10 minutes(!) going step-by-step doing the pre-start check of the cockpit and quit around step 34(!!), before I actually started the igniter(!?), because I couldn't stand listening to the guy.

"...yeah, I read the manual..."

So did I, just shut up tell me how to start the jet...

Easily, without a doubt, the worst tutorial mission I've played in DCS.

Edited by panton41

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

I can't get more than a few minutes into the mission before I want to punch the voice actor for sounding like a condescending jerk. ...

May I suggest learning the Cold Start trough Chuck's Guide? https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-c-101cc-aviojet/

Chuck's is for the CC version, but the procedure for the EB version is very similar.

Hello,

I am using a PSVR as my VR headset. The problem I'm having is that I've been trying to complete training mission #1 (Cold and Dark Start), but when I reach the part where I have to press and turn the switches/knobs in the intercom panel, nothing happens with the yellow squares that indicate what I'm supposed to click and I cannot continue the mission. What makes matters worse is that the yellow squares make it almost impossible for me to see what I'm supposed to click. I've lowered my head to see if I can see through them and I've also used Chuck's Guide as reference, but to no avail. I will be really, REALLY grateful if anyone can help me. Also, is there someway to turn off the squares temporarily during the mission? I want to turn them off or make them (preferably) less visible so they don't block my view. Once again, thanks.

In step 36, intercom panel, you just need to click (left mouse click) on HOT MIC and TALK buttons, since all other buttons are already set (buttons open and selector in UHF position). They are highlighted just in case you have moved any of the switches/buttons before reaching that step, in which case you would really need to click on them.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sigpic97175_2_small.pngAERGES-LOGO-sin_fondo_small.png

Hi Guys anyone looks like passing the throttle test at Step 7 of Mission 1 you need to presss 'Space bar' when you move the throttle to the top. I don't believe this is mentioned in the dialog nor text displayed.

I am on open beta.

Cheers,

Ed

You don't need to press space bar in step 7 (throttle check), in fact pressing space bar will have no effect. What you need to do is what is said in the text and audio: move it out of stop, advance it fully forward, retard it completely to idle, and set it to stop. To do so, just click on it (left mouse click on the highlighted area), move it fully forward, then move it fully back and click on that area again (left mouse click), then the mission will move to next step.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I encountered some problems in training mission 1:

- on some step after engine start (I don't remember the exact number, sorry) he asked to turn VOR on, but immediately jumped to the next step even if VOR was still off

- some steps after there was the ailerons visual check, but I got stuck there as I couldn't find a way to go on: I moved the ailerons full left-right but nothing, pressed specebar but also nothing (and it wasn't adviced to press it go on), changed trim.... I abandoned the mission

Now, to me the voice is not unpleasent, but he speaks too much, and the training is too long, it's not possible to skip steps doing things faster, or pressing spacebar when possible, we must wait the end of each speech, so, even if problems will be resolved, it's a pain to start it over again.

By the way, I found another problem, not strictly related to this mission, but with startup from cold and dark (maybe it's better a specific thread, but I prefere to anticipate): in more then one case it wasn't possible to start the engine: at the step to hold ignition switch on start for 2 second did nothing, the ignition lamp didn't illuminate, the only result was N2 rising to 20 then falling to 0 (while N1, after little delay respect to N2, rised to 10 and then falled down), and after few seconds this routine repeated, over and over again, no way to stop it, even disconnecting gpu, switching off batteries.... The last time happened in train miz 1, I followed all steps of checklist, only differences were: when checking ignition switch is OFF I wrongly moved it to start, and also to continuos, but after put it to OFF; and also when checking 4 pump switches OFF I moved some of them to AUTO or to MAN, but after put on OFF... these are steps in before start checklist, so no GPU, no batteries, so these errors are expected to be inifluential on next steps...

And after today update it seams that I can't fire, neither gun or weapons at pylons.

- on some step after engine start (I don't remember the exact number, sorry) he asked to turn VOR on, but immediately jumped to the next step even if VOR was still off

That's right, we'll look at it, though it doesn't prevent the mission to continue, but just facilitates it.

- some steps after there was the ailerons visual check, but I got stuck there as I couldn't find a way to go on: I moved the ailerons full left-right but nothing, pressed specebar but also nothing (and it wasn't adviced to press it go on), changed trim.... I abandoned the mission

There is no issue with ailerons check, you just simply need to move the stick left and right to full deflection, you probably have a faulty joystick or you are using a specific profile that prevents full controls deflection.

Now, to me the voice is not unpleasent, but he speaks too much, and the training is too long, it's not possible to skip steps doing things faster, or pressing spacebar when possible, we must wait the end of each speech, so, even if problems will be resolved, it's a pain to start it over again.

That can be easily avoided by simply using time acceleration (LCtrl+Z) and returning to normal time (LShift+Z).

By the way, I found another problem, not strictly related to this mission, but with startup from cold and dark (maybe it's better a specific thread, but I prefere to anticipate): in more then one case it wasn't possible to start the engine: at the step to hold ignition switch on start for 2 second did nothing, the ignition lamp didn't illuminate, the only result was N2 rising to 20 then falling to 0 (while N1, after little delay respect to N2, rised to 10 and then falled down), and after few seconds this routine repeated, over and over again, no way to stop it, even disconnecting gpu, switching off batteries.... The last time happened in train miz 1, I followed all steps of checklist, only differences were: when checking ignition switch is OFF I wrongly moved it to start, and also to continuos, but after put it to OFF; and also when checking 4 pump switches OFF I moved some of them to AUTO or to MAN, but after put on OFF... these are steps in before start checklist, so no GPU, no batteries, so these errors are expected to be inifluential on next steps…

You are misusing the engine. Probably burning out the starter (ignition on for too long), or stalling the aircraft, or something else. You should follow correct aircraft procedures.

And after today update it seams that I can't fire, neither gun or weapons at pylons.

Please take a look at the changelog published in this forum. Now you should open the Stores Release Guard to fire rockets or missiles or release bombs, and you should unlock the Trigger Safety Catch to shoot cannon/cannons. Or select Easy Flight in main options (Easy Flight option in C-101 only applies to this case, it doesn't affect flight model or anything else).

Edited by Vibora

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fixed. You can use this mission/missions. Extract the content of the rar in \Mods\aircraft\C-101\Missions, replacing the original files with these ones.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
That's right, we'll look at it, though it doesn't prevent the mission to continue, but just facilitates it.

I checked it, it is ok now.

There is no issue with ailerons check, you just simply need to move the stick left and right to full deflection, you probably have a faulty joystick or you are using a specific profile that prevents full controls deflection.
This time I had no issues, I haven't changed anything on my joystick/curves etc. (it's an X-56, perfectly calibrated), did you change the accepted ranges (e.g. 2%-98% instead of 0%-100%)?

That can be easily avoided by simply using time acceleration (LCtrl+Z) and returning to normal time (LShift+Z).
Nice trick, thanks! It didn't came to mind...

You are misusing the engine. Probably burning out the starter (ignition on for too long), or stalling the aircraft, or something else. You should follow correct aircraft procedures.
In order to help improve this little nice aircraft, I took some time and did some tests, so I found that the root cause was in the Ignition Switch. Try following steps:

- Start cold and dark

- Move Ignition Switch to START (and then let it back to OFF)

- Battery ON

From this moment the engine tries to start, this means that the Ignition Switch internally triggers the engine start even if it is not elettrified. So, after that, it could happened what you say.

But the expected beaviour to me is that moving electrical switches while everything is OFF and not electrified shouldn't change anything (any internal state).

Hope it helps.

Please take a look at the changelog published in this forum. Now you should open the Stores Release Guard to fire rockets or missiles or release bombs, and you should unlock the Trigger Safety Catch to shoot cannon/cannons. Or select Easy Flight in main options (Easy Flight option in C-101 only applies to this case, it doesn't affect flight model or anything else).
Thanks, I didn't catch that. It could help to update the manual. And also it would be nice to make them clickable :)

• 1 month later...
Hi, but I hesitated to write here

I purchased C-101 and tried to learn the training start-up, but there is no text, is this still in the middle?

I'd like to have some text, as it can be overlooked if it's only audio.

What language are you taking the training in?

I have noticed for knobs you need a mouse wheel could that be the problem lt and rt clicks don’t cut it

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.